PDA

View Full Version : CDL or Leader 2x6

western mainer
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I need help. I have looked at the CDL 2x6 and seen pic. of the Patriot 2x6 which one would you buy? I'm green at this, and would like to know the pros and cons about each one.
Thanks Brian

holstein
07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a cdl 2x6. I have been using it for about four years. It is a raised flu and without the blower it would boil 25 gal hr. certain fast burning wood like pine, poplar would increase that a little. last year i added a blower and i easily averaged 45gal hr. i didn't get the blower from the evaporator manufacture, it was an old furnace blower.

western mainer
07-23-2011, 06:59 AM
So with the blower is there any problem with it being open under the grates?
And how do the grates hold up ?
Thanks Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I would think the grates would hold up even better with a blower because you are blowing all the cool air on the underside of the grates and cooling them.

Look at price and customer service and make sure you have a dealer that is going to be there when you need something.

holstein
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
without the blower ash builds up and plugs the grates. It plugged the grates real fast when using wood with a lot of bark, ash elm, etc. now i only burn elm and locust that the bark has fallen off of. The blower didn't hurt the grates but I cracked the front of the arch with to much air. by the middle of the season the air was adjusted and it boiled just fine.

western mainer
07-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Brian

nymapleguy607
07-25-2011, 04:10 AM
I have a Leader set of pans and like them. It pretty much is a ford chevy thing, I'm not sure if CDL uses a cross flow syrup pan or even if the flow is reversible. I like that I can change direction without pulling the syrup pan.

Maple Ridge
07-26-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a CDL evaperator which I purchased last season. When I had issues setting it up, I called the manufacture, and they were very helpful. Bascoms have a large selection of brands and sizes on there floor to look at. The problem with going to Bascoms is, there is so much nice stuff there, you may spend more that you want. Like a kid in a candy store.

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Like a kid in a candy store.

there got rid of it sorry if I offended you

Killington Maple
07-26-2011, 07:11 PM
To me, it's all in the flues. I looked at as 2x6 CDL at Bascom's and counted the number of flues in the back pan. There were 10. I was really surprised!Look at a Leader and you'll find 8. Figure the square inches exposed to the boiling sap and you'll see quickly which one will boil better.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-26-2011, 09:52 PM
or an adult in an Adult Store:D

Is that necessary????

Bucket Head
07-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Just a thought on the different brands- do they all use the same gauge stainless steel? I'm not sure myself. Thinner sheet metal will have a little better heat transfer. Pan thickness might be a point to compare on them. Anyone know what the different manufacturers are using?

Steve

3rdgen.maple
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Im still scratching my head about only getting 25gph out of the cdl. I would seriously consider taking a drive to see them in person first and while your at it check some others as well. Its a big decision to make and alot of coin to boot. I would recomend getting all stainless its worth the extra money.