PDA

View Full Version : Working Hard, or Hardly Working

peckfarm
07-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Hard workers are a thing of the past, any old timer would be willing to pass that judgment on laborers of my generation and those around us. In spite of new technologies that make syrup production more efficient, making maple still requires a lot of work. There is a toll for all late hours, heavy lifting and level of focus required to make syrup. What experiences have you all had with the maple torch being passed to lazy or inattentive maple farmers not ready or willing to do the work required to make sugar?

Ausable
07-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Hard workers are a thing of the past, any old timer would be willing to pass that judgment on laborers of my generation and those around us. In spite of new technologies that make syrup production more efficient, making maple still requires a lot of work. There is a toll for all late hours, heavy lifting and level of focus required to make syrup. What experiences have you all had with the maple torch being passed to lazy or inattentive maple farmers not ready or willing to do the work required to make sugar?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! Now I don't have use for just plain lazy folks - That would say - sit on the couch - in a chemical haze - letting their life go by and accomplishing nothing. On the other hand - working your butt off - not having any fun and not really accomplishing anything much - makes no sense either. To me the American and Canadian way is having the freedom to Get 'er done and still have the attitude that there has to be a better way than this ---- and that is where the innovation and tinkering comes in and that is a good and healthy thing.............

maplecrest
07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
in my thoughts about this is to work smarter not harder. lets see when i was a kid. when sugaring season came around you hooked up horses and broke trails to freeze in so sled with buckets could get there. then there was the emptying of buckets. washing felt filters. cutting firewood ect. then came into play when i took over all tubing, no buckets. no horses. oil fired evap. filterpress. vacuum on all taps. r/o . press syrup into s.s.drums to jug later, not in sugar house. sugar house next to main road not in woods.for power and visitors to buy syrup. to say as the 8th generation to make syrup in this farm, the lazy ones you speak of will not make it in the maple business long.

Mark
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Around here if someone inherits some land with trees a logger is called soon for a quick thinning and then the land is sold. After that you see a new truck parked at the locale bar.
The new owner of the land then does a clear cut to recover some of the purchase price.