PDA

View Full Version : Unique Opportunity

turtlemaple
02-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

Kathy and I are new to this board, but have really enjoyed the sharing of information. We have gotten some great ideas.

We have only been suggarin for a couple years in the backyard, but we really love it. What started out as a science project with 8 taps on the BBQ has now turned into over 150 taps and a small operation including a UV sterilizer, pre-heater...

Here is where you are going to think we are crazy!! This year we have invited the entire 3rd grade of the local elementary school and two of the classes of the 6th grade at the Middle School, to our house for a field trip. There will be 3 shifts of kids; 8a-10a the 6th grade (about 60 kids), 10a - 12n the 3rd grade (about 60 kids), and 12n - 2p another group of 3rd graders (about 60 kids). All together with kids, teachers and adults there will be close to 200 people going through our back yard on that day...

We are thinking as the kids come off the bus we are going to break them into 4 groups (about 15 kids each) and each will go to a station for about 20 minutes and then rotate to the next station. The stations are as follows...
1. General history and nature of maple syrup
2. Tapping, Tubing, Collection
3. Processing/boiling
4. Finishing, Filtering and Bottling

Kathy is going to handle station 4 and I will handle station 3. But here is where you are really going to think we are crazy... we need two people to help out with stations 1 and 2. We have articles from the internet and we have other resources that you can read, if you don't know the info already. Also, since these are kids I doubt they will be doing a tremendous amount of fact checking, so you can some some amount of ad-libbing.

We are hoping there might be a couple of people in this group that would get a kick out of this.

Here are the details:

March 2nd
We will probably start boiling around 6am so that we are well underway by the time the first group gets here. You could show up as late as 7:30a if you wanted. You would be done by 2pm but you are welcome to stick around and chat with us and recap the day.

We live in North Andover, MA and are less than 15 minutes from 495, 95 and 93.

You can reach us at 978-258-2889 or by email at info@turtlelanemaplefarm.com

Hope to hear from at least a couple of you good folks.

Best regards,

Paul and Kathy

Jay
02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Just Mapblasted it, wish I were closer, would have been more then happy to be there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Jay

maplehound
02-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Wish I could help but Ohio is a bit far to come. We do a tour evry year of third graders from a local private school. I always send them home with a sample bottle of syrup and a coloring book. Also give them a candy sample. I might suggest that you have alot of syrup bottled for them to buy. I wssually sell about $100 worth every year and I only get about 20 students. It is surprising how much money those parents send along with them for this. Also a couple days before they come send them a price list.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
Ron

maple flats
02-15-2006, 05:01 AM
Sorry, can't come that far during what should also be my season but I bet it would be fun. I have no backup, if I don't get my collection and boiling done no one will. My wife does help boil but I need to get the evap. going and have everything set. I have over 300 taps on a 2 x 6, no RO and if I don't keep up and we have more than 2 good days without a break i would lose sap. She has never run alone for more than about 3 hrs. and the collecting from half of mine is done with the truck which she will not drive, says it is too high (4x4) half ton real nice shape automatic but she is intimidated by bigger than a med size car. I must pass. Sounds like a great plan there, let us all know how it turns out.

Dave Y
02-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Paul,
First I don't think you are crazy. I think it is a teriffic idea,as a matter of fact i have been approached about something simalar. unfountatly I am not set up well enough to do it. It sounds like you have it very well organized and you should do fine. I would like to help you,but I am in NW Pa. and it would be impossible for me to get there by 6or 7:30 am. Good luck to you. I am sure someone will step forward.

Dave