PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a filter press in Lower MI to see, measure

user587
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi, I'm thinking about building a filter press, basically copying the standard commercial models. I have access to machines, materials, etc... I'm looking for a friendly maple pro who may have one that I could photograph, disassemble, measure, etc... for an hour or two to get me started. And to talk maple syrup in general, of course.

Thanks for considering! Scott

Haynes Forest Products
07-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I would get a part time job as a machinist and use the money to buy a good Filter press and then when you get real good..........................Well you know

user587
07-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the advice - and re-reading my post I see why you responded that way. I should clarify - I'm not thinking to fumble around and make one myself on a machine. I'm an engineer of custom machines, including the design and outsourcing of *many* custom engineering NC machined parts regularly. So my thought is that a filter press (from my visual recollection looking at one in the showroom once) is simply a set of machined alum. parts and some hardware - stuff I'm pretty familiar with - and I would reverse design it and then have the components made.

So maybe if someone has one that needs a little repair/modification, or maybe an added plate or so, I could attempt to help out somehow in return to let me inspect the unit to be able to make one.

Thanks for considering!

beetree
08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I bought one this spring that an old high school shop teacher built. I think its almost as old as I am. I was skeptical at first but after I power washed all the saw dust off and ran 200 gal. of syrup through it,I was very impressed. If you can machine, or cast aluminum it should be easy to make. Never buy what you can make!