PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Leak

SeanD
07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
After it rains, I'm finding pools of water on top of the plate the base stack sits on. I thought the water was sneaking in between the stack and the collar, but I can't see nor feel any signs of water running down the outside of the stack. So I figured, it's getting through the stack cover's screws and running down the inside of the stack.

Well I just pulled off the stack and can't find any trace of water running down the inside. I even poured water over the stack cover and the inside is bone dry. So now I believe the water must be running down the vertical seam of the stack. It would explain why I can't see nor feel rivulets and it's also where the collar does not make a tight seal with the stack. The seam bumps out a little bit so the collar can't make a tight circle.

Does this happen to anyone else? Should I put a dab of caulk where the seam and the collar meet? Any other fixes?

Sean

spud
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Sean,

Buy a roll of aluminum heat tape and tape all the seams. All hardware stores sell it for about $10.00

Spud

Ausable
07-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Sean,

Buy a roll of aluminum heat tape and tape all the seams. All hardware stores sell it for about $10.00

Spud

Hey Spud -- Thanks for the tip -----

wiam
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I built a plenum around my base stack to warm air for aof this spring. I used aluminum tape to seal the joints in this outer sheet metal and the tape did not last for the first boil before it fell off. I would try high temp caulking available at hardware stores. What I found was red if that helps.

William

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Temp RTV gasket sealer a real small bead around it

SeanD
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with the aluminum heat tape. Thanks for the tip, Spud. We'll see how we do the next time it rains.

If it works in the off season, but falls off on the first boil, I can live with that. That will give me about 46 to 48 weeks of a water tight seal.

Thanks again,
Sean

3rdgen.maple
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
This is one reason why I take my stack down every year. Also keeps the moisture out of the arch.

red maples
07-15-2011, 06:13 AM
caulk doesn't work for me....rtv High temp gasket sealer the way to go. I tried the caulk still had elasticity but separated and the peeled off the first boil.

Ausable
07-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Just remember - a small leak or two - give our Sugar Shacks character......