PDA

View Full Version : Triage!

adk1
07-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, coming to the realization real quick that I cant get everything done that I need to. That being said, starting to figure out what I need to get done.

#1. finish splitting my sapwood, about 1/2 done right now
#2. Clean out the garage/saphouse and prepare for installation of evap. Build the coupola, install eval and smoke stack!
#3. Wont get to build my woodshed off the back of the garage/sugarhouse, so am going to opt for stacking the sapwood on pallets and using metal roofing to cover. WIll be a PITA but that is the only thing I can do.
#4. Get mainline run/wire etc.
#5. Build support for 275 gallon tank being given to me.
#5. Order all of my taps/fittings for my laterals
#6. Run my lats (mid fall) and fittings installed etc.

If I can get everything done in that order I should make it!

maple flats
07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the club. My thought has always been that if you get everything done you didn't plan enough to do. Just try to prioritize and hack away on the list.

Ausable
07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi there adk1 - Sounds like You are moving right along. Yep - I agree - the woodshed is low priority compared to some of the other jobs You have listed. If You get some kind of cover over your wood (Tarps - metal - etc) before the snow flies - Your wood will be ok by sugaring time. Sounds like You have a nice size holding or storage tank - what do you have in mind for a feed tank? Hey - hope all goes well for You ---

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, coming to the realization real quick that I cant get everything done that I need to. That being said, starting to figure out what I need to get done.

#1. finish splitting my sapwood, about 1/2 done right now
#2. Clean out the garage/saphouse and prepare for installation of evap. Build the coupola, install eval and smoke stack!
#3. Wont get to build my woodshed off the back of the garage/sugarhouse, so am going to opt for stacking the sapwood on pallets and using metal roofing to cover. WIll be a PITA but that is the only thing I can do.
#4. Get mainline run/wire etc.
#5. Build support for 275 gallon tank being given to me.
#5. Order all of my taps/fittings for my laterals
#6. Run my lats (mid fall) and fittings installed etc.

If I can get everything done in that order I should make it!

first change name from ADK(Attention Deficit Kid1) to Adirindak maple king or something along those lines and then move foreward.
\
JK buddy sounds like you getting as much done as you can

3rdgen.maple
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
ADK you are going to amaze yourself when it comes down to the wire and you have a ton of work left just how fast you can get it all in place for the season. Clean the dang garage over the winter and set up the evap over the winter as well. Get your wood undercover that you have no place to burn it or sap to boil with it yet lol. Just get the chainsaw out in the spring and rip a big hole in the roof and throw a tarp over it, come on man your a redneck improvise:rolleyes: What amazed me was the amount of time it took to setup a bush on tubing. Dont put it off completely plug away at it. You might find yourself in the middle of winter freezing your hands off trying to finish it up. Every january I start to get that same feeling you have right now. But somehow it all gets done and what didnt, well I guess it just wasnt that important atleast yet. I had big plans this year for upgrades and still havent started any off it except getting half my new vac setup up in the woods.

adk1
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi there adk1 - Sounds like You are moving right along. Yep - I agree - the woodshed is low priority compared to some of the other jobs You have listed. If You get some kind of cover over your wood (Tarps - metal - etc) before the snow flies - Your wood will be ok by sugaring time. Sounds like You have a nice size holding or storage tank - what do you have in mind for a feed tank? Hey - hope all goes well for You ---

My storage tank will be my feed tank. My mainline will gravity right down to the side of my sugarhouse (N facing side) and then I will use a hose from the bottom of the tank with the fitting for the float box. Plug it in and roll! I need to elevate the tank some, havent figured how much yet till I get the evap setup.

Ausable
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
My storage tank will be my feed tank. My mainline will gravity right down to the side of my sugarhouse (N facing side) and then I will use a hose from the bottom of the tank with the fitting for the float box. Plug it in and roll! I need to elevate the tank some, havent figured how much yet till I get the evap setup.

Makes sense - You must have some pretty good hills. I use plastic drums for holding tanks and my feed tank only holds 30 gallons. So I pump up to my feed tank with a submersable sump pump - works for me. LOL - and No - I don't pull it out of the sump pit come sugarin time. During the freezing weather - I do have a problem with line freeze at the base of my feed tank and into the shack during startup - I hang a propane lantern just below it to thaw it out - quicker then a blow dryer. Guessin - You will need a shutoff valve at the base of your tank - could put in a T and have another small valve to use as a vent to drain your line on shutdown -- Daaaah on my part - with running lines you know all about those kind of problems -- Good Luck

adk1
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah, pretty good hill. I ahvent measured it exactly yet, but it should work out. Gonna split some more wood tonight!

adk1
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
A pic of my "Garage sugarhouse" Hill/sugarbush is to the right.

Ausable
07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
What a great looking setup. Sharp looking building. Next to a paved highway. Highly visable. If You are going to sell Maple Syrup from that Sugar Shack You should do very good..........

red maples
07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
you'll get r done you have plenty of time....just don't tell yourself that. :rolleyes:

So what are you waiting for .....get to it!!! get off the computer put down the TV remote and git r done!!!

adk1
07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
yup, thats where I will sell from. Lots of work to do to get there first though! IT is a County Highway, dead end actually, I live about 1/2 way up it. With only makeing around 25 gallons if I am lucky I expect to sell it all off pretty quick! minus 5 gallons for family

07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
I thought you were running mainline and wire in june so does that mean you will start in 2013:D:lol:

adk1
07-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, June came and went and July isnt far behind!

Been feeling down, so I just ordered all of my mainline fittings, spouts, T's etc...

07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Haha I haven't gotten my stuff either but I will get it done

adk1
07-15-2011, 07:36 PM
always fun. I will be making syrup, maybe not as planned but it will be syrup!

Ausable
07-16-2011, 12:33 PM
always fun. I will be making syrup, maybe not as planned but it will be syrup!

Now You have the right attitude and you will be a boiling come Sugarin time - just keep pecking away and don't get overwhelmed and it will all come together for you. ---- Mike

adk1
07-18-2011, 08:02 PM
all of my mainline fittings, spouts and Check valve adapters arrived today! Nice to check those items off my list! Gonna start making some drops soon! I know that I have read that 30" drops are the norm, however, most of my trees are in the 12" range. thinking that might be alittle overkill?

Just placed my order for all of my Lapierre Slide fittings and hooks that I need. Also ordered a few "Y" fittings just in case I need them.