PDA

View Full Version : How do you prep your plastic jugs?

Flat47
07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Up until now we've packed all of our syrup in glass and have never packed in plastic jugs. But...that's going to change. We just got a shipment of Cruchon jugs.

So, here is my question:
How do you folks prep your jugs before filling?
Hot water rinse?
Boil the caps?

I've seen producers just open a new case and start filling the jugs without a rinse or anything. I didn't think that was all that great. How do you know it's clean? With glass bottles I would run them through a wash in the dishwaher, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea with plastic syrup jugs.

Thoughts?

BryanEx
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I use a little compressed air to make sure there aren't any plastic bits in the jug but other than that I let the hot syrup do it's thing.

maple flats
07-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I never run anything trru them. Just be sure you keep them clean. Every case I open, if it will not all be used up, I remove any remainder and pack them tight in either the plastic bag they came in or a new poly bag. I twist tie it shut and place it in a clean tote. Doing it this way I never had a problem. I keep the caps closed in the bag they came in until they get used.

maple flats
07-12-2011, 07:15 PM
My problem with compressed air, is the air totally clean? positively no oil? Most compressors are oil lubricated. If you are using canned air it might work. I have never found anything in a jug except the syrup I put in it. With jugs, don't try to pack more than 3-4 mos ahead unless you will store it in a freezer to preserve absolute best flavor. Lacking freezer, a fridge helps, or at least make sure you store it in the coolest place you have, out of the sun.

Flat47
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the quick replies...I'll go get to work.

BryanEx
07-12-2011, 07:20 PM
My problem with compressed air, is the air totally clean? positively no oil?
Good point but the compressor I use is a small 12 volt jobbie with no oil in it. I just want enough of a "blow" to make sure there's no plastic bits left behind. The cases of 1 litre jugs I get always seem to have a small amount of plastic sawdust in the bottom of the carton liner and that makes me nervous.

jmayerl
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
glass and plastic both get run through the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher, and have been for 2 years without any problems. glass always seems to have alot of cardboard dust and I have found dead flies in a brand new sealed box of plastic.