PDA

View Full Version : Syrup is red?

MassMapleAdict
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Any idea why my syrup keeps coming out red? My maples are mostly Silvers and a couple of Sugars.

maplwrks
02-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I have seen this before, but, it is usually in the late spring when the buds start to pop. I hope it is not a sign of things to come, this winter has been to warm!

gmcooper
02-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Syrup from different bushes can vary some with the natural minerals in the sap. We tend to make a slightly more orange tinted syrup than our cousins. Grade for grade there is a slight difference. We do tap more reds than most but not sure that is totally it either. Soils where most of our taps are are high in iron and am guessing that might be enough to change color slightly?
Mark

MassMapleAdict
02-15-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm talking "blood" red, not just a tint. Tastes great too!

Sugarmaker
02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
We dont tap any silver maples, I would guess that is the source. I have seen that blood red color only at the end of the season when, we the sap was not as fresh, and we we trying to push it through with water. But the taste was not good. Sell the red syrup as a novelty item as long as the flavor and density is OK?
Good Luck. Maybe get some sap from some sugar maples only and try that as a test?
CEC

themapleking
02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I tapped a couple of silvers a few years ago when I used buckets. And I did notice that their sap was darker "rust color" then the sugars and reds. I thought it was bad trees, but it sounds like it's a problem with silvers.
Check the color of your silvers sap.

MassMapleAdict
02-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I checked the sap and its clear as a bell. No tint, darkenss, nuthin!! Doesn't make sense. 8O

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM
All makes sense to me. Long ago when i had more red maple taps then sugar maple taps the syrup i made had more of a redish color to it then golden brown color. It's the nature of the trees i guess you could say...