PDA

View Full Version : Saving my filterings?

cjmiller272
07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Ive just started with syrup and was wondering if the stuff on my filter can be scraped and made as sugar, seems too obvious and simple. u would think everyone would do that to maximize their saps potential??

maple2
07-08-2011, 06:56 AM
there isnt much sugar in the "niter" left on your filter.mostly minerals. old farmer once told me it made great fertilizer

C.Wilcox
07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I know other people in WI save it and sell it as bear bait.

3rdgen.maple
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
You guys ever taste It? Nasy tasting stuff.

Haynes Forest Products
07-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Mix it with Baking soda and bush your teeth with it.

Ausable
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
LOL - Hey there was a time when folks turned their noses up at Chicken Wings and Pork Ribs. Now Buffalo and Hot Wings and BBQ'd Ribs is the American High Cusine. ......Maybe..... Maple Filter Scrapings will catch on to --- ahhhhhhhh! and maybe not.....

DrTimPerkins
07-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Maybe..... Maple Filter Scrapings will catch on to --- ahhhhhhhh! and maybe not.....

1. Would work well as a laxative. Just don't eat much if you plan on being away from the bathroom for any length of time. Bears have the advantage that anywhere they happen to be is their bathroom.
2. If it has DE in it, it'll clear out any intestinal worms you might have (along with increasing the laxative effect).
3. If your equipment contains lead, the niter will have a LOT of lead in it, and would likely exceed the action level for food.

cjmiller272
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the input, won't waste my time on that thought

Ausable
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the input, won't waste my time on that thought

Now - Now - C J - Lets not toss in the towel to quickly. The Good Doctor says it has Laxative and De-Wormer potential. Lets go with that - remember a chocolate covered laxative made a fortune. Now we have "Maple Scrape" The maple flavored laxative that helps end Winter Complaints - eases pressure - rids the lower bowels of unwanted visitors and makes You feel young again. I guess for the young part you would have to add a little alcohol -- lol--. Anyway - You get the idea - An Old Boy once told me that taking a good healthy s##t was better then sex - I ain't that old yet - but - working on it. So think "Maple Scrape" - The laxative that made North America Smile -------

Haynes Forest Products
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Ausable Im happy to report I still can do both and still enjoy them:o HOW ABOUT YOU KEN?

KenWP
07-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Do both of what Haynes.Walk and chew gum.I do know guys who collect all the foam they skim off to make vinegar. I am to old to remember much else.

DrTimPerkins
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
An Old Boy once told me that taking a good healthy s##t was better then sex - I ain't that old yet

Maybe it's the maple syrup keeping you young, which leads to a good story.

Had someone in the maple industry I respect quite a lot call me one spring to ask a question. He hemmed and hawed a bit, then came out with it.

He said that he and his friends all agreed that each spring after sugaring started and they were out in the cold fresh air, getting plenty of exercise, and making syrup that things in the bedroom often got a bit "friskier" than during the long winter. So he wondered if perhaps there was anything to their thinking that maple syrup was an aphrodisiac.

My response was two-fold:

1. Find me some grant money and I'd be happy to start doing some research on it (maybe I'll have to start a survey on that one).

2. Whether it was true or not, it's not a bad rumor to spread.

CBOYER
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Dr Tim, Thats why we make so much syrup in Québec:rolleyes::lol:

lastwoodsman
07-12-2011, 06:15 AM
I know an older gent that collects it from a friends sugar house and uses it on his oatmeal.
Comes from a all welded evaporator.
Can't be any worse than all the shelves of supplements at Walgreens.

Woodsman

maple flats
07-12-2011, 07:15 AM
This all may be true, but if it has not been scientifically proven, we can't make any claims. Much safer to keep it as a rumor.

Acer
07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
my dog got into the used DE, she pushed hard and nearly blew a paper ****ting that filter cake:lol::lol: