PDA

View Full Version : Sap yield & quality following storm damage?

SilverLeaf
07-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Aargh. I happened to be in the path of a big storm system that moved clear across Minnesota this weekend. Winds were clocked at 80MPH in my town. Lots of people lost barns or grain bins, and the crop damage was significant in places. We're counting our blessings - no building damage at our place.

But, our maples were not so fortunate. I expect I completely lost 10 taps (seems like my best trees were the ones that snapped like toothpicks!) and probably 75% of the rest of my trees lost branches.

So my question: I know that the year following some stressful event, trees are known to sometimes put out voluminous sap. But I have to think that, with so many branches down, my canopy cover is going to be a lot less this year, so the sugar content may be lower. Anyone have experience with this? What might I expect? I'm trying to figure out how much I need to up my tap count to make up for the difference.

maplecrest
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
my trees get hit like that every year. 3 weeks ago a storm went thru and my upper woods took a direct hit. trees down every where and large braches over all the tubing. i try to tap my trees light for this reason and will have less drops out this year.just dont over tap and you will be fine. one tap per tree will out do 3

brookledge
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
At this point your trees has probably stored the majority of the starch for next yrs sugar. Grant you the growing season is in the middle but by september the leaves have done ther thing. Any ways once the roots have next yrs sugar stored in them you should be fine in tapping next yr. The real question will be the following yr. Since there will be few branches to do all the work
Keith

SilverLeaf
07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys!
I just talked to a neighbor who's got some additional trees I can tap. So in the end I should be able to replace the trees I lost. Plus maybe even pick up a few extra taps. That should get me through the next couple years no matter what happens sap-wise.