PDA

View Full Version : Air-tight Door

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I finally made the new door for the evap.
I wanted to get away from 2 doors. It was kind of a pain to have to throw open 2 doors on an evap just 2' wide.
I also wanted an air-tight door so if down the road I wanted to add AOF or AUF The door issue would already be done.

I designed to so that I did not have to modify the arch front in anyway and also if I needed to I could put the old double doors back on in only a few moments.

I now need to get some flat woven rope for the door gasket and it will be ready to go.

There is 2" of ceramic blanket in the door. Since it is only about 16" square I felt I didn't need center support for the blanket. It will be a easy fix if it becomes a problem.

Ausable
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Dennis - Good Work -- Like Your Door

06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Great fab work Dennis

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys, we'll see how it works.
I have a lot of reinforcment built into it and it is made out of some heavy steel but I am still alittle worried when I put some serious heat to that it might "pringle" on me.

3rdgen.maple
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Very nice ingenuity on the door. Love the way you made no changes to the arch and used the door hangers to mount the bracket for the door lock. Very cool might have to weld one up now.

tuckermtn
06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Dennis- you may already be thinking about this, but I would highly recommend putting some sort of plate on the inside of your door to protect the blanked from the wood that is in the firebox.

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I wasn't going to put any thing on the door on the inside.
Remember the door isn't there to push the wood into the arch when firing!!:rolleyes:

I tried that on my old homemade barrel evap and the metal plate did not last long.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-30-2011, 04:47 AM
wood supposed to be inside door like 4 to 6 inches, I wold weld some small threaded rods to inside push a piece of insulation blanket over the rods then put a washer and nut on to hold it. Thats my plan this summer when I do the same to my arch.

3rdgen.maple
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
4 to 6 inches? Have you been into the home brew again? 6 inches is 25% of a 2xwhatevers firebox. 6 inches is most of the drawoff channel on a syrup pan.

Waynehere
06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Very nice looking door. I am making one right now myself. I have some angle iron welded on the inside though to help prevent warpage. Might want to maybe put a couple of pieces on the outside to help out. I would also hate to mess up such a pretty looking inside with the insulation. Once it warps, you will never get it straightened back out again. :cry:

My 2 cents. Hope it works well.

Dennis H.
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
There actually is some reinforcement on the inside. I took 1" flat stock and welded to the inside of the large flat front plate. It is in an X pattern and it goes from corner to corner.
The 1st layer of blanket was cut to fit in around this X pattern of metal. Then the second layer of blanket was then fitted in behind the angle iron edge that will have the door gasket attached to.

3rdgen.maple
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
With 2 layers of insulation on it I would think theres not going to be alot of warpage going on.

holey_bucket
07-01-2011, 04:41 AM
Nice looking door!

Sugarmaker
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Dennis,
I agree Very nice fab job. I also hope it does not warp on you the blanket will help a lot!
Regards,
Chris
I will be watching next season for a report! I think I could do that on the old KING?

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-02-2011, 05:16 AM
4 to 6 inches? Have you been into the home brew again? 6 inches is 25% of a 2xwhatevers firebox. 6 inches is most of the drawoff channel on a syrup pan.

if you think of it I wont say your right but 6 might be a little much, but you want the fireall over not with a wall on one side so to speak 4 is prob a better number

Gary R
07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Looks good Dennis. The blanket is pretty tough. I used some stainless bolts and fender washers to hold the blanket so it didn't fall out.

Time for more taps:)