PDA

View Full Version : Pan Gasket idea.

Dennis H.
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok I am looking to get cheap pan gasket material. I am leaning toward the flat woven rope kind. I used the cermaic blanket kind that was cut into 2" wide strip last year. Worked good but everytime I took the syrup pan off it would tear it up. I almost had to replace mid season.

While looking on ebay I found alot of 2" Fiberglass header wrap. It is rated for about 1500 degree continuious.

Do you think it will work as pan gasket. It is only 1/16" thick. I would like something in the 1/8" But when you can buy an entire roll, 100', for about $35 including shipping, that is way cheaper than what I saw on Bascoms site.

Bucket Head
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Dennis,

You could try it, but I don't think you'll like it. It's too thin- there's nothing there to 'compress' and make a tight seal. I tried some similiar stuff this year after I could no longer get what I was using. I was using some woven material that was 3/16"-1/4" which worked well. I will find more of that somewhere before next season.

Also, you might overheat that 1/8" stuff with the 1500 degree rating. A good, dry wood fired fire will easily get to around 1700+ degrees. I know my gasket material was hardened and brittle at the rear of the syrup pan. It could not handle whatever my fire got up to.

Steve

Thad Blaisdell
06-28-2011, 05:52 AM
At $1 a foot for the rope type..... 2x5 evaporator you are looking at $14. This buys you exactly what you need and you will know that your pan is not going to burn. Not sure why you would want 100 feet of something that you are unsure of.

Add this to the postings of sayings.

Pinch a penny waste a dime.