PDA

View Full Version : Age of Leader Pans

warners point
06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I came across an add for a 4x12 leader with king pans. The code for the front pan is 5/5, 3/90 the rear flue pan is T-RF78. The owner doesn't know the age of the set up. Would these pans have lead solder?

brookledge
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Simple way to figure out is get a lead test kit at a local hardware store. 10-15 bucks that way you would know for sure. Or just call Leader and ask
Keith

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I came across an add for a 4x12 leader with king pans. The code for the front pan is 5/5, 3/90 the rear flue pan is T-RF78. The owner doesn't know the age of the set up. Would these pans have lead solder?

Are they Stainless Pans or english tin?,

to me the 5/5 should be the size and 3/90 is date so if that is correct it has been posted on here before anything before 1995 has a good chance of been soldered with a lead type solder.

06-28-2011, 06:28 AM
I went to a place and in maine the lady said lead soldered pans were okay as long as you don't scrub the joints

Thad Blaisdell
06-28-2011, 07:42 AM
I went to a place and in maine the lady said lead soldered pans were okay as long as you don't scrub the joints

That is true especially if you are selling them. If you are buying stay clear. The rules around lead are changing and whoever owns them at the end will own a few dollars worth of scrap stainless (or english tin). Buy lead free for less hassle later and lead free syrup now.

DrTimPerkins
06-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Pans of that vintage are almost certainly lead-soldered.

As you've read, lead-soldered pans CAN be safe to use as long as you take precautions.

If you use a lead-soldered evaporator, you should get your syrup tested for lead periodically, especially in the first few years of use and then, if the levels are low, every 2-3 years thereafter. If you use several pieces of equipment that contain lead (galvanized buckets, many older metal spouts, galvanized storage tanks, English tin pans, etc.), then you are more likely to have trouble. The more pieces of equipment you have with lead, the more likely it is that lead can build up above the action level (250 or 500 ppb depending upon where you are).

You also should NOT use pan acid or scrub the soldered joints. You SHOULD filter as well as possible to remove particulate lead trapped in the sugar sand. You should be very careful to not let sap sit in galvanized buckets for an extended period of time. If possible, drain as much of the "sweet" out of the pans if it is going to be a few days before you boil again.

The main thing is to know what the lead level is in your syrup given the equipment you have. The only way to know is to have it tested. If you don't want to have it tested....don't use lead-containing equipment. If you do test and it is a problem, take management steps to reduce the possible exposure. If the problem persists, consider replacing equipment.

collinsmapleman2012
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Are they Stainless Pans or english tin?,

to me the 5/5 should be the size and 3/90 is date so if that is correct it has been posted on here before anything before 1995 has a good chance of been soldered with a lead type solder.

the 5/5 wouldnt be the size; its a 4x12 evaporator. i still have no idea as to what it means though

DrTimPerkins
06-28-2011, 08:03 AM
the 5/5 wouldnt be the size; its a 4x12 evaporator. i still have no idea as to what it means though

You sure it isn't S/S (stainless steel)?

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-28-2011, 02:02 PM

I realize that you said 4/12 thats why I said "to me 5/5 would be the size.
I think doc is onto some thing. I would go look at my pans to see how they are labeled but in neighbor's chicken coup getn sweetened up for next season:mrgreen: