PDA

View Full Version : tiny bubbles in 50ml glass leafs

tuckermtn
06-26-2011, 10:55 AM
second time doing 50ml glass leafs for wedding favors. After filling 100+ of them last night, have tiny bubbles near the tops of the leaf. bubbles the size of pin points.

Procedure- heat syrup to 188-192deg. then use hands free bottler with smallest neck in to glass that was at room temp (65 deg) screw on plastic cap, flip for 5-10 seconds, then let cool on counter.

First batch I did last weekend went perfect. Not sure what changed...

thanks -

Eric

Haynes Forest Products
06-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I get them when I get to the end of the syrup in the bottler:mad: I thought they would go away after the hot syrup rolled around in the bottle and cooled.........NOPE. Its a funny micro bubble that I think is mixed with scum/sludle that shouldnt be there because its from the filter press leading me to think its near candy in density.

brookledge
06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Did you have a good depth in your canner? Like Haynes said it could be somthing along that line. Also what size have you reduced the filler down to. I use 1/8". Try using 2 valves one to slow the syrup down and then the second one for filling. On bigger fills I have heard of using a piece of nylon stocking over the opening.
When I do them there is no bubbles in them to begin with since the flow is so slow and smooth
Keith

vtmaplemaker
06-27-2011, 09:23 PM
This is caused from syrup being over density.. It mite be a point or two over when canned in a bigger container, and then after reheated 2-4 points over.. The top of a canner can only hold so much condensate, but it will hold the same amount wether you are heating 2 gal or 20 gal. If you are heating 2 gal it is a large percentage of the water in the syrup, 20 gal it is only a 10nth as much..

tuckermtn
06-28-2011, 04:38 AM
thanks for the replies...the canner had 5 gallons in it when I started, and about 3 when I finished. I was necking down the filler to the smallest that comes with the hands free bottler, which I think is 1/4". I have a hunch it is the over density issue, as the acts thick in the bottles when you flip them upside-down. And the earlier batch didn't have any issues and my bottling procedure was almost identical. So I think its a difference in the batches (used two different syrup batches)

Thanks again for the suggestions...