PDA

View Full Version : Slimy Syrup????

Waterbird17
06-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I just checked a few gallon jugs of syrup I made earlier this season. I have 2 gallons from the same date, both have a slime consistancy?:o They are kept in milk jug like containers in a very cold fridge since march (there was ice in the top of the jug) . Whats going on? It tastes normal but it is slimy and disgusting?

Is there any way to fix this?

I tried mixing in a little water in a sample of it to thin it out but it was still slimy.

Is this a big problem? the sap I used was aged for a few days, could that have caused it??

Thanks for any help

Thad Blaisdell
06-25-2011, 08:08 PM
sounds like it is ropey.... was it this way when you made it.

3rdgen.maple
06-25-2011, 10:53 PM
In 2009 I had several jugs from early season sap that went straight into the evaporator from the taps that had a slimy consistancy to it. It was all good till you got towards the bottom of the jug and then the syrup came out in slimy slugs. Never seen it before and havent seen it ever again. I will say when I opened one in 2010 that was slimy it lots its maple flavor. One guy told me the syrup fermented. I hope I never have that problem again whatever caused it I still am exacally sure but I did have a friend helping me and he was bottling and I still wonder if it wasnt hot enough when he packed it.

brookledge
06-26-2011, 05:30 AM
When you said there was ice on top, was that in the jug or on the outside? If the ice is inside was it boiled to proper density? Either way it does sound like it is ropey but the sap would have been ropey (stringy/slimy)as you where boiling it. How was the syrup before it went into the jug? Did you test it with a hydrometer?
I don't think there is anything you can do to fix it. However you have nothing to lose to take some add some water then boil back to proper density. Syrup can still spoil in a refrigerator if the density is too low,just like other foods will spoil in the frig.
Keith