PDA

View Full Version : 2011 vt maplerama

maplwrks
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Everything just got confirmed last night--5 high effiency evaporators will square off in a boiling contest on Friday afternoon, immediately following the days tours.

802maple
06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I might have to tech them like we do at the races just to see if they have nitrous or something else to the forced air. Looks like it will be fun just to see who has it and who doesn't. LOL

collinsmapleman2012
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
that sure would be interesting to see... which manufacturers are they from?

802maple
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Leader,Lapierre,CDL, Dominion and Grimm and W.H. Supply.

oneoldsap
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey Bean , is it too late to register for Maplerama ! I've got a ton of work to do before the Sap runs again . Just sent you a PM . I'm going to Sugar again before I die , and won't have to want for anything , equipment wise !

802maple
06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I hadn't seen you for so long that I thought you had died already. I sent you a e-mail.

It isn't to late to sign up for Maplerama, just contact Barb and she will set you straight.

mapleack
06-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Everything just got confirmed last night--5 high effiency evaporators will square off in a boiling contest on Friday afternoon, immediately following the days tours.

This is going to be sweet (no pun intended). I want a lawn chair and a cold beer (or several).

Amber Gold
06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Keep us posted on the results. I'm curious to see who's going to boil the hardest, who's going to be the most efficient, and who's the best compromise of the two. What size rigs are they using and will they all be using standard 7" flue pans. It would seem to me if Leader's allowed to use their max pan, it would not be a direct comparison of arch performance.

Speaking of max pans, does anyone know why Leader's the only one with an 11" flue pan? It's not like they have a patent on it so I would've thought other manufacturer's would've followed suit by now.

802maple
06-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Other companies have built as deep as 12 inch flues, Dallaire did as much as 15 years ago. At the time they didn't feel that they got enough more evaporation to justify the extra cost, maybe today with more high performance arches it would be worth it. I personally think that it may not be worth all the hype either as they have all been going on newer arches with the new technology. So is it the pans or is it the arch that is giving the extra evaporation. We will see at the Maplerama.

Bruce L
06-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Wish I could be there to watch,unfortunately we are camping that weekend.It will be interesting to read how they all perform,and to see if all the rigs are set-up the same,hoods,no hoods,pre-heater,no pre-heater etc.Look forward to reading the posts after the show,though I have already bitten the bullet so to speak and looking forward to the new rig arriving (and of course next season to put it to the test)
Bruce

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I was planning on it but if working I have to work, so slow now wouldn't even have the 60 to get in( I beleive thats how much it is)

chrislanfear
06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
From what ive been told the rigs are gonna be 3x12 and plain jane with no pre heaters or hoods. This is gonna be a good show.

Maplewalnut
06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Boy a show like that might even entice some southeners to come up!

802maple
06-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Boy a show like that might even entice some southeners to come up!

I would put in a good word for your permit to enter the state. LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-23-2011, 04:12 PM

think we should have a state board of local sugar makers meeting these other one from other states before a permit is issued, ESPECIALLY WESTERN NY area:lol:

Maplewalnut
06-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Jerry-
I knew it would cost me something, but figured a case or two of PA's finest Yuengling Lager would get me over the border. Works for the cousins in upper NY. I didnt know about the permitting requirment :)

Mike

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I have the five man Maple Authority board figured out,
1. 802 Pres
2. Me VP
3. Randy Brutkoski SGT. at Arms
4. JTBucket Treasure
5. Doc Intel.
6. Looking for Secretary

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry 3rdgen DENIED

collinsmapleman2012
06-23-2011, 09:29 PM
1. 802 Pres
2. Me VP
3. Randy Brutkoski head of Corrections
4. JTBucket Asst.
5. Doc Person with Brains

Sorry 3rdgen DENIED

you forgot sgt. at arms and treasurer. important positions, you need muscle and the treasurer gets lunch

3rdgen.maple
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
1. 802 Pres
2. Me VP
3. Randy Brutkoski head of Corrections
4. JTBucket Asst.
5. Doc Person with Brains

Sorry 3rdgen DENIED

Thats just fine, after seeing the list of the board members Im thinking I will just stay here in central NY especially if maple walnut is bringing yueglings, thats stuff is nasty. I will spend my time wasting money on nonsense stuff and watching supermodifieds. Something about watching 5 evaporators boil nothing but water seems senseless to me but hey thats the way they do things in Vermont I guess lol.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Thats just fine, after seeing the list of the board members Im thinking I will just stay here in central NY especially if maple walnut is bringing yueglings, thats stuff is nasty. I will spend my time wasting money on nonsense stuff and watching supermodifieds. Something about watching 5 evaporators boil nothing but water seems senseless to me but hey thats the way they do things in Vermont I guess lol.

ROFL:lol: buddy

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-24-2011, 05:20 AM
positions updated

maplwrks
06-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Chris Lanfear is correct---plain jane rigs w/ open pans. I do know that Leader is bringing the Max Pan set up to boil on. The tours on Friday will include 6 stops w/ the smallest producer being around 8000 taps. Lots of technology, 2 steam rigs, 3 new or recently renovated sugarhouses, 1 w/ a ginormous RO, 1 producer that produces some of the states best syrup. Saturday tours will include 3 producers (3000 taps)with very high production records.

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
ROFL:lol: buddy

You know the more I think about this 5 rig boilathon it kinda makes me think of going deer hunting with blanks in the gun. You know you get to see a deer, get to pull up on it, get to squeeze the trigger and then you get to see it run away with no meat in the freezer. Its like all the fun without the work LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
when I get done with mods on mine I will put my rig up against yours. no steam away but reg pans and preheater and AAOTFP

BryanEx
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Maple Authority will need a web site... and I can get you listed in a certain maple directory I know of. :D

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2011, 08:51 PM
when I get done with mods on mine I will put my rig up against yours. no steam away but reg pans and preheater and AAOTFP

By the time your done with it I will have my 3x12 if you can keep up with that I will drink a beer with ya. I can get my bare bones 2x6 cranking out 40gph on a good day. Im stuck with it for another year but hoping to get a steamaway slapped on it for 2012.

Thad Blaisdell
06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
My dad can beat up your dad.....I am sticking my tongue out while saying this.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-24-2011, 11:32 PM
By the time your done with it I will have my 3x12 if you can keep up with that I will drink a beer with ya. I can get my bare bones 2x6 cranking out 40gph on a good day. Im stuck with it for another year but hoping to get a steamaway slapped on it for 2012.

spend the money on a steam away for one year? whats ur flue pan 3' or 4'?:o

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
spend the money on a steam away for one year? whats ur flue pan 3' or 4'?:o

4 footer, never understood the 3 foot concept. Not spending much money spending much time. Homemade if I can get to it. I always have big plans just no time cause Im to busy trying to figure out what big plan I should start first lol.

3rdgen.maple
06-24-2011, 11:58 PM
My dad can beat up your dad.....I am sticking my tongue out while saying this.

He probably could but then I would have to beat him up for hurting mine. Then again I would lose either way I guess. Lets see how this would play out. 38 year old beats up and old man hmmm sounds pathetic. Or old man beats up a 38 year old man hmmm doesnt sound any better. I change my mind its a lose lose situation for me. LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-25-2011, 05:17 AM
He probably could but then I would have to beat him up for hurting mine. Then again I would lose either way I guess. Lets see how this would play out. 38 year old beats up and old man hmmm sounds pathetic. Or old man beats up a 38 year old man hmmm doesnt sound any better. I change my mind its a lose lose situation for me. LOL

so what you are saying 3rdgen is that you are older than Thad and I so you are considered our "elder" and I have always been taught not to hit women or your elders.

3rdgen.maple
06-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Well if you and Thad are younger than 38 than yeah I guess Im your elder. First time I been called that. I suddenly feel old.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Well if you and Thad are younger than 38 than yeah I guess Im your elder. First time I been called that. I suddenly feel old.

well guess I'm your elder so just remember what I said about respecting your elders, can't speak for thad not sure at what age he is:D

Thad Blaisdell
06-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I guess you can call me the elder.... 40 here. My father is 67. I still wouldnt want to grab on to him until maybe later in the day. I am afraid in the morning there might not be the outcome you are looking for. His hands are still pretty darn quick.

3rdgen.maple
06-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Thad hopefully you carry some of his genetics if thats the case. My dad had a valve replacement at 63 and he is still a hard worker for sure but looses energy much faster than before he had it done. I hope when Im 67 I will still be going just as strong. Good for him.

802maple
06-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Speaking about elders, I think I was 38 once, can't remember, LOL

Randy Brutkoski
06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I cant remember 38 either, but then again i am only 37. My dad is 63 and he helps me tap but he runs out of gas after a couple or 3 hours.

tuckermtn
06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I cant remember 38 either, but then again i am only 37. My dad is 63 and he helps me tap but he runs out of gas after a couple or 3 hours.

Why not try the lithium ion batteries for your dad...get a little more work out of him between recharges...

maplwrks
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Reminder---Early bird registration deadline has been extended to July 15

mapleack
07-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Almost here! We're hitting the road tomorrow at noon, spending the night at Rutland, then be around Middlebury all day Thursday. Looking forward to the trip!