PDA

View Full Version : Way to Go Wisconsin Producers!

bearair
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin increased its production of maple syrup by 32 percent this year, maintaining the state as the nation's fourth-leading producer.

Wisconsin harvested 155,000 gallons this year, in part because of a longer season and also because of temperatures favorable to sap flow.

This year's maple-syrup season ran from February to May, lasting eight days longer than last year's.

Prices also improved for Wisconsin producers. They averaged $39.50 per gallon last year, up 8 percent from 2009.

Vermont is the nation's dominant producer. It generates about 40 percent of the U.S. output. New York and Maine round out the top three.

The sugar content of Wisconsin maple syrup this year meant it took 38 gallons of sap to produce one gallon of syrup. That's better than the national average of 43 gallons.

jmayerl
06-20-2011, 05:41 PM
:mad:It's official, I am the only person on the planet that had a down year

maple connection
06-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Congrats Wisconsin producers, for making this a growing hobby and career.

Haynes Forest Products
06-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I believe another reason we are growing in production numbers is if you get your sap shack inspected they will hound you for the information. This started 3 years ago and Madison was relentless on getting the data in the system. They even called me to remind me I needed to get the paperwork filled out. After the second call I said its not like I'm a farmer and she said YES YOU ARE please get it filled out.

markcasper
06-21-2011, 07:31 AM
There is no law in the state of Wisconsin requiring producers to report anything to the statistical service. On the contrary, it would be unconstitutional if they are are forcing any producer to report any production information.

Haynes Forest Products
06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I did a quick check and I couldn't find anything in the constitution about Selling milk with Mastitis in it or hormones. But I did see in the state laws that if you want to do business with a state license you have to play by there rules. I don't have any problem with them wanting to keep statistics on a industry that I volunteer to participate in. Now if one day they come to me and say CHUCK I see that your neighbor is also making syrup and between the two of you your driving down the price in the area so you need tap less trees and only sell to the government so we can regulate the amount and price. OH CRAP that sounds like Canada

Jeff E
06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Those totals are interesting to me.
Dont you think 155,000 gallons of syrup is low to what was really produced?
I wonder how they determined that #?

I got the survey about 4 years ago. I think I made about 75 gallons that year. This year about 1000. I find it hard to believe I made between .5 and 1% of all the syrup in WI!

markcasper
06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
The ag statistical service and the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection are not together, Chuck!
They are different entities and while the DATCP may provide a list of licensed producers to the WI Statistical Service, the DATCP does not require or solicit any production related information from producers in order to obtain a food processing license.
The survey that I received says that giving out of information is encouraged, but not mandatory, and on continues the rant about why giving such information is important. It is my observation that giving out such information clouds the free market nature of this enterprise!
So while some individuals spout off statements as if they know what they are talking about, one must always read the fine print to truly know what their rights are.

markcasper
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
But I did see in the state laws that if you want to do business with a state license you have to play by there rules. I don't have any problem with them wanting to keep statistics on a industry that I volunteer to participate in.

Please list the state statutes where this can be found.

Haynes Forest Products
06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice try with the diversion Mark. Next time the tanker pulls up to your farm and they do a test and it comes back hot and they dump the milk it will be your evil wholesaler that you will be dealing with not the state. Now if it makes you happy you can go down to Walmart and hold up a sigh complaining about China and Ill go sleep with my American made wife;)

markcasper
06-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Haynes, I am not causing a diversion!
You just need to be able to prove what you are saying. If you can show the statutes of where it is an illegal act to not report gallons of sap, or number of taps to the statistical service, then I'll believe you.
p.s. you'll have some work in front of you to find one...he,he,he,he,he.

If you have a hot load of milk, then you're paying for that load, so thats why you don't have that happen. What that had to do with the topic??

Haynes Forest Products
06-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Mark NOT once did I say it was illegal to not report your stats. Its what they want you to do as a license holder. Yes they hounded me for the info and I voluntarily complied. Now what does this have to do with the discussion? Its about keeping accurate records. As long as they don't use the info against me I don't see what the harm is. I even see a benefit. Without accurate records you cant get funding for Maple related items. Maybe there is money down the road for pest control. Without records we wouldn't know that we are number 4 in the country in production.

markcasper
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Haynes, you have some valid points. On the flip side.....the country is broke, there is no more money available. Too date, all the money that has been thrown at asian long-horn beetle and the thing keeps turning up in a new location. We all have to face it, it will just be a matter of time and it will be everywhere no matter how many funds are devoted to stopping it. It may be decades, but I feel is inevitable.

When the widespread decimation happens, it will not just be syrup producers hung out to dry.

Haynes Forest Products
06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Agreed lets move on. Thanks for the spirited debate:)

SapZilla
06-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Move on? I'm still waiting to hear what Mark has to say about your American made wife......

Haynes Forest Products
06-23-2011, 09:54 PM
She is a Michigan girl She came with papers to prove it;)

markcasper
06-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Michigan? There is alot of water between Door County and there. Kind of makes me wonder how that happened? Mine is from Minnesota so at least I didn't have any ferry charges.