PDA

View Full Version : Theremometers

Rossell's Sugar Camp
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I went through 5 small cheap digital thermometers last year. Any recomendations for me. i have been looking at the dial thermometers on leaders website. Although i would like to get something digital.

3rdgen.maple
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I went through the same thing a few years back and decided that a dial thermometer made for maple was the best. They are expensive yes but its cheaper in the long run replacing digital thermometers all the time. I never found one that didnt fog over or hold up to the all the moisture in the sugarhouse.. Batteries seemed to corrode a little to fast as well. I had a really cool digital one that you could set the temp and an audible alarm would go off worked good for about 2 weeks. Threw it on top of a shelf and this past spring after a couple years sitting up there I had a fun time trying to figure out where the heck that beeping sound was coming from. Stupid thing just started beeping once in awhile. If you or anyone has one that has lasted a couple seasons I would be interested as well to hear more about it.

maple maniac65
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
The only digital that seems to stand up is the Marcland auto draw off. I have been through dozens of digital ones. Some with 12" probes and some with 4' cords. Moisture is always a problem.

adk1
06-17-2011, 03:38 PM
ok, I was in a sugarhouse this past season and they had a little (looked cheap) digital setup...it had a cord and was on the side of the wooden drawoff box..They had it in a ziplock bag to protect it from condensation. they said they had been using it for 5 years without a problem.

KenWP
06-17-2011, 09:55 PM
The only theremometers I have that works for syrup is actually glass.It is a scentific one that I used to use for testing moisture of grain.Only works for syrup as it only goes to 110 degrees C but at least it works.I have had 3 others going at the same time and they all read different temps up to 10 degrees difference at times.

RileySugarbush
06-18-2011, 10:20 AM
We use the cheap digital alarm thermometers with good results. Get the kind with the long flexible section on the probe and you can probably find a spot out of the moisture for the display. They only cost $10 or so, seem accurate or at least repeatable, and last for years.

jmayerl
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
thermoworks.com $40 for a 12" stem digital. works great.

3rdgen.maple
06-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Heres what Im thinking. You guys that have good success with the digitals, are you guys running hoods or have a steam filled sugarhouse?

KenWP
06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
My one digatal seemed to work well until I dropped it in the syrup.Can't shut it off or change to degrees F on it any more.