PDA

View Full Version : Firewood II

Woody
06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info about elm. Any thoughts on Box Elder?

I have a lot of both I can cut but it sounds like guys are using what ever is handy.

thanks

Ausable
06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

I have a lot of both I can cut but it sounds like guys are using what ever is handy.

thanks

LOL - Whats next Woody - Iron Wood? -- Where I live now - don't have any. As You probably know - they are in the maple family and some of the guys and gals make syrup from them. When I was a kid I remember they would get very big and the limbs would snap off. Also - Box Elder Bugs - nasty little creatures. -- So - make syrup from them -- Mike

ps - the sap - not the bugs -- lol

xyz5150
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Woody

Firewood II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks

Firewood III
I have run out of firewood do you think my wife would mind if i used our furniture.:lol:

C.Wilcox
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM

thanks

Woody- I tap my box elders and cook their sap with a 50/50 mix of box elder and pine. It burns pretty hot, pretty fast, and leaves no coals. Perfect for an evaporator. I recommend cutting it in the winter if you can. If you cut it in the summer the bark will rot off and make a giant slimey mess and the ends of the logs will turn white with mold in a week. Nothing you can't deal with, but it does make splitting less pleasant.

Should we guess that you're short on firewood for the upcoming season?

Woody
06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Been wandering the woods cutting whatever we find because I've ordered a new Mason evaporator and want to be ready. In the past we burnt pallet lumber but the supply ran out so we'd like to get some decent wood on hand. Been cutting whatever we run across but was curious about the qualities of elm and box elder. But really, if it's wood and it's not green we're cutting it. Finding quite a bit of down Ironwood in a buddies woods and have heard good things about that stuff.

Oh. I also have a batch of red pine that needs thinning and wondered if it was cut and split now if it would be decent to burn by next season? When I lived in Montana the Lodgepole dried pretty fast but I'm not so sure the same thing would happen here in Wisconsin.

Seasons just around the corner!!!!

Ausable
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Firewood III
I have run out of firewood do you think my wife would mind if i used our furniture.:lol:

When We are at Firewood III - We are near the End Times - Unless We can convince our wives that all the wood furniture was stolen. Hey - John Wayne did it in one of his old movies to keep the Boiler on his boat going. If John Wayne did it - it must be right and just ---- lol -- Mike

KenWP
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I have cut down a couple that the wind wrecked,They take for ever to dry out and the wood is hard.I just cut down one that fell across the sheep pen that I had tapped in years past and cut through the tap holes to see what was there.Really neat dark stain in the wood.
I used to work in a mobile home factory and we supplied many indian reservations.Was common for all the mouldings to be used for kindling and even the doors off the cupboards.Of course the worst fix was the one where they cut a hole in the bathroom wall to water the horses in the bath tub.