PDA

View Full Version : here she comes!!

crawflyer
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
My shiny new Patrick Phaneauf custom made set of pans will be here tomorrow (wed) in am. it's like being a kid on Christmas eve.

Father & Son
06-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Congrats on the new pans. How big and what kind of arch are they going on?

Jim

crawflyer
06-15-2011, 06:43 AM
I modified a Riteway model 37 wood/coal stove to 17" by 98" . Patrick made a raised flue and a syrup to fit that. I used the Riteway to heat my home for about 12 years. gutted it and used ceramic and firebrick to insulate the firebox and vermiculite, sand and ceramic in the flue. putting a blower on it as well. the whole arch is very tight and should respond to the blower well, just not sure how big the blower needs to be. I will blow air in under my grates, would it be a good idea to inject air somewhere into the flue as well? I attached a photo of the arch minus the stack.

Dennis H.
06-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Wow you did a nice job reusing that wood stove.

Fan wise, you can always close down the oulet to adjust the airflow it is a little harder to make a fan push more air than it is designed to do. So go with larger if you can.

Gary R
06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
So the big question......did it show? We hope you didn't hold your breath:lol: That arch looks nice. Once you get it together any chance some of us locals could check it out?

Sugarmaker
06-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Jim,
We may have to take a ride and look at this custom unit.
Crawflyer,
Nice job on the arch!
Hope those pans fit as good as they should look!
Let us know and pleas post some pictures.
Regards,
Chris

crawflyer
06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
My new pans made it as far as Detroit. They sent it the long way around the lake for some reason. It may be here tomorrow if it moves all night. I'll let you know...

You guys are more than welcome to come see my set up. I'll warn you now though, I'll be asking for advice...alot. lol

25616 East Spring Road
Springboro.

Gary R
06-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Once they do make it, I'm sure you'll love the shiny stainless. How many taps? Buckets or tubing? Your not far from Cranesville;) I use Sugarmaker for advice (sorry Chris:D)

crawflyer
06-16-2011, 07:10 AM
how do you get your taps, equipment etc... to post with your messages? Been banging around trying to figure out how and can't.

I help my brother-in-law gather from 350 to 375 taps, all buckets, all roadside. In return I get all the sap I want. I also put out 25 or so taps on my property.

Father & Son
06-16-2011, 07:36 AM
crawflyer,

To get things to post like taps, equip, and stuff,
on the top of the page in the green toolbar click on "Your Control Panel", then on the left side of the page click on "edit your signature". This will let you create the list that shows with every post. Sounds like your brother-in-law can be lots of help and lots of locals around too! I'm in Linesville and wander around looking at everyone else's equipment every chance I get. Ya know, anything shiney!

Chris,
Sounds like a road trip!

Jim

Ausable
06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
My new pans made it as far as Detroit. They sent it the long way around the lake for some reason. It may be here tomorrow if it moves all night. I'll let you know...

You guys are more than welcome to come see my set up. I'll warn you now though, I'll be asking for advice...alot. lol

25616 East Spring Road
Springboro.

Oh oh! - In Detroit. They like Shiny Stuff in Detroit. Shiny stuff disappears in Detroit - Thats why we use nasty - dirty - steel in the rest of Michigan - so - it dosen't end up in Detroit....... LOL --- Just kidding - I hope. Hey - You did an excellent job on Your Arch and I'll bet You will be one happy Sugarmaker when you get you new pans and arch together - best of luck -- Mike

crawflyer
06-16-2011, 09:44 AM
pans are in Youngstown now....they are circling me. Delivery tomorrow...strange thing is at one point 2 days ago they were about 20 miles from Niagara Falls Can.

crawflyer
06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Arrived this afternoon in perfect shape..fits the arch...test boil in about 3 weeks or so...

Ausable
06-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Arrived this afternoon in perfect shape..fits the arch...test boil in about 3 weeks or so...

Great - I'm happy for you Crawflyer. Dang - Detroit has so few people left in it - some of the Shiny stuff is slipping through their hands. My kidding aside - I wouldn't be surprised if you have a test boil going in less then a week......

PapaSmiff
06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Is that a "food safe" Labrador in the picture? :lol:

crawflyer
06-17-2011, 09:11 PM
yeah..she wears rubber gloves when we boil....she's pretty smart...notice how she found the draw off right away?

Sugarmaker
06-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Crawflyer,
That is very impressive picture of your arch and the new pans. I had to put the sun glasses on when I opened it. Test boil YES!!!! Go slow and easy! Hey you shouldnt be retired! Typical of maple projects, the over budget thing is OK:)
Regards,
Chris

Randy Brutkoski
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM
That trash can underneath the arch better be for garbage and not sap or these guys will eat you alive.

BryanEx
06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Interesting to see your arch set off against a wall like that. How do you vent steam and is it a pain not being able to get to both sides of the arch?

- Bryan

Kev
06-17-2011, 09:46 PM
yeah..she wears rubber gloves when we boil....she's pretty smart...notice how she found the draw off right away?

Well...She is a lab after all...

crawflyer
06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
there is about 2 feet between the wall and evaporator. arch is insulated very well, but still plan to cover that wall with something. the garbage can is for donations if you guys come out to look at it. $ or firewood will be fine...I need to do some work on my roof steam vent..it is way too small and out of position now...looks like I may have to get creative with the reciprocating saw...also need to work on the stack. told my wife the flue pan looks like a coffin and she offered to bury me in it...now I'm nervous...

CBOYER
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
told my wife the flue pan looks like a coffin and she offered to bury me in it...now I'm nervous...

Oh Oh she's received the bill for the pans??:o

Haynes Forest Products
06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Don't cover the wall its fine. First you ain't going to leave the room when its boiling I can guarantee that. Relax and enjoy.

3rdgen.maple
06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Heres what I seen in that picture. The back pan is your trap dye pan and the front pan is your waxing pan for those traps. So now what are you going to boil sap in?

crawflyer
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Heres what I seen in that picture. The back pan is your trap dye pan and the front pan is your waxing pan for those traps. So now what are you going to boil sap in?

no problem...the first couple batches will be a little 'dark' is all'....