PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice in Ottawa Area

deckers007
06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have any contacts for someone willing to take an hour or two to have a walk in my woodlot and give me some pionters on thinning. I would like to know that my current method is not going to hurt my forsest in the long term.

I am about 30 min east of Ottawa.

Thanks

BryanEx
06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I'd be happy to provide a second opinion but I am not a professional wood lot manager... just well researched. For more professional advice perhaps contact Rose-Marie Chretien about the FREE wood lot advisory service.

http://www.nation.on.ca/en/your-forests/woodlot-advisory-service/

I just had a visit from her and along with tons of info I received an aerial photo of my property showing forest resources.

- Bryan

deckers007
06-15-2011, 07:23 AM
I'd be happy to provide a second opinion but I am not a professional wood lot manager... just well researched. For more professional advice perhaps contact Rose-Marie Chretien about the FREE wood lot advisory service.

http://www.nation.on.ca/en/your-forests/woodlot-advisory-service/

I just had a visit from her and along with tons of info I received an aerial photo of my property showing forest resources.

- Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I am going to give Rose-Marie a call first thing this morning, I did not know such a program exisited.

Still would like you as well to have a look, let me know the next time your in the area.

BryanEx
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks Bryan, I am going to give Rose-Marie a call first thing this morning, I did not know such a program exisited.

Still would like you as well to have a look, let me know the next time your in the area.

My recommendation is to start with Rose-Marie. She will ask in an email before her visit what your objectives are so try to be as clear as possible. She will bring tons of brochures, web site info, and information based on what you tell her in advance. Once she has done her visit, if you still have questions or concerns just drop me an email or PM. You are only a 1/2 hour away from me so I could stop by any weekend for a visit. You have a similar tap count as myself so we are likely looking at similar sugarbush management objectives.

- Bryan

deckers007
06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks Bryan, good to know, i called Rose like you suggested, they have a 1.5 month backlog right now, but i am in no rush. I am just going to continue cutting out the Birch and Poplar for firewood until she makes it out here. I have loads of birch and poplar and as far as i know cutting them will not hurt anything, and poplar burn nice and hot in the evaporator.

Saying that Bryan, if you are ever out my way send me a PM, the beer is always cold, and heck you might even catch us on a day when we are putting hay in the barn.....wouldn't that be fun!!:lol: