PDA

View Full Version : Fire Wood

Woody
06-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Splits tough but what do you think about elm for cooking sap?

thanks,

Haynes Forest Products
06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Elm was a good seller when I did firewood. We called it the poor mans Oak. We would have sold allot more but because of the elm beetle we had to put it in the landfill:mad: They use it for church pews its a nice hard wood. Splitting a nice big Elm crotch is fun on a 5hp splitter:o

C.Wilcox
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
If you can split it, burn it. We burn lots of it in the house and it works good. Always burns down to the fluffiest ashes you can imagine. Make sure you have a lot of maul handles ready.

maple2
06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
we lost most of our elms back in the 60s due to dutch elm disease

Ausable
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Splits tough but what do you think about elm for cooking sap?

thanks,

We have a nasty - distant cousin of the Elm - called Chinese Elm. It is nasty to split with a cork screw grain. Lots of splinters with the Chinese Elm. The Emerald Ash Borer is killing that along with the Ash trees. Can't say that I have ever saw a real Elm tree as they were pretty much wiped out in my part of Michigan before my time by Dutch Elm Disease. My Dad told me they were a stately - beautiful tree. Yep - Chinese Elm is in the mix of wood I use to Boil. -- Mike

red maples
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
As Long as its not pressure treated or painted wood it goes in!!! Junk wood for sap hard wood for the house!!!

Thats just me!!!

adk1
06-14-2011, 07:12 PM
I will be burning mostly hemlock and pine, as I have a lifetime supply of it on my property. I save the hardwood for my house!
I also plan on burning up alot of junk ends that the guy before me had piled up and under metal roofing cover. I just want to get rid of it. Will save anything that looks like I can use if for something, otherwise, in the evap it will go

Ausable
06-14-2011, 07:26 PM
The Evaporator is a great place to get rid of all the odd shaped wood that is hard to stack. I guess we all agree - the junk wood boils sap and the hardwood heats the house. White Birch --- is a little different - If the bark is off I burn it to heat the house - if bark is on I boil sap with it --- Mike

KenWP
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Slowly getting all the dead elms cut up around here. There are a few live ones left but few is the key word. Lot of it is wet standing up and never dries when I cut it up for fire wood.

crawflyer
06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I have several live elm on my prop. cutting the last two of the dead ones tomorrow. I save some of the really big pieces for campfire seats.

brookledge
06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I like elm for my house, since it is so stringy it works like kindling. I mix it in with the better hardwood. I do the same thing with poplar. I'm trying to slowly get rid of poplar around small maples so they can take off. When you burn the junk wood it is a good incentive to better your sugarbush
Keith