PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

Killington Maple
06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Found this "Natural" Maple topping for sale on Ebay. Has the "Grand Nord" brand on the label. Only disclaimer is that it's a blend and not 100% real maple syrup. Yet it says Natural on the label. I noticed that it can't be found on Grand Nord's website though, so maybe it's just a Ebay product. They have it priced at $9.95 for 375 ML plus $22.95 for shipping! It's being sold as "Natural Maple Topping Syrup Blend". The Ebay website it's being sold on is from Quirionworld.
Would like to know everyone's thoughts on this, as it seems similar to what we just went through with the other fake syrup!

802maple
06-13-2011, 07:30 AM
I agree that there may be some issues about this syrup around the labeling, but we have to be careful about beating that drum over the word "natural". It wouldn't take much of a lawyer to turn that around on us and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. I have never seen by definition any natural maple syrup, I have seen sap that was natural, but anything beyond that is a processed product. I agree that we should allow the proper people to research this to see if there is any fraudulent promotion happening here.

The one thing we don't need is some podunk court deciding with a big headline in the paper "Maple Syrup determined to not be natural"

Haynes Forest Products
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm with 802 on the natural label. If we could safely consume crude oil and all we did was pump it out of the ground and bottle it could we label it natural? Isn't cane sugar natural? So blending the two would be combining 2 natural products. I think the problem is its not 100% maple product.

Its like Coors beer that is bottled in Virginia. Competitors didn't like the fact that it was beer concentrate that was bottled in Virginia using well water. Lost in court because the label only said BREWED using Rocky Mountain spring water.

Jim Brown
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Some things are just best if left alone!

Our two cents

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
06-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Trust me when I say it irks the heck out of me to see Gourmet Table Syrup selling for more money in the Maple syrup isle. Then you read the label and see it contains 20% maple syrup. Yes the commercial ropey maple syrup that gets sold to wholesalers. Yup the evil wholesalers that will buy the crap that you dont want or cant sell. If you buy ropey black off flavor syrup and extract the sugar out of it and then use that by product for use in Maple Flavored table syrup I don't see how we can complaine. Its business thats all. Does it steal our profits......................I think it might but what right do we have to try and stop a segment of the syrup business.

Catsup was bumped off the number one spot as a condiment by Salsa.......................things change peoples tastes change. If everyone in a small town got together and agreed to NEVER buy anything from the big evil box stores then they would not move into that market. From what I read on the Trader sounds like most people are selling all they can make and do it again year after year. I don't like the idea of increasing my sales by stopping someone else from selling there product as long as they don't lie cheat or run me out of town with false claims.

Mc Donald's got there nickers ripped in Vermont with the Maple claim so they came to an agreement IN Vermont not Colorado:mad:

CBOYER
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Some Information about Grand nord:

Great Northern Maple Products is a global provider of products, maple and other syrups. All our products are certified organic. Great Northern offers all these products under its own brand or under private labels for a multitude of companies in over 35 countries worldwide. Great Northern is committed to its customers and recognized for its high quality standards, competitive pricing and professional employees. Certified organic by Ecocert Canada (JAS also offered) and kosher by OU. Quality is our priority, our factory is certified HACCP, BRC and IFS. Great Northern is your first choice for maple products.

Products Exported
Pure maple syrup, pure maple sugar, maple syrup, agave syrup, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, table syrup, etc..

Dennis H.
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Are you quoting this or are you saying that YOU are Grand Nord??

Butch
06-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Hey - just kidding about this, of course - but did anyone else notice Boyer's incredible improvement in his command of English???

Sacre' bleu!

Kev
06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm with 802 on the natural label. If we could safely consume crude oil and all we did was pump it out of the ground and bottle it could we label it natural? Isn't cane sugar natural? So blending the two would be combining 2 natural products. I think the problem is its not 100% maple product.

Its like Coors beer that is bottled in Virginia. Competitors didn't like the fact that it was beer concentrate that was bottled in Virginia using well water. Lost in court because the label only said BREWED using Rocky Mountain spring water.

crude oil is natural, it is also organic. That does not mean i have any intention of putting it on my food.

Haynes Forest Products
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Now Kev please read what I said about safely consuming it. OH yea Vasaline is 100% pure patrolium jelly and you put it in all sorts of places even your mouth:rolleyes:

TF Maple
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Hey - just kidding about this, of course - but did anyone else notice Boyer's incredible improvement in his command of English???

Sacre' bleu!

I thought it was a copy and paste from a website myself.:lol:

Kev
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
ROFL Haynes hehe

CBOYER
06-16-2011, 04:00 PM
"Are you quoting this or are you saying that YOU are Grand Nord?? "

"Hey - just kidding about this, of course - but did anyone else notice Boyer's incredible improvement in his command of English???"

"I thought it was a copy and paste from a website myself"

Hey guys, Grand nord is in St-Honoré de Shenley in Qc, somes 40 miles from my place. Info came from Agri-food export group, and yes it is a copy, paste and Google traduct, (some small correction needed).
They sold for $2,900,000.00 last year, and have 25 workers.

Myself i produced 25 gallons this year, and was alone:lol:

For my english, i have work in Chemicals Whit Akzo Nobel for 15 yrs, and visit a lot of plants in US and Europe, but this was 10 yrs from now so i have to practice to keep it.;)

maple maniac65
06-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Your English is a lot better than my French. I wonder how many Traders in the US are bilingual.

ziggy
06-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Here's my thought's. Produce a first class product, package it as if it is gold, charge a premium price and first class customers will choose your product over the cheep imitation every time. The customers who cannot afford our premium product will either buy the cheep imitation or go without, but either way they will nor buy our product. So don't worry about the imitations, what about maple oatmeal, it has been around forever and has no maple, actually it is quite good. Don't waste your/our time on the imitations, spend your time on our products, make them great and we will all make money. Actually I am much more concerned about producers who turn out poor quality real product, that hurts us much more that imitation. If a customer buys a poorly filtered syrup, somthing off flavor, etc the customer may never again buy our product.

802maple
06-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Here's my thought's. Produce a first class product, package it as if it is gold, charge a premium price and first class customers will choose your product over the cheep imitation every time. The customers who cannot afford our premium product will either buy the cheep imitation or go without, but either way they will nor buy our product. So don't worry about the imitations, what about maple oatmeal, it has been around forever and has no maple, actually it is quite good. Don't waste your/our time on the imitations, spend your time on our products, make them great and we will all make money. Actually I am much more concerned about producers who turn out poor quality real product, that hurts us much more that imitation. If a customer buys a poorly filtered syrup, somthing off flavor, etc the customer may never again buy our product.

Butch
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Boyer - you have both "boules" and "tenacite'" and I admire that you keep up with us given the language barrier. No offense intended earlier...

CBOYER
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
as i said before, a lot of you have to look your "roots", you have french explorators in your ancestors, thats maybe why you make Maple syrup:D

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
as i said before, a lot of you have to look your "roots", you have french explorators in your ancestors, thats maybe why you make Maple syrup:D

thank god I don't, English, Irish, Norwegian,

Kev
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Sorry Neighbor to the North... all german here. LOL

CBOYER
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Remember that french explorators does'nt explore only lands:they have a reputation, and have a good reason to move fast from where they were:lol::o:lol:

3rdgen.maple
06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Remember that french explorators does'nt explore only lands:they have a reputation, and have a good reason to move fast from where they were:lol::o:lol:

I hear where you are going with that. Ever read the book Undaughnting Courage? Its about Lewis and Clark. Written based off from their personal diaries. Good read but in it it talks about the french explorers and basically back in those times it was common indian belief that when a indians wife sleeps with another man their children will gain all power and knowledge of the men she slept with. It was very common for the chiefs to have the french exporers do just that. The end result was a huge outspread of STD that the french men had. Part of the claim is the STD"s they received from the french was a big part of the depopulation of the indians, death and fertitlity. First thing that went through my mind when I read that was how do they even know whos child it was and I never heard of a french indian LOL.

CBOYER
06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Come on 3rd gen, this thread turn now on my english connaissance and you give me a word that doesnt exist...the title of Mr Ambrose book is undaunted courage

in Canada, British General Jeffrey Amherst send to Native people blankets infect by Smallpox :You will Do well to try to Innoculate the Indians by means of Blankets, as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race»

If we return to Great north, i think like some others: they clearly identify their product as a mix, they produce a lot of Maple mix flavor (blueberry, raspberry etc) and i think at end bring people to finnaly buy the PURE one.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Remember that french explorators does'nt explore only lands:they have a reputation, and have a good reason to move fast from where they were

How do you tell if a Frenchman has ever been in a war?:confused:

His arm pits are sun burned:lol::lol::lol:

Ausable
06-18-2011, 04:19 PM
The Early French had a problem - France at that time had the Dowry System. The family of the Bride had to give the Groom and his family a dowry before the bride could marry the groom. So now the French settle in the New World and they have lots of men and few women. What wealthy girl would want to live in the wilds of Canada and the Orphan and poor girls that would go could not pay the dowry...........A real problem......and the only available women were in the Indian Tribes and that caused numerous problems. So the King of France decided He would Pay the Dowries for the Orphan and Poor Girls who would come to the New World and Marry French Settlers etc... These Girls were called "Daughters of the King". Some of my Wifes Ancestors were married under this system in Montreal, Quebec - Ran into this little tidbit while working on family genealogy ..... Mike

CBOYER
06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey flat lander, better read your idependance war history, remember some french guys name Gilbert du Mortier Marquis de LaFayette, Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau ? Theres a British General name Charles Cornwallis in Virginia that burn his hands;)

3rdgen.maple
06-19-2011, 12:11 AM
You know Boyer I was typing the name of the book and the whole time IM thinking to myself that doesnt look right. Nice catch there frenchman. Now back to the original post. LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Hey flat lander, better read your idependance war history, remember some french guys name Gilbert du Mortier Marquis de LaFayette, Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau ? Theres a British General name Charles Cornwallis in Virginia that burn his hands;)

I will have to refresh my memory, (I do believe we enlisted some french sharp shooters because the Brits had brought in some Persians but will read up on it) and had some relatives that fought the british, they didn't like paying taxes so they were forced to leave GB:D, if memory serves me right, one of my relatives married George Washingtons wifes sister according to some geneology my cousin has done.

KenWP
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I hear where you are going with that. Ever read the book Undaughnting Courage? Its about Lewis and Clark. Written based off from their personal diaries. Good read but in it it talks about the french explorers and basically back in those times it was common indian belief that when a indians wife sleeps with another man their children will gain all power and knowledge of the men she slept with. It was very common for the chiefs to have the french exporers do just that. The end result was a huge outspread of STD that the french men had. Part of the claim is the STD"s they received from the french was a big part of the depopulation of the indians, death and fertitlity. First thing that went through my mind when I read that was how do they even know whos child it was and I never heard of a french indian LOL.

I take it you never heard the word metis before.French Indians.

We had a big scandal here couple years ago as the one big maple comapany was selling syrup in the stores cheap and people bought it like hotcakes with out actually reading the label or the advertisement in the paper.Turns out it wasn't maple just looked like a maple can of syrup.People would be reading the can eating breakfast or when they tasted it and find out it was just expensive sugar syrup.

CBOYER
06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Hers what's KenWp talk about:

In Quebec, nearly all pure Maple syrup sold to customers is in 540ml tin can, and it was the first time that a packer sold cane sugar syrup in this kind of packing: that was really made to fool peoples..