PDA

View Full Version : sugar??????????????

maplefrank
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
tried making sugar using a friends cream machine made from a agitator.....it turned to sugar but was sticky.........wondering if it was the humidity or if it turned too slow???????

upsmapleman
06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I make lots of sugar with a cream machine and have problems as you describe on occasion. No matter what you do (take it higher ect.) turns out sticky. I've found that it is the syrup. My guess is the invert sugar. I've tried a batch several times and it will just be sticky. Do syrup from another barrel and it turns out every time. When I get some that does this that gets set aside and goes for commercial next year.

Dale

maple2
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
sometimes ours comes out sticky. usually caused by humidity. drying the sugar in the oven usually works

maplefrank
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
how hot do you have the oven??? and for how long????

ToadHill
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
UPSMapleman has it right. If the invert sugar level is to high it will not crystallize properly. If you get a chance take the confections workshops put on by Cornell. You will learn how to measure for invert sugar levels and they will give you a manual that has tables that will tell you what invert levels are acceptable for different products e.g. sugar, cream, candy, etc. Once you have done the invert sugar test a couple of times it becomes really easy. Humidity does play a factor, but it is not as significant as the invert sugar level. If you can't get to one of the workshops you can probably get a copy of the confections manual. It's loaded with information. Anyone who makes confections should have one. Good luck.

maple2
06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
225 deg. for 15min.

Sugarmaker
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Early syrup makes the best sugar. See my post today on sugar with the Hobart mixer.
Hope that helps,
Chris