PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for sap collecting tank on 3pt hitch?

TroutBrookSH
02-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I currently use 2-25 gal tanks - front and back - on my ATV for hauling sap out of the woods. Now that I bought an old Kubota B7100 from Dad, I wondering if anyone has any ideas how I might put that to use? I don't have weighted wheels, so I thought maybe a tank full of sap on the 3pt would be the way to go. Thanks for input.

Greg

Father & Son
02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
The tractor supply places or anyplace that sells 3 pt hitch equipment sell, I'm not sure exactly what its called, a tote or steel frame you can make a platform out of to mount a tank. I built one probably 8-10 years ago with pressure treated wood and it's still in good shape. Ran about $50 plus wood.

Jim

Tractor Supply Company has it under 3 pt hitch equipment. They call it a Heavy Duty Carry All.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Greg,

This is how I have collected my sap for years. I have a 125 gallon horizontal leg tank that holds close to 140 gallon that I haul on a carryall on the back. A few things to remember is that with that much sap and the carryall,it would 1250 to 1300 pounds, so you would have to have weights on the front of the tractor or a bucket. You may be ok as long as you stay on flat ground, but where I am, nothing is flat. I used my dad's JD 5200 4x4 for years and it worked fine and would have been fine probably without any weight on the front due to its size and being 4x4 but he had about 400 pounds of weight on it anyway.

He since moved and took his tractor and I bought a Kubota L3400. It has a loader on the front and I bought a 65 gallon horizontal leg tank for the loader which will counterbalance the 140 gallon on the rear and allow me to pick up 200 gallon each trip pending the tractor will handle that much. It is a 35 hp compact tractor and the weight I would be lifting is within it's range. Another thing is to tighten the lift sway links up as tight as possible and strap the tank to the carryall very secure. I have nearly thrown off the tank more than once even having it secured. If you have a carry all with a wooden floor, then nail a board to the floor on each side of the tank and this will all but eliminate that problem.

The biggest problem with most carryalls you buy is that they are rated for maximun of 1,000 pounds. If that is within your sap weight range you would be hauling, then fine. You could build a much heavier duty one yourself or have someone fabricate you one for a little more. I have been looking for one and not having much luck until I got my Northern tools catalog the other day and they now have one 4x6 that also dumps and have a 2,500 capacity. I would like to be able to get one of those within the next year or so as they have 4 sides on them and the rear side is a tailgate. Would make hauling wood a snap also and easier than pulling my 5x8 trailer. :D

maplehound
02-12-2006, 01:48 PM
My neighbors used to haul sap on a three point hitch. But they got stuck more often than not. Ended up dumping more sap than they ever haulse out of the woods, till they decided to park the tractor on the road and put a pto pump on the tractor that both vaccuumed and pressure pumped the sap. Then they just went through te woods with a hose and stuck it in each bucket and vaccumed it out of the bucket and back to the tank. Although they did have a smaller woods and it was close to the road. I tel you this so you know to run that tractor around the woods with that much weight on you will need a well packed and dry path, something most around here don't have in the woods.
Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I have used a tractor for years and in the mud and everything else and never dumped a gallon. The last few years the tractor has been a 4x4 and the new one I bought is the same. I would be lost if I had to use a 4x2.

Where would you pick up a Pto pump at?? I would love to have one of those. :?

maplehound
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
brandon
I bought the pump off them. I think they bought it from a local farm supply place but I'm not sure. If your intrested in it though I might sell it. I have used it a couple times for washing tubing but I have other pumps that do the same jop and prefer to vaccuume wash anyway. send me a pm if interested.
Ron

maple flats
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I have collected with a 3 pt carryall on a 20 hp 4x4 tractor for 3 seasons. Never got stuck yet and i had to go thru mucky standing water the first season, spun some but never stuck. I have now built roads and culverts across the bogs all thru my woods, should not have any problems now. The carry-all I have is only rated 500 lbs but I have picked up over 100 gal in my 125 horizontal leg type tank. The uprights where the pins are mounted are a little bent but it seems to work. My 125 gal tank is strapped to a pallet on the carryall, holding both the pallet and the tank on. I did need to add some weight on the front or i couldn't let the clutch out without popping a wheelie. Now I built a wooden box that is mounted on the hood and I carry several logging chains in it for weight as well as having suitcase weights on the front end.

tstew
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Brandon

U can find the pto pumps at about any farm supply store they are roller pumps. I know tractor supply company has them listed on their website

brookledge
02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Last year while golfing I saw a atv on the course that had a pto pump mounted on the back of it driven somehow from under the seat. It looked cool and imeadiately I thought of someone using it for sugaring. I don't have a need for one but It looked great.
Keith

saphappy
02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Just saw Northern tool ad for 3 pt hitch 4'x6' platform with weight capacity of 1500# -- thats almost 200 gallons at rated capacity, gonna want a loader on the front end....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2006, 08:23 PM
I believe if you look closer, it has a 2500 lb capacity if it is the same one I saw that is 4x6 and dumps. :?

TroutBrookSH
02-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the input on the carry-all. Brandon, that's a nice new toy you've got.

According to my Kubota owner's manual, they recommend a max capacity on the 3pt of 400 lbs. Loader spec is up to 500 lbs. Any opinions on what's reasonable? It doesn't take much sap to hit 400 lbs @ 8.3 lbs/gallon.

Greg

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I will take pics of my setup and post them on my website later today. I have had both tanks completely full yet, but I had close to 170 gallon on the front and rear and the tractor performed awesome! :D

cropseyvillemark
02-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Greg, Be careful on the 3 pt. hitch. The rating is generally at 24" reach . The carryall may reach well beyond that. Ratings ca be reduced considerably at 30 or 36 inches. Too much weight with any sway or bounce can lead to serious=expensive repairs.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Yes, but what you have to remember is that it is 24" behind lift point. My tank sticks 36" past lift point which means I can pick up more than the lift capacity on mine. No I am not stupid, what I mean is that the center of my tank is only 20" behind lift point, so that means the biggest percentage of my sap is less than 24" behind lift point. With the extra weight behind the liftpoint, it balances it out, so it would still be close to lift capacity. Mine is 1450, and the tractor seems to have no problem with 140 gallon of sap on the rear and 150 to 200 lbs for the carryall and the tank. :D

Hope that makes sense. :lol: :lol:

cropseyvillemark
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I should clarify further. I'm not saying that you should abandon the carryall. If you are going to travel in the woods with a load in your bucket you should always have something on the back,especially if you dont have wieghts or loaded tires.Just pay atention to those specs as you move that weight rearward.

brookledge
02-19-2006, 07:41 AM
When you have to much weight on the back and the front wheels are off the ground thats no problem just steer with the brakes :lol: :lol:
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
I did get some pics posted on my website under maple syrup of my sap hauling system. :)

Also posted a few pics of the evaporator boiling yesterday. :)

Sugarmaker
02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Brandon,
Nice pictures!
Chris

NH Maplemaker
02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Brandon ,I'm sitting here feeling a little jealous ! Can't waite for sap to flow here in New Hampshire. I enjoyed your new pic's. We all know how hard you have worked to be ready and boiling in your new sugar house!! Enjoy your self! You have earned it.

Jim L.

TroutBrookSH
02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Brandon, Thanks for sharing the updated pictures! Nice set-up -- both tractor and sugar shack. What's the tote for behind the tank?

I picked up a carry-all at TSC yesterday -- $120 w/tax. Northern's was cheaper on line, but shipping cost was ~$90 more. Still debating about tanks, but I'll probably put ~30 gal in the loader and ~50 gal on the carry all. Whatever I end up going with, I'll test drive on the slopes around the yard -- with water -- before heading for the woods.

Greg

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Greg,

It's a 32 gallon rubbermaid container that I haul my Tanaka pump, stainless funnel and 25' of 1 inch hose to pump from my tanks in the woods to the tanks on the tractor. :D

maplehound
02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Brandon
I use a simular tote on My wagon that I haul a 550 gal tank down the road on. I to carry along a small pump and fuel for my generator in it. I will have to get some pictures of my whole operation for everyone to see. Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Ron,

We all love pics and I like the pics you already have but more it better! :D :wink: