PDA

View Full Version : Maple Mojito

Luneyburg
06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Yum !

Ok Summer set in today here in Central MA. Hot as heck long story short .
Worked on a roof the last few days and good Lord it was hot to say the least.
So upon getting home late this afternoon a cold shower was in order but what to do about the beverage situation in order to quench this insane thirst ? A gallon + of water simply did not help and something with alcohol certainly helps relax a little bit ? Flatlander seems to have explored this realm and might confirm my assumption :D
So what came to mind was a refreshing drink Mojito .

Out to the garden i went and picked some fresh mint , the wife made herself some simple sugar, (boring) and I grabbed some of none other than the golden maple nectar. First time ever but when i saw in the recipe it called for simple sugar I immediately thought maple syrup , heck only natural right ?

It was simply the best Mojito I have ever had period !! Better than any I have had out, even in Miami Fla. where i learned about this refreshing, splendid drink . For those of you that partake , and hopefully someone has not already posted about this Ill list my take on the recipe .

Start with a 12 oz glass and add 12 mint leaves(fresh ingredients are the best), half a lime either cut into wedges or chunks .Then add 2 tablespoons of preferably light amber syrup .
Then lightly Muddle the added ingredients to release the flavors of each (I used a wooden Pestle) Then fill the glass with ice, add 2 oz of light Rum and top of with some chilled club soda . Mix it all up and enjoy !

Good stuff and Happy Summer

lafite
06-09-2011, 06:29 AM
we made maple mint juleps for the Kentucky Derby...just replace the simple syrup with the maple nectar...delicious!!

Luneyburg
06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
we made maple mint juleps for the Kentucky Derby...just replace the simple syrup with the maple nectar...delicious!!

Wow my choice of poison first and foremost would be bourbon but try to tone it down because of the toll it takes on you. But man I love a good bourbon and the drink you mentioned (i have never heard before) sounds scrumptious !

I'll will be giving this one a test, just so happen to have a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Years Old Lot "B"

Thanks for the heads up on another maple drink

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I know what I'm going to drink this weekend, Thanks Luneyburg

Luneyburg
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah man good stuff , especially when its really hot out its one refreshing drink.
Ill have to do a search im sure you have posted some good recipe's !

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah man good stuff , especially when its really hot out its one refreshing drink.
Ill have to do a search im sure you have posted some good recipe's !

I haven't yet, need to dig out beer making supplies and recipes I have if wife didn't toss them

warners point
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
After a couple of hard days at work tearing out some factory blemished tile, I needed an adult beverage. Being a fan of the mojito, boy did this hit the spot. When I ran to the store to get some fresh mint, all they had was a package with mint and spearmint. The first three drinks I made with the mint and the last one was spearmint. I was a little worried about the flavor, but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually really good. As a matter of fact, I think I prefer spearmint over regular mint as it gives it a little more of a cool after taste. Thanks for posting this recipe!!!

Ausable
06-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Ahhhhhh! -- Good old spearmint, lemon balm, apple mint and all the other mints. Originally we planted mints going through our herbal phase - Well the phase came and went ---- But--- the mints stayed and spread and spread. I still go out in my little swamp and gather spearmint and lemon balm and let it hang and dry and make tea out of it in Winter. If You ever have it planted and spread on you -- it will be hard to imagine you ever bought the stuff. Sometimes I just chew the leaves as I like the flavor..... Mike

Luneyburg
06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
After a couple of hard days at work tearing out some factory blemished tile, I needed an adult beverage. Being a fan of the mojito, boy did this hit the spot. When I ran to the store to get some fresh mint, all they had was a package with mint and spearmint. The first three drinks I made with the mint and the last one was spearmint. I was a little worried about the flavor, but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually really good. As a matter of fact, I think I prefer spearmint over regular mint as it gives it a little more of a cool after taste. Thanks for posting ts recipe!!!

Nice man ! glad to hear it as it sure does quench the thirst . I like both and have both planted in my garden (spearmint and peppermint) I also prefer the spearmint as well :)

Floor tile or wall tile ? What was the adhesive ? Actually does not matter if the installer knew what he was doing , tough to get out .

Luneyburg
06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Ahhhhhh! -- Good old spearmint, lemon balm, apple mint and all the other mints. Originally we planted mints going through our herbal phase - Well the phase came and went ---- But--- the mints staed and spread and spread. I still go out in my little swamp and gather spearmint and lemon balm and let it hang and dry and make tea out of it in Winter. If You ever have it planted and spread on you -- it will be hard to imagine ou ever bought the stuff. Sometimes I just chew the leaves as I like the flavor..... Mike

Dang ! could not remember what the heck I forgot to plant this year and you have just reminded me LEMON BALM ! Crap I love that stuff as well goes great on any kind of fowl especially chicken .

Always have a chew of mint while I am working in the garden good stuff ....

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-03-2011, 07:06 AM
went and bought the rum and lime had everything else not bad drinks hate to try to get drunk on them but I could see have a hot day how refreshing they would be