PDA

View Full Version : summer prep

lafite
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Most of my wood is now split and stacked for next season...8 more months to wait!!!

adk1
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Most of my wood is now split and stacked for next season...8 more months to wait!!!

if that is all you have to do is sit and wait you are way ahead of most of us!:rolleyes:

maple flats
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Yea, way ahead. I have my wood split and stacked BUT I have 1600' of 1.25, 1.5 wet dry conductor line to install, 3500' of 3/4" mains and 6-700 taps, maybe more. I need to build a cellar for syrup storage, dig a drain trench for drain tile from cellar to 300' away to drain out, get an insulated shed moved about 300' and set on cellar, partition off an RO room and further insulate it more, build a set of enclosed stairs from sugarhouse to RO room, build pit to lower drums into cellar, build roof over existing tank and vac because it got burried several times with snow, buy and place new 1000 gal+ tank or 3000 gal and not need to get larger tank next year, etc, etc, etc.
I better give up sleeping if I am to get done by next Feb.

adk1
06-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Yea, way ahead. I have my wood split and stacked BUT I have 1600' of 1.25, 1.5 wet dry conductor line to install, 3500' of 3/4" mains and 6-700 taps, maybe more. I need to build a cellar for syrup storage, dig a drain trench for drain tile from cellar to 300' away to drain out, get an insulated shed moved about 300' and set on cellar, partition off an RO room and further insulate it more, build a set of enclosed stairs from sugarhouse to RO room, build pit to lower drums into cellar, build roof over existing tank and vac because it got burried several times with snow, buy and place new 1000 gal+ tank or 3000 gal and not need to get larger tank next year, etc, etc, etc.
I better give up sleeping if I am to get done by next Feb.

wow, and I thought I had alot to do..good luck with all that bro

ctjim
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
we had a bunch cut and split early and had plenty left over. we've moved on to bigger stuff now haying season, then this fall i need to finish doing some thinning and set up my small bush on vac.

3rdgen.maple
06-06-2011, 11:24 PM
WOW Flats you have alot on your plate this summer. I like the syrup cellar idea. Might have to put that on the list for down the road. Personally Im almost done with my wood for the sugarhouse but want to get next years in as well. New mains are up and ready to order more lateral tubing and fittings. Probably wait till fall to finish that up and get after the wood for the house, get started on the sugarhouse rebuild and the honey do list. It never ends does it?

adk1
06-07-2011, 08:02 AM
WOW Flats you have alot on your plate this summer. I like the syrup cellar idea. Might have to put that on the list for down the road. Personally Im almost done with my wood for the sugarhouse but want to get next years in as well. New mains are up and ready to order more lateral tubing and fittings. Probably wait till fall to finish that up and get after the wood for the house, get started on the sugarhouse rebuild and the honey do list. It never ends does it?

Heck no it never ends even from the start!

lafite
06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I guess I have it easier than some of you guys...Mapleflats made me tired by reading his post!!

Enjoy the summer and good luck with the prep work!

collinsmapleman2012
06-07-2011, 09:34 PM

i read about the mains and thought adk was posting it. :o:o:o:emb:

maple flats
06-08-2011, 05:04 AM
I just hope my grandson does not take any days off. I also have a blueberry farm I need to tend to, mowing, spraying, cleaning brush from the rows (only 10 rows to go out of 54) and cultivating. I have a special tiller that spins on a vertical axis and rides to the right of the tractor at mid point on the tractor. As I very slowly drive the rows a joystick controls the tiller going in and out between the bushes. I try to do that 3-4X each summer. (google Weed Badger to see)

adk1
06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
i read about the mains and thought adk was posting it. :o:o:o:emb:

Har dee harrr ahrrrrrrr...I will get r done, I am not worried!

maple flats
06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
And with temperatures like today (95? and humid) I stay indoors. I don't do well in the heat. Give me zero degrees and I can work all day, but frozen ground means some things are out.
Jon Link, of Link Maple Farm planned my layout, along with a lot of input from Leader. Hopefully the system will work wonderfully when I get to the max tap count in 2-3 years. The most expensive part was the fact that the conductor line (1.25" wet/1.5" dry) will all be installed the first year because that will handlw where I will be starting the taps. My later additions will just be 3/4" mains branching from the conductor and the laterals from them.

batsofbedlam
06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Footing poured for sugar house adjunct and contractor cutting framing beams from pine logs from my woods as we speak(sorta). An insulated, heated room in this building will house our new RO. This should cut back on firewood use an time next season.

Lew56
06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
My summer prep includes, building a sugar shack, setting up all the equipment, and cut the fire wood for the 2012 boiling season. So far non of it is done cause I can't decide where to build the sugar shack, I keep changing my mind!
:confused:

adk1
06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Completed redoing my driveway this weekend. Sick of smowblowing all the #2 stone on the lawn and sinking in with the cars in the mud season. Luckily I have a relative that has a NEw Holland tractor and knows how to use it. widened the drive, cut into a bank and made another access/parking area along the garage/saphouse. drainage in place, road fabric down and 45 ton of crusher run...looks nice! now back to maple stuff as time permits

06-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Completed redoing my driveway this weekend. Sick of smowblowing all the #2 stone on the lawn and sinking in with the cars in the mud season. Luckily I have a relative that has a NEw Holland tractor and knows how to use it. widened the drive, cut into a bank and made another access/parking area along the garage/saphouse. drainage in place, road fabric down and 45 ton of crusher run...looks nice! now back to maple stuff as time permits

Hey have you been planning to redo your driveway as long as you have been planning surgaring ;):lol:;)

dracmaple
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I was wondering if there is anywhere in CT besides tractor supply to get a good price on a pickup truck tank for sap handling? Thanks

batsofbedlam
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
You could try Norman's Sugar House in Woodstock, CT, but I think you will get your best price from Bascom's in Alstead, NH.

markct
10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I was wondering if there is anywhere in CT besides tractor supply to get a good price on a pickup truck tank for sap handling? Thanks

how big of a tank are you looking for? lamothes sugarhouse in burlington ct has some used tanks for sale, including a 210 gal pickup tank that he is selling for me.

my summer prep for maple has been going well, got the ro room mostly done, just gota paint the floor and finish the electric wiring and then of course plumb the ro machine itself. almost time to start thinking about getting some work done in the woods before the snow makes it harder to do!

Greenwich Maple Man
10-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Do you by any chance live near Johnsburg?

GramaCindy
10-09-2011, 06:44 AM

Hey adk1, did you get the guy to build your cupola? I have to say….well worth the expense of having someone else build it. It was SCARY UP THERE!:o