PDA

View Full Version : Sap pumping problem

maple flats
06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
In my new bush, the tank, vac pump and releaser will be on the bush landowner's property, about 550' +/- from the nearest road, across an adjoining property. I have permission to cross the other property owner's land. The elevation is nearly level but here is my question. How should I move the sap to the road? How do I design a system that can move the sap as needed, maybe even to a roadside tank, without needing to figure how to drain the pump and line to prevent freezing? Anyone tackle this?

Thad Blaisdell
06-05-2011, 05:58 AM
Build a small box using 2 inch foam insulation. Use a small gas heater on a grill tank. I use a 3/4 horse High pressure pump and a small generator. Have the generator kill switch attached to a float in the tank. Dont worry about the line freezing it will thaw out long before you need it to. I pump sap from two locations. One is similar to your situation. No problem.

06-05-2011, 05:59 AM
how about somthing like those frost free hydryants

maple flats
06-05-2011, 06:21 AM
That, that would work if I run low on sap in the main tank before the truck tank is full. How would this work if the truck tank fills first? How do I shut it off then?

maple flats
06-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Another problem I am studying is the gas storage in the woods. I likely won't be able to haul large quantities after the snow gets deep and the bush is on a travel route for snowmobilers. I can't just leave an open invite for them to fuel their sleds, I need some security. The tank and pump will be off the sled trail about 400' but as I walk lines my tracks will invite them to explore. Any ideas will be entertained. I have even thought of an enclosure and barbed wire to guard it. My other thought is to run a fuel line from the road and pump a day or 2 supply at a time. The fuel line could be under the snow and not be visable. Then I would need a pump and a check valve in the line to pump from my transfer tank at the truck. I could also use diesel and far fewer would even be tempted to steal some.

Thad Blaisdell
06-05-2011, 08:35 AM
I use a champion generator from tractor supply. I used it to pump out my tank all season on two tanks of fuel.... about 4 gallons total. That was for about 1800 taps. Fuel is not an issue. As far as the heater my guess is two grill tanks will do it. Have them there this fall and you would be all set and ready.

maple flats
06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
The gas for the pump is not the big issue, the vac pump will be gas too and that will not run on 8 gal for the season. This year on my other vacuum I used about 5-6 gal/day on the days it ran 24 hrs. I will need a bigger tank to last over 1 day. If I need to refill each day I will be hand carrying gas, on snowshoes, in a tote sled every day. I have no snowmobile and I looked at tracks for my quad, they run between $3200-$4800 depending on which I got. That is money that could buy more tubing etc.

bigtreemaple
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Dave, did you consider putting a vacume style tank at the roadside and a gasoline vac pump to suck the sap from the woods tank / releaser to the roadside tank?

maple flats
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
That sounds like an option too. At this point I am thinking I will try Thad's suggestion, but before I set it up I may study a second vacuum pump and either a releaser or vac tank.

brookledge
06-11-2011, 07:21 AM
If you have permission to cross the other land owner one other option you can do if you have the ability(trees or tall post to mount the line to) is to pump straight up high enough so that it can then slope all the way to the road. In a sense like a sap ladder that would be used if you had vac. The nice thing about doing it this way is when the pump shuts off all that drains back is the short vertical section and the rest will drain towards the road
Keith

Ozy
09-20-2011, 08:36 AM
What about putting the vacuum pump out at the road and running a "dry line" in to the releaser in the woods. That way you can fuel at the road. Maybe build a small shed at the road. Doesn't help sap transfer unless you can use vac to suck sap to road as well.

maple flats
09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Ozy, I'll have to study that idea. It sounds fairly good. Might need up to 400' more 1.5" dry line (plus the 200' I have left now) How are you picturing this? From where I planned to set the tank there is little or no drop the 5-600' left to go. I really don't get the exact picture. Do you suggest all tanks at the road, or just a single transfer line from the woods to the road, on vacuum? Releaser or Vac tank roadside?

Mike Czok
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Another problem I am studying is the gas storage in the woods. I likely won't be able to haul large quantities after the snow gets deep and the bush is on a travel route for snowmobilers. I can't just leave an open invite for them to fuel their sleds, I need some security. The tank and pump will be off the sled trail about 400' but as I walk lines my tracks will invite them to explore. Any ideas will be entertained. I have even thought of an enclosure and barbed wire to guard it. My other thought is to run a fuel line from the road and pump a day or 2 supply at a time. The fuel line could be under the snow and not be visable. Then I would need a pump and a check valve in the line to pump from my transfer tank at the truck. I could also use diesel and far fewer would even be tempted to steal some.

By the time sugaring comes around if it's like here snowmobile traffic will be very light. 400 feet is a long way to carry anything through the snow. If you are really worried use a metal can and chain it to a tree.

Ozy
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
My first thought was just to get the vac to your releaser in the woods. One line just for the vac. If you are willing to shut off vac while transfering sap from woods tank you could valve in your remote pump to the same line to transfer sap to road. with nearly flat line you will need large moisture trap or releaser at road to keep pump from getting wet when you go back to vac. perhaps other users have experience or knowledge about setting up releaser at road with mostly flat line. Next bright idea, sap ladder at your central location in the woods to give you pitch to road 8' lift would give you 2% for 400' then all equipment would be near road for easy acces.

Ozy
12-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Well Maple Flats what did you end up doing for a set up to get the sap out of the woods.

Ozy