PDA

View Full Version : June Journal

red maples
06-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I am correct is there no June journal yet???? Its June 4th already. Time to get one started!!!

Everyone ready for the 2012 season yet???:lol::rolleyes: hurry up theres about 9 or so months left to go depending on where your are!!!

Only about 6 months 'til the snow flies....got that house wood out of the woods split stacked and ready to go?......... I know I don't!!!! :rolleyes::)

adk1
06-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I was just thinking there was no June jurnal yet. I nominate you Red to create the monthly journals.
House wood was done by mid may. Sugarbush thinning for this year was done at the same time. Sapwood bucked up and laying on the ground. Tomorrow is sapwood splitting day. June will be a big month for me. will run my mainline for sure and figure out my temporary wood storage area. WIll be stacked on pallets covered in metal for this first year. luckily I have a back door on the saphouse so it will be a 10' wheelbarrel walk and that is it. NEed to clean some junk out of the way first though. Will buy all of my mainline (800') but wont put that up until september I would say.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-04-2011, 02:13 PM
rig torn down, removed from garage. Need welder, 1" angle iron.

Thad Blaisdell
06-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Everyone ready for the 2012 season yet???:lol::rolleyes: hurry up theres about 9 or so months left to go depending on where your are!!!

It doesnt seem possible but I will be tapping in 8 months...... 1/3 of the way there.

cpmaple
06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Hear you all on the house wood its been done for two months now and sugarhouse wood is almost done just have to finish wood shed for sugarhouse and that will be set. then off to run mainline wire and put up tubing can wait. seasons are coming and going way to fast. cpmaple

red maples
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't had a a ton of time between trying to get all the spring stuff done...Garden put the finishing touches on the garden today. herb garden finished thursday, Built a quick chicken coupe for meat birds (which are friggin' huge and they are only 2.5 weeks man can they eat) Helping the wife get her flower gardens in order, and trying to keep the chickens out of them. then there is T-ball with my son and soft ball with my daughter (lots of time there) and I am asst coach with both...oh yeah bees although they just pretty much do their own thing they only require about 2 hours a weeks right now and are a lot of fun!!! I have trees down everywhere in the woods I just need to cut 'em up and get them back to the house!!! And trying to fit fishing in there somewhere...the rivers are stocked with trout and the water level is finally down to normal the stripers are running I gotta get on the river for stripers they follow the alewifes up the river to the dam which is only 15 mins. from the house. Turkey season was a bust again this year ever year there are toms all over the place season comes they dissappear!!!!

Monday is house wood day all day!!! Got 3 or 4 more trees to take down and start cutting and splitting!!!

maple flats
06-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Sugarhouse wood done, but should do better for storage, it is stacked but uncovered. House wood won't be done til July or Aug. I'm doing mostly Ash so it takes very little time, but some drying still helps, even though "Ash wood wet or ash wood dry, A prince shall warm his slippers by"

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-05-2011, 07:04 PM
rigs ripped apart, back roof of garage, sides tomorrow

adk1
06-05-2011, 08:11 PM
got some sapwood split. White pine and hemlock. I am splitting to about wrist dia or slightly larger.

lakeview maple
06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I went out and hung new main lines wire and marked another 60 taps ,tried to line up for main line ,never is what you want but it will work alright,gonna need a bigger tank on this sugar bush 55 gallon barrel isnt gonna make it,Ill start on porch / wood shed on sugar house as soon I get the house back together,and the electric fence around the corn patch, LOL oh well it will be alright,the Ole Goat started hauling a ton of hemlock and pine for next year,local logger said to take it all,so he is taking it all,lol thank God for retired father in laws who like to stay busy.Take care all and God Bless ,Al

Yellzee
06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
mosquitos so bad here I can't get near the woods... would need hearing protection just for the buzzing.

twobears1224
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
i,am not going to be ready!!... no way no how!! :D

delbert

red maples
06-06-2011, 12:08 PM
i,am not going to be ready!!... no way no how!! :D

delbert

git r done!!!

Jeff E
06-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Here in WI it seems we went from 50 to 90. I have some 3/4" wet line in a W/D system to replace with 1", more capacity for the good days. About 1000' of it, and redo 3 other mainlines, just getting the tighter and better slope.

I also am going to go and replace the pvc valves on my releasers with brass.The pvc doesnt work very well under full vac.

80% of house wood yet to be done, kid is still working on syrup wood.
But he has a new Husqvaurna so he will get it done!

C.Wilcox
06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
House wood is all split for the next 3 years with another 2+ years waiting to be split. Unfortunately it came at the expense of several of the largest trees on my property. Old age and wind seem to bring them all down sooner or later. Sugar wood is also done for the next 2-3 seasons, but I only have a hobby operation so I don't use much. I upgraded to sap saks and holders for next season. Really looking forward to not washing pails. Also have a real urge to call Smokey Lake Maple to talk about a filter pan.

Sugarmaker
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Too hot to cut wood. Temp's will get back into the 70's next week and we will be at it again.
Sales have been down the last few weeks.
We do have a NWPA maple picnic this Sunday at Hurry Hill maple muesum in Edinboro. Hope to see maple friends there!
Regards,
Chris

220 maple
06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Hot and Sunny below the Mason-Dixon Line. Hopefully the trees are loading sugar for next season. I have never had below 2 percent sugar and I suspect it's because of the dry and sunny conditions every summer. In the past month I have walked two different sugar bushes for two friends. Both from my veiwpoint will make nice sugaring operations. The first one is located within 10 miles of my sugarbush. All sugar trees and some really impressive.
He will have a split woods with two collection points in the beginning. First guess 1000 taps.
The other sugarbush is located 20 miles plus from my sugar camp. They have made syrup in the past, an all bucket operation. They have hung 300 buckets plus before. They are getting older and need to go with tubing. Basically everywhere we looked on their ca.400 acre farm there is Sugar Trees, plus lots of Red Maples also which has never been tapped.
Only the easy access Sugars have been tapped before. First guess there is 2000 plus taps and I was told I had not seen all of their property, maybe half. The land owner kept saying after we started up a hollow that was full of maples that we was not near the property line and it was going to be maples all the way. They probably have the potential to be the second biggest operation in the state if they go after every tree on their farm. I have one other woods to look at. Hopefully it is a good as advertised, I'm hoping to help get it leased for the guy who buys my wholesale syrup every year. He has three places leased now but has none on vacuum. He feels he is missing out on the fun since one of the producers in his county put in a modern high vacuum system and made over a half a gallon of syrup to the tap hole. The first meeting I had with that landowner was very promissing towards a modern high vac system. more to come on that later.

Mark 220 Maple

3rdgen.maple
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Hot and Sunny below the Mason-Dixon Line. Hopefully the trees are loading sugar for next season. I have never had below 2 percent sugar and I suspect it's because of the dry and sunny conditions every summer.

220 I find that kind of interesting. The past 2 springs I have had very low sugar content. This past year it averaged 1.6% for the season. Now with that in mind the past 2 summers have been very wet here with well above normal rainfall. I have been hoping that we have a nice hot sunny summer because 3 seasons ago I had good sugar content and it was a dry hot summer. I am now thinking that with your experience and mine that what we truly need is a Semi wet- semi hot- semi sunny summer. LOL Am I missing something here?

KenWP
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
We are in a drought here hasn't rained in a week.I might be able to walk across the yard pretty soon with out getting my feet wet if it keeps up for another week or so.Hopefully it keeps up all summer and I can cut firewood as I am short now and can't get to the wood to cut it yet due to the mud and water.

red maples
06-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Too hot to cut wood. Temp's will get back into the 70's next week and we will be at it again.
Sales have been down the last few weeks.
We do have a NWPA maple picnic this Sunday at Hurry Hill maple muesum in Edinboro. Hope to see maple friends there!
Regards,
Chris

Same here worked on wood the beginning of the week but 90's mid week. much cooler now!!!! and some much needed rain. Good for bottling too. not too hot!!!

brookledge
06-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I was hoping to cut and split some wood today. Cooler temps and rain later in the day forecasted. Well rain from the get go today
Catching up on the trader
Keith

twobears1224
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
i picked up a deval 76 vac pump today at a auction.it,s a rebuilder but i got it for $27.50 so i figured i,de get it..i,ll pull it apart and freshen it up.it also has the moisture trap on it.

delbert

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Mark- Are you going to lease some trees up here in Somerset county?

220 maple
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Jeremey, Buffalo Creek.
No I am not going to lease some trees in Somerset County. That a good rumor! That being said I agree with Mr H. on you leasing the R B camp on Oak Dale Rd. Your young and have plenty of energy, plus you have the equipment to handle the extra 10000 taps after it is rebuilt right. Try to get a 10 year lease and rebuild about 2500 taps a year. In four years you will have modern set up. You will be the show system of the county when the International Maple Syrup meeting is held there. After rereading my post I understand why you thought that I was in Somerset County. I sell all my wholesale syrup to a guy in Highland County, Va. not Henry. That guy buys syrup from Henry every year. He like Henry has a contract where he has to provide a set amount every three weeks. He has already purchased a tractor trailer load thru Henry this year. He treats me real good and I'm trying to get him hooked up with a guy I know that apparently has a nice sugar bush. I may have to lease the woods myself and let him process the water, hope I don't have to do that.

Mark 220 Maple

Sugarmaker
06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Keeping a low profile:)
Chris

3rdgen.maple
06-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Sugarmaker that might be a smart move:) I spent the day in the sugarhouse doing some cleaning. After reorginizing a bit I got the hose out and scrubbed and rinsed down the floor. I do believe that another must have on my list is a better floor drain system. Evaporator sits all pretty and shined up, wood pile is looking pretty good. Almost time to get some hemlock out of the woods and off to the mill I think. I so badly want to tear the place down and bebuild it from the walls up, Higher walls a good size wood room addition and a steeper pitched roof. Big dreams my friends big dreams but I will get her done before the next sugaring season I hope.

C.Wilcox
06-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Spent the weekend running the sawmill and trying to get the pile of logs out of the yard. Had a bit of downtime after the rubber belt on the wheel tore in half and came flying off at full speed. Luckily no one was seriously hurt except for the blade on the mill which was ruined. My brother took a bit of rubber shrapnel in the chest and ended up with a funny looking welt, but was mostly unharmed. We cut up a large diameter honey locust that the wind took down in my back yard. Beautiful lumber, but so incredibly heavy that I couldn't believe it. A 2" thick by 12" wide by 8 feet long plank was more than one person could lift without killing themselves. I had just finished cutting up all my firewood last weekend, but now I have a pile of slabs to get rid of. It's a vicious cycle.

Sugarmaker
06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Sugarmaker that might be a smart move:) I spent the day in the sugarhouse doing some cleaning. After reorginizing a bit I got the hose out and scrubbed and rinsed down the floor. I do believe that another must have on my list is a better floor drain system. Evaporator sits all pretty and shined up, wood pile is looking pretty good. Almost time to get some hemlock out of the woods and off to the mill I think. I so badly want to tear the place down and bebuild it from the walls up, Higher walls a good size wood room addition and a steeper pitched roof. Big dreams my friends big dreams but I will get her done before the next sugaring season I hope.
New sugarhouse!!!!! NICE!! Just pace yourself, have a plan, and the funds, and go to it! Post some before and after pictures so we can see your progress!
Regards,
Chris

waysidemaple
06-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Not much maple here latley. Cleaned up the sugarhouse a few days ago. 35 round bales in the barn tonight along with 1 wagon load of square, about 10 more round bales worth of hay yet to bale up, just ran out of light tonight. Sure is nice moving round bales with the new Kubota. Hopefully I will be able to finish the new bush by the end of july but who knows...its hay season now!

3rdgen.maple
06-15-2011, 09:21 PM
New sugarhouse!!!!! NICE!! Just pace yourself, have a plan, and the funds, and go to it! Post some before and after pictures so we can see your progress!
Regards,
Chris

Pace myself??? Dont know what that is lol. I really want to get this done. It is one of the reasons why Im holding off on the new rig. Ceilings are too low to get the head tank up higher to feed the new rig, option one is to put an addition on the outside of the sugarhouse but since the place was built after the tank was put in it means one wall coming down, the place could use a new metal roof as well the one on it is getting ugly, I figure if I got to tear down a wall and put on a new roof I mine as well do it the way I want to and start over on the same foundation. Hopefully it will all come together and I can get it done. If its looking too close to snow flying I will have to hold off. Got alot on my plate this summer but like I said dream big. But Im the type of guy that will work through the night to get something done. Being raised on 2 farms makes the rest of your working life a little easier.

KenWP
06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Mail strike up here is making my life miserable. Ordered baby quail back in April and they finally arrived yesterday. Only problem is they mailed them and the post office locked out the workers and they got returned to the hatchery and then sent by courier. I went in the middle of the day to get them and that was a good idea as they were pretty weak.Lost 6 out of 48 in a hour but the rest seem to be trying to eat me out of feed. I never seen such tiny birds in my life.Was almost scared to pick them up to dunk their beaks in water.
Have my summer all planned for me now. Have to baby sit ducks,geese,quail,turkeys ,partridge and pheasants. Plus cut wood and work all at the same time.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Mail strike up here is making my life miserable. Ordered baby quail back in April and they finally arrived yesterday. Only problem is they mailed them and the post office locked out the workers and they got returned to the hatchery and then sent by courier. I went in the middle of the day to get them and that was a good idea as they were pretty weak.Lost 6 out of 48 in a hour but the rest seem to be trying to eat me out of feed. I never seen such tiny birds in my life.Was almost scared to pick them up to dunk their beaks in water.
Have my summer all planned for me now. Have to baby sit ducks,geese,quail,turkeys ,partridge and pheasants. Plus cut wood and work all at the same time.

My brother-inlaws nephew raise a few differnet types of birds there pretty cool, I think he is or is going to do quail guess there is a pretty good market for them

Sugarmaker
06-17-2011, 09:30 PM
More wood cutting planned for tomorrow. If things hold together should be at the 7.5 cord mark.
Bee meeting in the P.M. I did take off some spring honey, and will try to get that extracted Saturday also, should be about 50 Lb.
Also rebuilding a junk Cub Cadet 42 inch mower deck for one of the Cub tracors probably the 102.
Always nice to have several projects going so you don't get bored with one thing:).
Regards,
Chris

KenWP
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Quail start to lay eggs by 6 to 8 weeks and take all of 16 days to hatch.I am hoping to hatch a few myself before fall and see if I can do it. I might try and hatch some other birds next year also.Had a few chickens hatch this year and tried to hatch ducks but for some reason the eggs are not fertile. I only have female turkeys and can;t find a male anywhere for them.I have so far been eating the duck and turkey eggs myself. 2 duck eggs and two turkey eggs makes for a good breakfast for me.

red maples
06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
The farm down the street sells goose eggs. you only need 1 for a breafast they are huge!!!

My first time with meat birds...cornish rock x, These things are mutants...if they run outta food for an hour as soon as you feed them its like you haven't fed them in a week!!! huge bodies little head right now!!! 4 weeks old fewe more to go.

Chores are getting done slowly...too much school and softball related stuff with daughter. but its all coming to close by next week so hopefully I will have a little more time to get stuff done!!!

Dan W
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
I've been splitting wood for an hour or two every day. Keep chipping at it and I will be done in a week or so. So I thought until last night when something let go on the motor of the new Mule. Dropped it off at the dealer first thing this morning. They said it could be up to a month if they have to rebuild the motor. That sucks because I use it just about every day.

Dennis H.
06-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I now have all my syrup wood cut, split and stacked. :D

I am now working on the cupola modifications. I want the doors to swing up instead of down. It sure is hot working up in the top of the cupola!

I have been now looking around for someone to make a hood for me. I am not sure if I have the time to do it myself. I know there is a guy that Brandon told me about down below Somerset that he used to get a hood and stack made. He is amish so I am not sure what is the best way to get in touch with him. I have both his address and the community phone number. I am thinking about leaving a message at the number.

Syrup sales are still going, slow and steady. I now have maybe about 7 gals left to sell.

3rdgen.maple
06-19-2011, 12:23 AM
I've been splitting wood for an hour or two every day. Keep chipping at it and I will be done in a week or so. So I thought until last night when something let go on the motor of the new Mule. Dropped it off at the dealer first thing this morning. They said it could be up to a month if they have to rebuild the motor. That sucks because I use it just about every day.

A month??? Time to look for a new dealer. That is crazy. If a racer can tear up a big block 468 and have it back on the track in a couple days a little motor in a UTV should be a snap. I would question that one and find out what there reasoning is behind the month.

220 maple
06-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Dennis H.
You are talking about Matlick Metals, I believe his surname is Beachy. I had them make me a stack base and one 10 foot section of smoke stack, All stainless. He made both items under four hundred dollars. That was three years ago. I suspect his prices have risen since then.

Mark 220 Maple

red maples
06-19-2011, 07:44 AM
A month??? Time to look for a new dealer. That is crazy. If a racer can tear up a big block 468 and have it back on the track in a couple days a little motor in a UTV should be a snap. I would question that one and find out what there reasoning is behind the month.

Yeah but in a Race car(Depending on what type of race and money involved) they usually have back ups. and they tear down the rest of the blown motor to see what went wrong and then fire the machinist or who ever. And you have to remember the racers don't have all junk on top of the motor all stupid computer sensors, Polution stuff, etc etc etc. Racing motors are complex for power but a hell of alot more straight forward like all motors USED TO BE!!! but like I say "new and improoved not always better" but you must take it someone to fix !!!! So difficult to work on a vehicle yourself anymore. But yes a month thats a long time!!!!

Dennis H.
06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
220Maple, that is the place, I didn't know that it was called Matlick Metals but his name is Elmer Beachy.

How did you get in touch with him? Did you call 1st, stop by or mail the info to him?

220 maple
06-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Dennis H,
I just dropped in. I was at Henry Brenneman's getting supplies and he gave me directions.
I would suggest using Henry as a go between, his number is in the Leader, CDL, and Dominion Grimm catolog. You will need to leave Henry a message on his voice mail, he may have a used item or two that you could use? If your needing Maple supplies Henry has it. I was there Tuesday and purchased enough glass to get me thru the Summer and maybe even the Fall Festivals. Henry's is located with in 5 miles of Matlick Metals.

Mark 220 Maple

Jim Brown
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry Guys I may have posted in the wrong forum. I thought the one for evapoators was the place to put it! We always wanted one for shows and farmers markets for the HOW DO YOU MAKE IT GUY. Now we can show them

Still learning !

Jim

heus
06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Jim I bet you could evaporate a half pint per hour on that rig.

220 maple
06-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I was told that some kid had a toy evaporator that actually works, he made it in shop class and was demostrating it at the Highland Maple Festival in Virginia in March of this year. Probably a big rumor. If true it will be perfect for the days that it warms up for a hour. Just kidding. He could sell them to producers who do festivals, farmers markets, school programs and anything else were a producer needed to show what and evaporator looks like?

Mark 220 Maple

Maplewalnut
06-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Jim - love it and we to get that same question. Tough to tell, what are the dimensions? I have been looking for someone to do a toy model for demonstrations.

Mike

Jim Brown
06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Mike: Its 6 inches by 18 inches all stainless. The guy that built it swears he will never build another one due to the time and effort involved

Jim

3rdgen.maple
06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
What a great weekend and productive as well. Daughters dance recital saturday, went to my usual saturday night home at the speedway and won 1720 bucks on the 50/50, sunday she took me Flyfishing and had a great time, and sunday night she wanted to go in the woods with me and put some laterals and drops up, then later we sprayed roundup on the new foodplot going in. Hope everyone had as good of a fathers day weekend as I did.

jmayerl
06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Well was gonna drop 9 big white pines tomorrow and sell as fire wood but I think I will be building an arc instead. 2" monday 3" today and pouring out yet. impossible to get anything done outside for the last 6 weeks its always raining.

Gary R
06-22-2011, 05:49 AM
My wife and I are headed to camp for a few days. We'll probably do some sight seeing early next week. If anyone is around during the day in North/Central PA or Southern tier of NY I'd love to stop in and talk maple. PM me if anyone's interested. Thanks!

Jim,

At first I thought you'd have to get Darlene here own truck to haul stuff to the markets. I guess you can throw that one in the back seat:)

Sugarmaker
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Still filling the wood shed.
Jim Brown, Yes we like our scale model too. Works good at shows to educate folks on the arch and pans.
Chris

KenWP
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Had a weird day yesterday.I had to go to town to get a few more baby quail to replace the poor ones they sent me and these were even smaller then last weeks but very healthy. Then I was in the greenhouse getting water for them and heard what I thought was a bee.Turns out a hummingbird was trying to get out thru the plastic roof and was not getting anywhere.I climbed up and caught him and took him to show she who must be obeyed and then opend my hands and he flew away. He was almost bigger then the quail.
Then my weird freind called and asked if I had a winch.Turns out he had some kind of spell and drove his lawnmower in the lake.Big thing is he drove it over a bunch of stuff to do it.I got it out for him and it's drying off nicely. Who ever said life was boring should live around here.

twobears1224
06-25-2011, 07:42 PM
dang,three days and no new posts..guess everybody is goofin off or very busy!! :D
i,am my own boss for the next 70 plus days (schools out for summer ( and the bus driver is taking a break) i plan on making the most of it.i got some logs out for lumber..some of it is for a tank storage building and the rest is either for my new workshop or a adirondack lean-too i,am building to sell.i started two outhouses today (i sell them) once there done i,ll start the tank storage building and finish the outside of my sugarhouse..i need to do the gable ends yet.i also plan on getting some trees leased..i,am thinking i need 1000 taps to start...and a RO,, :lol:

delbert

3rdgen.maple
06-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Got side tracked from the maple world with putting in a food plot. Once I hooked the brush hog up to the tractor I seemed to find more and more brush to wipe out lol. Lawn suddenly grew twice its normal size, woods trails are looking good, hogged some of the neighbors land ( hope he doesnt mind lol) I just kept going and going for 2 days on tha darn thing. Tomarrow I will get to the reason why I hooked it on the tractor in the first place, the food plot. Blasted around on the 4 wheeler tonight on some of those freshy hogged trails and got home just at dark and suddenly realized my jacket pocket was unzipped and my cell and keys for the truck and the dozen other building keys where gone. Sudden panic set in and went back out for a late night ride on the wheeler again. Found the keys right away and after about 20 calls to my cell phone I found that as well. That was close but good thing I hogged the trails I would never have found the keys.

twobears1224
06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
lol,i know how it goes with a brush hog...but,how come u didn,t do mine too??? i have 6 acres that needs doing really bad.
it,s raining up here today so,i guess i,ll be out in the garage working.it,s a good day to put the AOF in my little arch and get it done.

delbert

3rdgen.maple
06-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Delbert I probably brushed hogged right past your place lol. Rain yeah I hear you it never ends. I gave up waiting for sun and I permanately am wearing a raincoat.

waysidemaple
06-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Finished wire tying the wet dry line this morning and made 200 drops. My girlfriend is now the Endless Mountains Maple Queen as well. Other than that not much maple going on. I have 7 of the 250 ml glass maple leaves and a half gallon jug of B left and I'll be out of syrup. Hoping for some haying weather this week so we can finish up first cutting and get back to the tubing in the woods.
Scott

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 07:18 AM
I got my new door to the evap complete. I wanted to get away from the double door thing and have just one to swing open and close. I made it an air-tight door also. No modification to the arch front so I can go back to the original doors in like less than a minute.

Other than that not much else with syrup going on here.

twobears1224
06-29-2011, 09:15 AM
i,ve been working on the AOF.what,a pain in the butt fitting firebrick around all that piping.when,i do my big arch they,ll be on the outside with just the nozzles sticking thur the brick.
i got my new saw blades yesterday so,i,ll be sawing the rest of the lumber for a tank storage building asap and getting it up.

delbert

CBOYER
06-29-2011, 10:10 AM
i finnaly have time to do some clearing in maple bush,(i know it is not the best time), after have broken to death my Monster Husqvarna 265rx clearing saw, buy a new Stihl fs250,brushcutter, better fit for the work i do now, and a lot easyer to handle.

Dan W
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Got the Mule back from the dealer yesterday. They put too much oil in when I had the first service done back in April. Was told the oil was pushed out the breather tube into the air box. It seems good now. Back to the wood pile!!

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Those RTV's are just amazing aren't they Dan.

Until last year we used a large garden tractor and small trailer to move stuff around. Now we have a Kubota RTV and I can't imagine how I could stuff now without it. Oh and the wife loves it too so that relly helps justify having one.:D

Dan W
06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Dennis you are right. I've had quads since 1998 and the WARDEN would not even get on them. The last one being fully automatic she wouldn't even give it a try on her own. I suppose it had something to do with handlebars and thumb throttle vs. steering wheel and car type pedals. She uses it every day now. It really is the cats meow!! Best purchase I have made in a long time.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Dennis you are right. I've had quads since 1998 and the WARDEN would not even get on them. The last one being fully automatic she wouldn't even give it a try on her own. I suppose it had something to do with handlebars and thumb throttle vs. steering wheel and car type pedals. She uses it every day now. It really is the cats meow!! Best purchase I have made in a long time.

not gonna go there with the woman driving thing, I think Grandma Cindy still likes me:lol::lol::lol:

KenWP
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Best way I found to teach a woman to drive a standard was to buy a brand new truck and have that as the only vehicle.They learn fast when it's that or walking or wait till I have time to go to town.

KenWP
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Any of you guys know where to buy fence posts.I went to the lumber yard and they didn't even know what one was.

Dennis H.
06-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Another thing about an RTV type vehicle, two dudes can ride on it and not be so up close and personnal so to speak!!:o

CBOYER
06-29-2011, 10:57 PM
KenWp,what kind of fence post? around here White cedar is used for cattle fence, ask Coop, or any farmer cutting lumber wood around your place

i found this one on LesPac: Simon Jubinville 819-678-2585 he is in Ayer's cliff Qc, i think it is not so far from you??

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Another thing about an RTV type vehicle, two dudes can ride on it and not be so up close and personnal so to speak!!:o

Awe Dennis your not in touch with your inner self? its ok buddy just a few more vivits to the Doc and you will be ok:D

Dennis H.
06-30-2011, 05:12 AM
The only thing you have to watch what your doing on a side by side is if your the type of person who puts their arm on the back of the seat beside you.
Then you are right back to the same situation as 2 dudes riding a 4wheeler!!:o

Meridian Maples
06-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Well after applying for the first energy grant for a new evaporator in Wisconsin with the USDA I found out today I'm getting it. Tonight the new intensofire is getting ordered!!! I'm pretty pumped up for next years season now going from an old vermont style to an efficient one.

collinsmapleman2012
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
thats great meridian maples! is the grant only available in wisconsin?

Haynes Forest Products
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Heading back to Wisconsin for the 4th and to see how the woods look with leaves. Jimfrom Smokey lake will be coming up for a visit. We will no dought be reinventing the wheel over a few beers OK alot of beers:) Will be making up a preheater with the new drip tray design.

Meridian Maples
07-01-2011, 06:37 AM
The grants were available nation wide through the USDA (reap grant)

KenWP
07-01-2011, 06:31 PM
KenWp,what kind of fence post? around here White cedar is used for cattle fence, ask Coop, or any farmer cutting lumber wood around your place

i found this one on LesPac: Simon Jubinville 819-678-2585 he is in Ayer's cliff Qc, i think it is not so far from you??

He is the fellow that welded up my dead pig bucket. Co op dosn't have any. I could cut my own but that requires more work then I want to do to build a fence right now.White cedar or Abrovitia or how the hell you spell that word.

collinsmapleman2012
07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
He is the fellow that welded up my dead pig bucket. Co op dosn't have any. I could cut my own but that requires more work then I want to do to build a fence right now.White cedar or Abrovitia or how the hell you spell that word.

Arborvite is how its spelled... you also could use locust that doesnt rot for a while, aand is about all locust is good for besides sugar wood

Sugarmaker
07-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Low maple profile:)
Cheryl and I will be at Goat Fest, Yes GOAT FEST tomorrow in Albion PA. small crowd, but a good time.
Starting the eight cord of syrup wood.
Hope all traders have a Great Fourth of July! Great country we live in!
Happy birthday to Canada too!
Spending lots of time and money on my Cub Cadet family as it is still growing. Brought home a 147 with mower deck and snow blower last weekend. Cheryl was pleased:)
Regards,
Chris

BryanEx
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
LOL... and what does one do at a "goat fest"? :confused:

Flat Lander Sugaring
07-02-2011, 05:28 AM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Goat fest, like Bryan says "what does one do there" guess its better than (sheep fest)

KenWP
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Dads family was from PA. now I know what was wrong with them.Concerned goats.