PDA

View Full Version : UPC Codes

OneLegJohn
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm getting requests for UPC Codes added to our labels. Can some one give me a quick tutorial? I understand the first 5 numbers are vendor specific, the remaining numbers are product specific. Where do I register my products?

Maplewalnut
06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Is this a request or a state requirement? I would love to hear the reasoning especially since UPC is set up for bar code software. In any case UPC is regulated by GS1 and it is not cheap. You will have to get a different UPC for each size you sell. Do your homework, my prediction is you'll be pushing back to the requestor...

Mark
06-03-2011, 02:30 PM
There are a few people selling bar codes on the net. They buy a subscription and then sell off the individual numbers. The problem is when they don't continue to pay the yearly subscription fee the numbers can be reissued to someone else. If you do sign up with the government put a low estimate for gross sales. You don't find out that different sales levels have different rates until you give them your info. I checked a few years ago and it was about $900 to sign up and $300 yearly renewal, but that may have changed. I can't remember what I put for gross sales but do remember that I wished I could back out and do it over for a lower rate.

There is a series of numbers that are never issued so a store can make a barcode if they wish just for their store. One of my stores does that but it is the only one that I know of to go through the trouble.

sapman
06-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I was fortunate that I took over a label that already had UPCs. I think the originator told me it cost around $1500 to set up, and that was probably 30 years ago or so. I've never had to pay a renewal.

Mark
06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
You are one of the lucky ones to be already signed up before they started charging the yearly fees. Anyone before about ten years ago is grandfathered in and don't have to pay yearly.

OneLegJohn
06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Is it $1500 for all products? That's what I mean, isn't each item a separate fee?

The store is willing to bar code the products themselves. However, I got the feeling it was a pain for them. It is an important tool to track inventory and automatically send orders to vendors.

Mark
06-05-2011, 08:18 PM
If you sign up for bar codes you will get a series of numbers to put on whatever you want.
In the next week I am going to sign up and will let you know what happens. I think the $1500 number is a little high.

Mark
06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Some info on barcodes at.
http://www.adams1.com/faq.html

I signed up and it was $760 and $150 to renew next year. That was for 100 codes and it was about $1500 if you wanted a 1000 codes. That was for a very low annual sales and don't know where the cutoff would be for a higher rate.

OneLegJohn
06-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Mark, are you using a separate UPC codes for cases and units, or just the individual units?

Mark
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Only on the syrup containers. They just want that so it can be scanned at the cash register and don't have to enter the price.
I can change the last two digits so I have 100 codes to use.