PDA

View Full Version : Attaching tees

Shaun
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
How are people attaching tees to each tree while running laterals? I remember helping my uncle tap years ago, he would place a nail through the tee and drive it into the tree. Is it better to run from tree to tree in a straight line as possible rather than using the Y connectors?

The picture of the end rings I see only have two connection points. Do they make these with three to be able to wrap around the tree and also attach a drop line at the end tree? Do you use these rings at every tree? I would hate to drive nails in all my trees. I would like to see someones setup, I have to ask for now.

Thanks

adk1
06-02-2011, 07:13 PM
How are people attaching tees to each tree while running laterals? I remember helping my uncle tap years ago, he would place a nail through the tee and drive it into the tree. Is it better to run from tree to tree in a straight line as possible rather than using the Y connectors?

The picture of the end rings I see only have two connection points. Do they make these with three to be able to wrap around the tree and also attach a drop line at the end tree? Do you use these rings at every tree? I would hate to drive nails in all my trees. I would like to see someones setup, I have to ask for now.

Thanks

Not many use nails anymore. Guess I dont understand what you encle did. Only the ends of the laterals are hooked to anything anymore, usually with a fitting and wrapping around the tree and a hook on the mainline attaching to the wire. Check some of the people on this sites pictures etc, there are many that show their setup

Shaun
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
If I understand the tee where the drop line is installed is held in place with tension alone?

adk1
06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
that is correct. Search on this site installing laterals or something. you will see many threads on it.

220 maple
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Shaun,
I have a 1000 tap leased bush, no nails. I have two different styles of endrings in use. One is permanent the other has a hook and can be taken down. All end rings only have one drop line, if the tree is large enough you add a tee and another drop on the other side of the tree, I have several end trees with two taps. I would suggest that you attend a tubing seminar if one is going to be held near you before next spring. Another option is to try and find someone with a new tubing set-up near by and go visit. About 99% of Maple producers are willing to help someone new get started right, that how it is where I'm located.

Mark 220 Maple

3rdgen.maple
06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Where in Upstate NY are you?

brookledge
06-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Shaun
What I have done in recent yrs. Is to go out to the last tree on a given lateral and use a IPL end line hook. Then go around the few trees weaving back to the main line. At the main line I use hollow core nylon rope to slide over the 5/16 and tie to the main line or a tree. You can also use a 5/16 connector with a hook for the main line but I prefer the nylon rope because you have more options to tie it to. And it can be tightened up at a later time whereas the hook fittings would need to be cut and then shortened.
Anyways the lateral stays nice and tight and in place. And should you need to take the lateral down all you need to do is go to the end line hook and unhook it, never cutting it.
When I began using tubing in the late 70's I used nails(really no other option since the manufactuers hadn't evolved to where they are today). The best type I found was the double headed type used in construction that can be pulled out afterwards. I would back the nail out a little every other yr or so and that way the tree never grew over or around the tee.
Keith

red maples
06-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Hollow core nylon is the way to go I tried it last year and it was easy, tighter, what ever. they have UV treated stuff that lasts longer than the yellow stuff.

Nails are old school the fittings still come with nail hole but dont' use nails.

1. Stretch tubing, weaving from tree to tree. as straight as possible but you will run into a few tighter angles it's basically impossible to avoid in some places.

2. then I just tie it onto the last tree. and the main line. at the mainline I use the lapierre end line slide hook they work great and there is no connection.

3. then simply walk along and put in Tee's but make sure you hit the second barb thats very important. Otherwise your lines will fall apart and or leak. Or if your pulling them tight afterwards they will come apart and you will hit the ground with fittings tools etc flying everywhere and you get a sore butt(that comes from experience:emb:)

4. a 2 handed tubing tool will work best but I have a 1 handed tool that is some times a little challenging but works just fine.

5. for the end tree I know recommend the Hollow braid rope but the lapieere end line slide works great as well. just a little more expensive. you can make the rope adustable too if you a fairly strong wire hook you can tie it to the end of the rope and just insert it throught the rope weaving and it will hold tight. and its easy to take down if or should say when a tree falls on it or you need to take out a tree. etc

hold this helps.

maple flats
06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Shawn, Where in upstate NY. If close enough I can show you at my new bush next month, as I will be starting to install it. I could also show you some roadside trees in my other bush, with things all set up already. These are both just south of Oneida (zip 13421 for google maps) a few miles.