PDA

View Full Version : background lead levels

Brent
05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
We had our annual test by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and we were well below the allowable levels of lead.

I can't think of any possible contamination from our gear, other than a couple of brass valves.

I know there is some lead everywhere. In soil, in the rain, in the trees etc. Does anyone know what the average is for background lead levels?

If we're at or near the background levels, there's nothing we can do to reduce that and I'll be happy with it. I don't want to waste time chasing my tail.

maple maniac65
05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Here in New hampshire it used to be 250 parts/million. Since I have all certified lead free equipment, I do not pay that much attention to the lead issue. If someone was using all buckets, letting the sap get warm in them. Putting the sap into a galvanzied storage tank that sat in the sun then boiled in granpa's english tin pan lead soldered then I would worry. With modern equipent lead is not a big issue in 2011.

Brian Ryther
05-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Here in New hampshire it used to be 250 parts/million. Since I have all certified lead free equipment, I do not pay that much attention to the lead issue. If someone was using all buckets, letting the sap get warm in them. Putting the sap into a galvanzied storage tank that sat in the sun then boiled in granpa's english tin pan lead soldered then I would worry. With modern equipent lead is not a big issue in 2011.

I would have to disagree with you on the lead issue. How meny times a year does somebody post on this public site weather or not a old set of pans is ok to boil on? What percentage of producers does this site reflect? Not that meny. I visit a lot of sugar houses in my region every year. I see a good percentage of them with evaps from the 1960's and 1970's. I also see every road side tree taped with old galv buckets, or gravity lines dumping into galv stock tanks every where. I would be willing to bet that most of the syrup consumed in my region was produced with lead soldered equiptment.

maple flats
05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Lead comes from several sources besides lead bearing maple equipment. There is some lead naturally in the soil, the amount varies widely. Roadside trees carry some lead from the leaded gas days, and the possibility of a lead bullet or slug in a tree or more is possible too. I am sure there are other possiblities too. Find out what Ontario allows and only be concerned with that.
When I was tested I asked how I would know. The Agg and Markets guy who bought a qt to test said I would only know if I failed. I told him I wanted to know and he sent me a test report about 6-7 mos later. I was at about 1/3 of allowable. This was with a lead free soldered evaporator, leadfree canner and all leadfree equipment from tree to jug EXCEPT I was using about 90 old sap buckets and I had about 75 taps on tubing on roadside trees. I thought this was good.
I no longer use any buckets but I do have about 60 roadside taps out of 710 total.

Brent
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
250 seems to be the maximum allowed anywhere.

What I am trying to find is what levels an average producer is getting from all the natural occuring lead ... with nothing added by equipment that has lead.

Given the amount of lead we spewed out of our exhaust pipes I don't think anyone can come up with a zero parts of lead.

DrTimPerkins
06-01-2011, 08:49 AM
I know there is some lead everywhere. In soil, in the rain, in the trees etc. Does anyone know what the average is for background lead levels?

Not a simple question to answer.

PERMISSABLE LEVELS are those that fall below the ACTION LEVEL of the jurisdiction where you sell your syrup. Often this is 500ppb. In some places (like Vermont), it is 250ppb. Below this ACTION LEVEL there is nothing done by the authorities. If you are close to the ACTION LEVEL, you might consider changing equipment or processing techniques to lower the lead level somewhat. Above the ACTION level the laws and regulations in your particular area dictate what occurs...but chances are you won't like it.

DETECTION LEVELS vary by the method used to measure lead in maple syrup. Often this is somewhere around 30ppb. Some tests can go down to < 5ppm, but typically this is not done. So a test may come back and say "below detection limit" or BDL. This doesn't mean that you have ZERO lead in your syrup, just that it is so low that you couldn't test it. Think of it as trying to measure out a teaspoon of gas using a 5-gallon container. You might be be able to smell it, but you can't pour it out to measure it because there just isn't enough there.

We tested down to a detection limit of 1-2ppb and couldn't find lead in sap from trees tapped with lead-free materials. That means there is NO lead, or almost NO lead found in maple sap. So the average "natural" sap lead level is < 1ppb.

As for the lead in the trees, soil, and air....basically 1) there is very little there to begin with and 2) it doesn't end up in sap (to within the level of the detection limit). Trees, like the vast majority of organic life forms, have no need for lead, and it can be damaging to some of their functions. So they tend to "complex" heavy metals with organic substances and bind it in place. Very little lead ever even gets into plants....it is complexed within the soil and in the roots. So the trees never take it up. If it does wind up there (bullet), it gets fixed in place very quickly. So in essence, to within the limits of detection, there is no lead in sap naturally. This is a VERY good thing. If there were lead naturally in sap, you couldn't eliminate it, and therefore as sap was boiled the lead would become concentrated. Rather, because lead is introduced by equipment, or road-side dust, or sugar sand, that contains lead. Therefore we can be careful about NOT introducing lead in any of these ways.

red maples
06-01-2011, 09:24 AM
One of the requirments for sap storage is keeping it covered. most of us boil less than 24-48 after sap collection. with modern tubing There are fewer areas for the sap to be in contact with microscopic dust or plant material that my have dust on it that may contain lead.

Part of the problem with older buckets is knowing if they were made before or after the lead free bucket cut off date. I purchursed my 10 buckets in Vermont 3 years ago Used, but I know they don't make them anymore but I don't know if you can still sell used leaded Galvanized buckets in VT.

I only use a few buckets I have mostly tubing, evap is welded stainless, and use poly storage tubs for now until I invest in stainless. So hopefully I have minimized my lead to sap exposure.

Brent
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks once again for that explanation.

The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture trips around buying syrup from anyone they can find that produces it. They just show up, unannounced, buy a bottle and THEN present us with a card stating it will be tested for colour, density, and contamination. There is normally no further contact unless there is a problem discovered. But this year my wife decided to call to see how ours tested. Everything was good, including low levels of lead. So I've been scratching my head trying to figure out where the lead came from. With about 475 taps on the vacuum and 100 on buckets, the only place I can think of is the spiles and they look like stamped/formed stainless steel. But we do have some 50 trees on buckets. They have galvanized holders that get hung on what I think is a zinc die cast, or maybe aluminum cast spile. The evaporator is a Leader only 5 years old. No bronze Oberdorfer pumps.

The technician at the Ont Ministry of Agriculture was quite pleased that we called to enquire about the testing. Apparently almost nobody does. So when my wife expressed concern about the lead, she explained it was way below limits but then said she would send us out a test kit so we could try to track it down.

Anyone know that the material is that in the spiles for bag holders. Certainly when they are blowing in the wind there is some mechanical abrasion that could get filing like particles in the sap.

smokeyamber
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Have there been any tests done on how much lead comes from using galv buckets ? I use them on my 30 taps, just wondering if it's a big issue. Everything else is lead free for me. Are there liners that are food grade for use on buckets ?

adk1
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Have there been any tests done on how much lead comes from using galv buckets ? I use them on my 30 taps, just wondering if it's a big issue. Everything else is lead free for me. Are there liners that are food grade for use on buckets ?

This issue is not a new one. I was planning on using a stock tank that was zinc coated etc becuase of the low cost, that that my friends is what it all boils down to. Cost. If the cost of changing out all of the Freebe, handmedown galvanized equipment was not extradanory then more people would do it. SS is super expensive and polyethlene is alot more expansive than galvanized.

DrTimPerkins
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
But we do have some 50 trees on buckets.

That is probably the source. Some can come from metal spouts (spiles) depending upon the metal used to make or coat them. Some evaporator fittings as well.

The other oddball place lead can come from is buying sap. If the seller uses lead-containing sap collection/transfer equipment, the sap will have lead.

DrTimPerkins
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Yes, there have been studies done at UVM PMRC on lead from buckets. It can range from a little to a lot, depending upon what the composition of the bucket is (galvanized material, lead-soldered, ternplate bottom, etc.) and the storage time and temperature.

I've seen some people use food-grade bags (not trash bags) as bucket liners. Unless you get thicker plastic, they are not real durable. And before somebody asks about it....we have not found a suitable food-grade paint made for prolonged food-contact that can be used to coat the inside of buckets that can be put on by an end-user.

smokeyamber
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the response DrPerkins, guess I need to consider going to tubing to eliminate the buckets, :cry:the ones I have are hand-me downs so no idea how old or what they were made of. They are leader brand though. Figure at least 30 yr old though. May go with food grade 5 gallon buckets to replace them, though I really love the sound of all those buckets plinking when the sap is running :)

Seems like there would be a huge market for some kind of liner that was food grade, wonder why no one has come up with one yet ?

Is there also a home lead test that would determine if lead is present in buckets ? Maybe by filling them with water and testing the water ?

DrTimPerkins
06-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Is there also a home lead test that would determine if lead is present in buckets ?

There is an inexpensive lead check kit available in many hardware stores. You run the stick on the material (especially the solder and bucket bottom) and it turns pink if lead is present.

smokeyamber
06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks Tim, I will get a kit and test, I did run across this online for a coating : http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Camcote-1qt/productinfo/615/ it does not mention how well it seals in lead, but looks promising. Bee people are very fussy about purity just like us maple guys :D

Added note : Just found your reply to a question about Cam cote from last year... sounds like it "may" help, but maybe I need to check directly with the manufacturer on the food safe claim ?

red maples
06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
So I think there would be a good market for bucket liners. tank liner etc. I looked around and couldn't really find anything. they have very specific sized bags none of which would fit a bucket or the such, that would be thick enough to be durable.

maybe dr. tim could look into it with one of the maple companies. Although the plastic thing does come into play yet again. More plastic trash...not really green, but it would be an inexpensive way to help lead contact with sap! they could be disposable so it would be easy.

adk1
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I would think if company came out with a non disposable polyethlene plastic bucket insert that would be the way to go. something that would slip down inside of the sap bucket and could be pulled out to be cleaned. I would image to keep the costs down, it would be something flexable and not intended to be used to hang on the tree as is..
as long as it was considerable less expensive than buying new buckets, I think they would sell

smokeyamber
06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
How about this for a liner, assuming it could be cleaned and re-used ?

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

20MFS30
20"x30"
Must order in multiples of 10 PAKVF4
Foodgrade
4.3 mils
5 or 6 gallon pail liner. 150 10

10-40 @ $1.48ea
50-140 @ $1.32ea
150+ @ $1.08ea
300-1500@$0.95ea
1650+ @ $0.885ea

It is a bit more expensive than the coating, but if re-usable I would do it. Everyone says they are tough liners too...

I'm leaning this way...

3rdgen.maple
06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Smokey that looks like the stuff that the Amish use but they hang them right from the tap. Why hasnt any one mentioned aluminum buckets? I phased out my lead soldered galvanized ones and bought aluminum ones. The ultimate replacement is vac and tubing.

smokeyamber
06-03-2011, 09:50 AM
3rdgen, thanks for the info.... Amish huh? Well nice to know it's been done. As to tubing, I only have 31 taps now so the most tubing I plan to do is for dump stations up on my hillside. Kids like checking buckets, so that's mainly why I want to use them. Gotta keep the family involved if you do this just for family. Sounds like the bags are the best option at this point...

NH/Pete
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Could you use the Sap Saks?

smokeyamber
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Sacks are an option, but re-use, renew, wear it out is my motto. The buckets are in great shape and the inserts hopefully can be washed and re-used. Plus the sound of plinking sap is so nice on a spring run day ! :D

If a coating comes out that works as well I would love to got that way, sounds like it doesn't really exist yet or may not be durable enough if you stack buckets in one another.

Still will test the buckets for lead to see if they are an issue before I buy the inserts.

Thanks everyone for the input !

BryanEx
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
We had our annual test by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and we were well below the allowable levels of lead.
Can Ontario producers voluntarily submit samples to OMAFRA for lead testing and/or are there any other places that will test syrup?

- Bryan

heus
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Bryan I think Atkinsons in Barrie does discreet lead testing. They send it out somewhere.

KenWP
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
They say right on their web site they keep it confidential.Just don't count on them buying it if it comes back super positive.

BryanEx
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Bryan I think Atkinsons in Barrie does discreet lead testing. They send it out somewhere.

Any idea where they might send it out to and if it could be sent directly? I'm not concerned about lead in my own syrup but I am working on a list of testing facilities for both Canada and the US. I'm just not sure where Canadians can get tests done of their own accord.

- Bryan

argohauler
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Any idea where they might send it out to and if it could be sent directly? I'm not concerned about lead in my own syrup but I am working on a list of testing facilities for both Canada and the US. I'm just not sure where Canadians can get tests done of their own accord.

- Bryan

I think that you can get a list of labs that will do it, but for some reason I think I remember that OMAFRA may not recognize it. It has to be an approved government facility. Just remembering back 4 to 5 years ago.

I think OMAFRA's testing is done in Guelph.

When OMAFRA tested my syrup it was free and they bought the syrup they tested. They took 2 250ml bottles. The lead threshold was .5 PPM at the time.

Brent
06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
For Ontario readers, we got the lead check kit from the Min of Ag and it turns out to be a surface tester. Rub it on the pan or joint and if it changes colour its got lead. Not suitable for testing syrup and not very sensitive.

ennismaple
06-15-2011, 02:40 PM

- Bryan

Bryan,

If OMFRA won't test for you try Maxxam Analytics. They do soil and groundwater testing for projects I'm involved with at my day job and their website says they do Food Sciences testing. Make sure to tell them you're just looking for lead concentration and not a full spectrum analysis.

BryanEx
06-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Just received from Todd Leuty at the OMAFRA today... Ontario producers can contact the following labs for independant lead testing;

Hi Bryan;

The labs that test for lead in maple syrup include:

A&L Canada Laboratories East Inc.

2136 Jetstream Road

London, Ontario N4G 4H3

Telephone (519) 457-2575

Contact name: Ian McLachlin

University of Guelph

Laboratory Services Division

95 Stone Road West, P.O. Box 3650

Guelph, ON N1H 8J7

Telephone (519) 767-6203

Accutest Laboratories Ltd.

146 Colonnade Road, Unit 8

Nepean, Ontario K2E 7Y1

Telephone (613) 727-5692

Caduceon Enterprises Inc.

Caduceon Environmental Laboratories – Ottawa

2378 Holly Lane

Ottawa, Ontario K1V 7P1

Telephone (613) 526-0123

Testmark Laboratories Ltd.

7 Margaret Street

Garson, Ontario P3L 1E1

Telephone (705) 693-1124

There are two more labs listed but they have not returned my call yet. Hopefully this will get your list started.

Todd