PDA

View Full Version : Draw off buckets????????

cpmaple
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
First let me start with i hope this is the right spot for this, I had given to me 4 s.s milk cans over the holiday weekend. Three are about 2.5ft tall and the fourth is about 3ft tall will they be good to draw off into from my evaporator my cone filters fit them great? I dont know the gallons of them but hope to find out just to know for myself. cpmaple

Flat47
05-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes - but when they're full, how will you transfer the syrup out of them? For me, anything more than about 3.5 gallons is hard to handle. I hate spilling and losing what I just made. If you can have a valve added to the outside of them, I think it would be better.

maple flats
06-01-2011, 05:01 AM
I pour from pots up to about 4 gal. If these prove too heavy, just know about when to start a new bucket. You likely have milk buckets. Some are for up to 70# of milk, others are often 35# milk size A gal of milk is about 8#. Are they uniform diameter at bottom and then taper smaller at top? Those are the most handy buckets and can still be bought new from some dairy supplies (for less that maple supplier buckets and handier to use.

collinsmapleman2012
06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
im guessing the 3 ft tall one is a 40 qt, which would be about 10 gallons. i use these sizes to collect sap, and its quite a toll on you. for sap its about 80 pounds of liquid, however, syrup would be about 110 pounds.