PDA

View Full Version : Power washing hemlock siding

bigtreemaple
05-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I have hemlock board and batten siding that I have stained twice with CWF-UV stain, the first time clear and the next Cedar color. Now the stain has worn off in places especially on the weather side and it is scaling off as well. Someone recommended using a pressure washer on it before staining again. Has anyone else used a pressure washer on dry hemlock siding, if so did it cause any problems? Any suggestions on putting the next coat of stain on, brush or sprayer?

collinsmapleman2012
05-29-2011, 08:54 PM
I have hemlock board and batten siding that I have stained twice with CWF-UV stain, the first time clear and the next Cedar color. Now the stain has worn off in places especially on the weather side and it is scaling off as well. Someone recommended using a pressure washer on it before staining again. Has anyone else used a pressure washer on dry hemlock siding, if so did it cause any problems? Any suggestions on putting the next coat of stain on, brush or sprayer?

just dont over pressure it, and use a wide band of water. this way you can vary the strength of the blast. then, if you spray on a stain, brush it in well so it sticks, and apply a second, lighter coat by sprayer. i use this stuff on my cedar log home, and like any outdoor stain, must be applied yearly. i still have to do the whole house again....

Sugarmaker
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a project I should be doing soon too. 10 years of weathering has taken its toll. I am not doing this every year.
Will be watching for hints.
Regards,
Chris

jimsudz
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey bigtreemaple, I wouldn't recommend a pressure washer unless you can usea wide fan with minimal pressure. Try a bleach water solution,20 to 1 I believe. Use a pump up sprayer let soak then rinse whith garden hose. You can really do some damage with a pressue washer if you get to aggresive opens the grain and its tough to hide it. Not a big fan of CWF we use Wolmans,get a few more years between treatments. Good luck

collinsmapleman2012
05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
if you use oxi clean it will have the same effect as a cleaning agent, the active ingredients are the same. much cheaper alternative to commercial soaps.

sap retreiver
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
I agree with the oxi clean, mix with water scrub it on rinse off with a hose. My brother was bored and did my PT deck and i thought he was loosing it useing my wifes soap but it worked perfect and didn't bother the wood ie opening the grain. Good luck

3rdgen.maple
06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
If you have unstained wood bleach solution in a garden sprayer, let it soak in then power wash with wide fanned tip. If you are trying to get all the old stain off to restain and get a uniform look your going to need something a bit more aggresive than oxiclean or bleach.. Neighbors fishing camp was literally just doen by a professional company and they sand blasted the whole thing and restained. Looks brand new.

bigtreemaple
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I will try a couple of the ideas and see what works best.

Sugarmaker
06-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Bigtree,
You place was one of the sugarhouses we toured in NY when I was searching for ideas on building ours. I liked your stain and wood siding. You made some very good candy too!

Had the pressure washer out cleaning the lawn tractor and couldn't resist pressure washing a small area of the sugar house. It is still drying out. I did notice that it did leave some telltale marks where I started and stopped. (was using a fairly tight pattern nozzle). I do have wider ones too. Will see how that looks.
Chris