PDA

View Full Version : Local (Western Mass) Source for Pan Fabrication

PapaSmiff
05-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm cheap AND broke. Let me say that up front.

I'm wondering if I should attempt (with my son-in-law doing the labor) to make my own SS pan (soldered, due to limited welding skills) or have someone nearby make one for me. I'll be looking for a 2x4 sap pan and 2x2 syrup pan.

1. Does anyone have a reference for a fabricator in Western Mass that is experienced making pans?

2. OR if I make it myself - In general, will it be OK if I cut a sheet with sides that I will bend up (using a cheap Harbor Freight brake) and just solder the corners? Or perhaps I should leave enough overlap on the side panels to wrap around the corners, spot weld, then solder. I will also add braces at the tops of the corners, dividers, and a top brace from side-to-side in the center of the pan. Will this approach work?

Sugarmaker
05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Papa,
Your plan sounds good. They brake should work good. I would overlap the corners and spot weld them for strength. Then solder the corners. Test with water. Let us know and post some pictures.
Regards,
Chris

Josh Nickles
05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I strongly recommend contacting a pan builder. In many cases they get their material so much cheaper then you and I that the final price, yes with shipping, is the same as if we monkey around for 20 hours trying to get it right. Plus, at the end it is done PERFECT!!! I thought about cobbling something myself but when I priced around I couldn't go wrong buying them. I would call Jim Schumacher. I bet prices are a little softer during the off season too!