PDA

View Full Version : Stack Cover Installation

TroutBrookSH
02-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I bought a new stack cover from Leader, a hinged one that can be open/closed from the ground. Seems like it will do the trick, but there were no directions on how it attaches to the stack. I'm probably being a little dense :? , but I don't see how the hinge bracket mounts to the stack. Thanks for some input.

Greg

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Greg,

There should be three holes in the base. One for each side and one in the rear. If it didn't come with holes, give me a call and I will tell you where they need to be. I changed my yesterday as the stack is different that it was on my other building, so I can tell you exactly where they need to be. :D

304-252-7770

maple flats
02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Like Brandon says. Then run some very light steel cable from each end of the control bar down thru the roof and all you need is to pull one end or the other to open or close the cap. I ran the cable in a loop down and back up, nailed a wire staple loosly to hold them apart and to label them as to which pull is open and which is close. I then have a small spring clamp I clamp to the cable just below the appropriate wire staple to hold position in case of a wind to make sure the top stays how i want it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Guess I am dumb as I always open and close my stack cover from outside on the ground. :oops: Just curious does everyone do it from inside the building or some from the ground. 8O

TroutBrookSH
02-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Okay, I missed that 3rd hole in the back. I didn't realize the cover would overhang the stack as much as it does. What did you guys use for fastners, SS bolts? What's a good SS drill bit?

I was planning to run a loop and open/close from outside, but I'll have to take another look at options.

NH Maplemaker
02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Brandon, I open my stack cover from in side also ! I did as maple Flats did and ran small cable down the back of the evaporator, have a small loop on the end of cable and hook it to a nail so it stays open!! Works great.

Jim L

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Greg,

Any cheap metal bit will drill three holes in the light gauge stack. Use stainless bolts, don't want to use something that will rust! :D

Sounds like I will be rigging me up a way to open it from the inside next year! Why don't you guys send me a couple of pics when you get some time!

danielsappr@charter.net

:D

MASSEY JACK
02-11-2006, 08:39 AM
If you have a stainless stack you can try a regular high speed steel dril bit. If you have trouble then you may want a cobalt drill bit. They work well on ss.

TroutBrookSH
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I installed the cover last weekend, but didn't get around to the open/close wires until today. As my kids say, "it's sweet"! I drilled two holes in the top of the rib of my metal roof, and ran 1/16 airplane cable.

Opening and closing from inside is definitely the way to go. Thanks for the input.

Greg