PDA

View Full Version : Cutting oil tank leads to death on 16 year old

thenewguy
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Heard on the news this AM that a 16 year old teenager in a Ottawa ontario shop class was killed after he was cutting apart a 45 gallon drum. From what i heard they were building homeade barbeques. The drum blew up, evacuating the whole school. i believe it contained peanut oil. Regardless just another heads up to anyone building homeade barrel evaporators, can't stress enough the importance of safety and knowing what was previously in the drum.

red maples
05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Heard on the news this AM that a 16 year old teenager in a Ottawa ontario shop class was killed after he was cutting apart a 45 gallon drum. From what i heard they were building homeade barbeques. The drum blew up, evacuating the whole school. i believe it contained peanut oil. Regardless just another heads up to anyone building homeade barrel evaporators, can't stress enough the importance of safety and knowing what was previously in the drum.

Why would the peanu oil drum explode? well I guess there could have been fermented oils in there which ceates a gas and if the cap wasn't removed hit with a torch boom...alright them answered my own question. thanks.:rolleyes:

Thad Blaisdell
05-28-2011, 05:14 PM
A guy near us almost killed himself about 5 years ago torching a drum.... He can nod and blink his eyes now... The explosion threw him over 50 feet.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Darwin lives;)

Buckshot
05-29-2011, 07:08 AM
. i believe it contained peanut oil. .

Paper I read stated it had contained peppermint oil - a very flammable and combustable substance. The smoke is also acrid and can cause lung damage.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-29-2011, 07:27 AM
I have a 275 tank in garage right now, and am getting people all the time telling me to cut in half make a cooker. I say take it it's yours, if I wanted one that bad I would just buy a brand new tank for 400 that has never had any oil in it.

Key word "Oil"
www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925523

www.docstoc.com/docs/15355289/Peanut-Oil-MSDS

Wardner in Tewksbury
05-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I have a 275 tank in garage right now, and am getting people all the time telling me to cut in half make a cooker. I say take it it's yours, if I wanted one that bad I would just buy a brand new tank for 400 that has never had any oil in it.

Key word "Oil"
www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9925523

www.docstoc.com/docs/15355289/Peanut-Oil-MSDS

Tanks and barrels can be torch-cut with impunity, although you would be better off using acetylene or propane. I've done at least 50 such containers that were previously used to store no. 2 heating oil. Never an "uh-oh" moment. But you are free to waste your $400.

backyard sugaring
05-29-2011, 03:06 PM
We cut oil tanks all the time with a sawzall, it is the only way we can get them out of some basements. The hardest part is cleaning the crap out of the bottom. Like Wardner said #2 oil is the key.

05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
We cut ours with a saws all after we drained most of the sludge

CBOYER
05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I have to make remove one from a basement in a appartment building i own, and sawzall was used. no mess, fast cut (Lennox blade), no fume, no need to evacuated all from their appartment, and no call to fire department or environement.