PDA

View Full Version : Crystals in plastic not glass

vikingHB
05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I have crystals in some of my plastic jugs, but not in my glass containers, and they were from the same batches when bottled. My hydrotherm reading was bang on. The syrup was bottled at approx. 200 degrees.
I don't get it!! If using plastic again should I wait until the syrup cools down, and what temp. should I bottle.
Anyone else run into this problem??

latewood
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
What did you bottle first--the glass or the plastic?

vikingHB
05-27-2011, 05:57 PM
I bottled the plastic first.

latewood
05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I thought perhaps you bottled the glass first and continued to heat the syrup before bottling the plastic.But you did not, so I don't have an answer for you. Also I would never recommend bottling or canning syrup unless the temperature of the syrup is at least 185* or hotter.Syrup will only form crystals when it is over density.I have never had a similar problem when canning in glass,plastic and tin when all were from the same batch and read between 66* and 67*.Sorry I can't help.

BryanEx
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Did the crystals form near the cap or at the bottom of the bottle? If near the caps I would suspect being slightly over density AND a poor seal on the caps. If the crystals are at the bottom of the bottles I too have no suggestions.

adk1
05-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I believe that the temp that you bottled at was good for the glass, but too hot for the plastic. Bottling at a higher temp in glass if better since the glass will cool off faster, hence you want ot keep that 180+ mark for a longer time and the reason for bottling at the higher temp.

As far as the plastic goes, 180-190 I thought was the target temp. Question, what did you do with the plastic jugs once you filled them? Did you let them stand by themselves or did you cluster a bunch of bottles together or even box them while hot?

vikingHB
05-28-2011, 06:50 AM
The crystals are at the bottom of the plastic container. I did place the lids on some right after bottling , but others the lid was not put on until approx 1/2 hour later. I did not box them, or place them close together (2- 3" apart) for cooling.
These were new plastic jugs (all 1 litre) with locking plastic caps.

I don't understand. Next year i'm not buying this type of container. Maybe I'll stick to glass, or try tins.

adk1
05-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Why didnt you cap right away? thought that was important to steralize the cap? The only thing that I can think of then is that the syrup is off density or over 66.9 brix. Ithink someone said that you will get crystals over 69 every time.

latewood
05-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Honestly--I would not be shy about using plastic,mostly all the syrup packed today is in plastic with no problems at all.I think we are missing something here about your canning procedures.Was your hydrometer clean and dry? Was the syrup tested when the temp. was at 211*? Here is a brief chart to adjust readings at different temps.--in Brix

202* 59.5
193* 60
185* 60.4

60* 66.9
50* 67.4
Also important, fill your test cup all the way and take reading with no foam on top of syrup. It's not rocket science,practice makes perfect--have fun!

3rdgen.maple
05-28-2011, 10:02 AM
The problem of crystals forming isnt from the temperature you bottled at. If you go over 190 you take the chance of releasing more Niter. First off get a hydrometer and skip the hydrotherm. They are harder to use in my opinion. What causes crystals isnt the plastic at all. Its syrup thats brought over density. Now your going to say but it didnt form in the glass. Yes you are right but you allowed more steam to escape the plastic from not capping them right away and I suspect that you were already over on the density maybe not enough for crystals to form in the glass YET but enough so when more moisture escaped the plastic you got the crystals.

vikingHB
05-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I appreciate everyone's input on my issue. My take on the problem is that leaving the caps off the plastic containers may have caused evaporation to continue??? I bring my syrup up to between 67 - 67.4 brix.
It's not like I have a 1/2" of crystals on the bottom, it's only a coating.
I have used the hydrotherm in the past with no issues, and I like the idea of having both temp. and brix. I always measure the syrup below 210 degrees as I've done in the past with the hydrotherm.

ToadHill
05-28-2011, 01:09 PM
3rdgen got it right. Syrup begins to crystalize above 68 brix. By going so close and leaving the caps off the additional evaporation that took place raised the density above 68. Once you go above 68 brix you have created a supersaturated solution and some of the sugar crystalizes so the solution will return to a stable level.

I also agree with 3rdgen regarding the hydrotherm. They are not state inspected for a reason. They are not 100% accurate. You can use a hydrometer at temperatures other than the calibrated temperatures. You just need to know the temperature of the syrup and use a correction chart. It's really easy. Maple Guys sell hydrometer cups with the thermometer built right into them. I think they call them an Accucup. Goodrich's gives away calibration charts that you can hange on the wall. It's all very easy once you get used to it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
there is a temp chart to brix on this forum some place, if I'm smart enough I will upload it in the morning just have to use wifes comp and microsoft word or something

brookledge
05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm confused at why you would leave the caps off for a1/2 hr?
Keith

vikingHB
06-02-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm confused at why you would leave the caps off for a1/2 hr?
Keith

I only left the caps off on 1 batch, because I was tied up doing something else. All other capping was done immediately. There were more crystals in the product with the caps off, which is understandable.

latewood
06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I am surprised at the amount of evaporation that could occur through a 32 mm opening in the top of the jug, and cause your syrup to become over in density. I wish my evaporator was that efficient, LOL!!!

vikingHB
06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
No kidding, but I'm willing to believe anything at this time. Maybe it evaporated through the plastic!!!! LOL
I still don't understahd why those few batches were ok in glass, but not plastic. I checked one of my thicker plastic jugs, and surprise no crystals.
Well I will see next year. I will not be buying the same thin plastic jugs, I think glass, tins, or the thicker plastic is the way to go.