PDA

View Full Version : Invert Sugar - increases with age? Freezing?

PapaSmiff
05-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I've read, on Trader, that the Invert Sugar content of syrup can increase with age. Next season, I plan to bulk pack a large amount of light syrup to make candy and cream later in the year. I'll perform an invert sugar test before I store it away.

If I freeze it, is it less likely to increase the invert sugar content? I'm expecting that I'll keep the syrup until Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Then make the candy. So it would be stored for 7 to 9 months before using it.

DrTimPerkins
05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I've read, on Trader, that the Invert Sugar content of syrup can increase with age. Next season, I plan to bulk pack a large amount of light syrup to make candy and cream later in the year. I'll perform an invert sugar test before I store it away.

If I freeze it, is it less likely to increase the invert sugar content? I'm expecting that I'll keep the syrup until Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Then make the candy. So it would be stored for 7 to 9 months before using it.

Invert increases primarily due to microbial activity.

PapaSmiff
05-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks, Dr. Perkins. So I guess freezing should help retard that process. The first year, I'll test the Invert again in October to see if there is any significant change.