PDA

View Full Version : copper pans

hintonsugarshack
02-10-2006, 07:06 AM
input on using coper pans to boil. anybody got some that they use. do they boil faster? why dont you see people use them?

SUGARSMITH
02-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I have a set of copperpans hanging in my barn. I think that copper is associated with lead solder, I know the ones I have are soldered with lead. Although lead free solder is now available, I think that the durability and lifespan will outweigh the benefits copper has to offer.

Also and I think most important is that stainless pans can be welded.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2006, 08:23 AM
I would think they would boil like mad. There is a couple of members on here that use or have used copper evaporators, so maybe they will chip in. With the price of copper, I would think to get a set of copper pans would cost a fortune. 8O

forester1
02-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I think it was Scott? had a copper evaporator and was offering it for sale a couple years ago. I remember back in the late 70's early 80's you could order copper pans from all the makers. I think it was about 15% extra back then over tin. That was before stainless became common.

maple flats
02-10-2006, 11:33 AM
There is an oldtimer around here who has and likes copper pans. I haven't seen them but my tin shop man told me about them and is going to take me to visit this summer and see his operation. He uses buckets and still gathers using horses, that part would be nice because the horses follow voice command, my tractor doesn't, but my tractor only eats when I use it and I don't need to shovel the exhaust. The tin shop guy says they boil like CRAZY

Sugarmaker
02-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I have only seen one set of copper pans on a 2 x 6 rig close by in Meadville PA. They said they boiled well. I believe a Amish fellow made them?. They take a little more work to keep them looking nice. I do have a picture of them.
I am sure price of the material is a big factor too.
CEC

VA maple guy
02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I made a 22x40 copper pan for my barrel evaporator to replace a stainless pan. It definetly boils a lot faster than the stainless one. I uses silfos on it insted of solder. It comes in little flat bars and is the same stuff the hvac guys use to braze your copper ac lines together.you'll need an
welding torch to use this stuff. It also won't melt away if you run your pans dry.

Gerry