PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Sap Question- Agree its a NO NO !

TerryEspo
05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I have seen here not to freeze sap and don't wish to, but, just wonder what happens or what is the problem if you did.

Say you froze sap in March, then pulled it out in July to boil down,,,,What happens?

Learning more everyday here !!

Thanks.

Terry

Bucket Head
05-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, you could do that and make syrup. Frozen sap would'nt be any different than anything else frozen solid. Just boil it quick. It spoils quick enough in April with temps. in the fifties, so July temps. would ruin it quicker.

So, how many chest freezers are you going to fill up with sap and freeze?

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Now you have me thinking about those Popcicales that taste like crap after about 5 months in the freezer. As stated after you keep 40 gallons of frozen sap to get 1 gallon of syrup whats the reason?

Ausable
05-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I have seen here not to freeze sap and don't wish to, but, just wonder what happens or what is the problem if you did.

Say you froze sap in March, then pulled it out in July to boil down,,,,What happens?

Learning more everyday here !!

Thanks.

Terry

Hi Terry - In March we always have sap freezing - You can melt it down and then boil it or just pour off the concentrate sap and boil that. But - Back to Your Master Plan of pulling in out in July and then boiling it - You can do it - just like the other post suggested - but - where the heck do you store it? Please don't tell me in weighted drums in the bottom of Lake Superior - What is the problem with boiling it down in March or April and storing it as Maple Syrup - It takes up a lot less room. ---- Mike

TerryEspo
05-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I do not want to freeze sap.

I was just curious as to why you could not freeze sap. Maybe I am wrong thinking you can't freeze it if anyone wanted to.

Originally, I just wanted to know what happens to sap if you did freeze it, why it goes bad.

So, it sounds like you can freeze sap if you wanted to ??

Thanks.

Terry

BryanEx
05-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I freeze about a gallon of sap every year to cook our Easter ham in and haven't had any issues with quality but I'm also not processing it into syrup either. I normally take early season sap and Easter is a variable but either way we are only talking about a few months in the deep freezer.