PDA

View Full Version : Spigot

SeanD
05-21-2011, 06:22 AM
The only thing I really miss from my coffee urn bottler is the spigot. I could use it with one finger and it shut off immediately with no drips.

I finally found one that will fit on my homemade bottler. Unlike most other coffee urn spigots it has NPT. I just had to neck down the 1/2" fitting on the bottler to 3/8" for the spigot.

Here's the link. There are a bunch listed at once. The one with NPT is item number 16489. There's also a much cheaper one on the site, but it's only rated for 170 degrees.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24276&catid=810&clickid=searchresults

Sean

adk1
05-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Gonna be buying the coffee urn setup soon. looking at a 36cupper. I can only find them that are aluminum inside. Is this standard and ok?

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Well lets see drinking hot Coffee that his very acidic from a coffee make or bottling Maple Syrup from the same thing.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM DO IT.

DrTimPerkins
05-21-2011, 09:06 PM
I can only find them that are aluminum inside. Is this standard and ok?

Just don't leave syrup in an aluminum pot any longer than necessary to heat and can the syrup to avoid it picking up a metallic off-flavor.

adk1
05-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Just don't leave syrup in an aluminum pot any longer than necessary to heat and can the syrup to avoid it picking up a metallic off-flavor.

Ok, thats what I thought, just double checking. thanks

Haynes Forest Products
05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I will add that the two SS water jacketed Coffee makers when cleaned didn't have a hint of coffee smell. Aluminum is a different beast when it comes to getting the smell out. Plus electric pots tend to burn the coffee around the element and will impart a strong smell.

adk1
05-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I will add that the two SS water jacketed Coffee makers when cleaned didn't have a hint of coffee smell. Aluminum is a different beast when it comes to getting the smell out. Plus electric pots tend to burn the coffee around the element and will impart a strong smell.

ok, but I plan on buying a new 36 cup coffee maker and dont plan on using it for anything but maple

lastwoodsman
05-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I bought a 60 cup stainless steel perculator at Sam's club this spring for 80.00.
It worked perfect. I so put the syrup in when it is 150 to 180 and plug it in.
It keeps the syrup at a constant 180-190. Easy to fill bottles with.
It does take to long to heat up if it is room temp. But when just about canning temp it brings it up quickly.
Woodsman

adk1
05-23-2011, 06:26 AM
I bought a 60 cup stainless steel perculator at Sam's club this spring for 80.00.
It does take to long to heat up if it is room temp. But when just about canning temp it brings it up quickly.
Woodsman

Can you post a pic or a model?

lastwoodsman
05-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Here is a web link to a photo on photo bucket. Don't know the model number but they only were selling one. Hamliton beach I think.
http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/last_woodsman/2011%20season/?action=view&current=DSCF0823.jpg
Terry

lastwoodsman
05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Here it is on Amazon---

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-D50065-Commercial-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000ON9TKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306158195&sr=8-1

Woodsman

adk1
05-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Here it is on Amazon---

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-D50065-Commercial-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000ON9TKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306158195&sr=8-1

Woodsman

thanks! Does that spigot handle get into the way though sicne it points down?

lastwoodsman
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I have not had any problems with glass bottles. With the small holes on the tins it is tricky.
Woodsman

GramaCindy
05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Adk1, here is what i did this year… i filtered my syrup off of the evaporator at +6 and finished in a stainless turkey fryer, then took into house immediately if not sooner and put into PREHEATED stainless coffee urn,filtering again (dumped out hot water, used that to preheat my bottle lids) and started bottling immediately, used hot bottles, and lids, no problem. Hope this helps.

adk1
05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
This is my plan as of this second. I plan on drawing off into a SS pail, filtering through a cone filter with prefilter. I will have that 60cup coffee pot preheated with hot water. Once I get enough syrup to bottle at the end of the night etc, I will dump the hot water out, and dump the syrup in through another filter/pre-filter setup. Dont know what the temp of the syrup will be, but I would assume that it will still be pretty warm. Once the temp is back up to 180 (I will use a thermometer) and will bottle. Thoughts?

SevenCreeksSap
05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
You guys are geniuses. I dont drink coffee so wouldnt have thought of this, something else to look for this year at flea markets.

adk1
05-27-2011, 05:53 AM
You guys are geniuses. I dont drink coffee so wouldnt have thought of this, something else to look for this year at flea markets.

This site is unbelieveable as far as information goes, loads of great ideas that have been proven....

adk1
09-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Woodsman

A question has arisen regarding the use of the coffee pots. What do you do to them since they are perculators? Also, I will look for a SS version.

Haynes Forest Products
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
just read all the posts about using elec coffee pots with heating elememts that contact the finished syrup. Do that and THEN we will talk;)

GramaCindy
09-12-2011, 04:58 AM
A question has arisen regarding the use of the coffee pots. What do you do to them since they are perculators? Also, I will look for a SS version.

adk1, I use a stainless steel 30 percolator, but I FIRST fill it with water, get it fully heated, (about 30 min) and then use it for my finished syrup bottling. I filter off of the evaporator into my turkey fryer, (Stainless also) and into the coffee percolator too.

adk1
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Looking around alittle more. I see that Bass Pro Shops has a SS turkey fryer with a spigot for easy draining. Thinking I might buy that and just use it as any other canner would be running off propane to fill jugs rather than doing the coffee pot way.

GramaCindy
09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Looking around alittle more. I see that Bass Pro Shops has a SS turkey fryer with a spigot for easy draining. Thinking I might buy that and just use it as any other canner would be running off propane to fill jugs rather than doing the coffee pot way.

But rememer adk1 that after you finish off on the turkey fryer, (I am assuming that you will be doing that and not drawing finished syrup off of the evaporator)
That you will have to filter it again before bottling.

adk1
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
But rememer adk1 that after you finish off on the turkey fryer, (I am assuming that you will be doing that and not drawing finished syrup off of the evaporator)
That you will have to filter it again before bottling.

Nope, was planning on finishing to 66% or 219 degrees etc off evap. then bringing back to 180 degree temp in the fryer and then bottling. I didnt think you had to refilter as long as you didnt get up past like 190 degrees.