PDA

View Full Version : Drop flue or Raised?

Lwood
02-09-2006, 06:54 AM
As I plan to expand soon, I'm wondering what people think. Is there a advantage one way or the other between a drop flue and a raised flue pan? Any input on this would be welcome. Thanks

Larry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Larry,

If you look back under the old evaporator topics, you will find prior discussion on this topic. There is really no advantage of having one over the other. The main difference between is that one float controls the entire level in a drop flue vs a raised flue which has 1 for the flue pan and two for the syrup pan. Both are great evaporators and they say a raised flue will last longer, but I wonder about this as there are still a lot of drop flue pans out there that are 40 to 50 years old or more. :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Larry,

Here's the link to a past discussion that has lots of info

http://www.mapletrader.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=525

:D

Lwood
02-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I looked through and never saw that one. I Remember the topics on each side of it. I must be loosing it. Anyway Thank You for the link.

Larry

Revi
02-10-2006, 09:05 AM
We have used drop flue, and in my opinion it is simpler. It seems to me that drop flue is like a car with a standard transmission, since a raised flue needs all those extra floats to get the sap to the right level. We started with a DG Sportsman drop flue. We just got a 2x6 7" drop flue from Patrick Phaneuf . Make sure you have a pour off, as it's hard to drain the back pan without it. Try them out. You may like the raised flue better. It's like getting used to driving a standard. You might like the raised flue better. Talk to people who own one, help with a boil or two. Take it for a test drive!

tstew
02-10-2006, 12:15 PM
How do u like your evaporator from patrick, just wondering because I bought one from him last year and I am very happy with it.

maple flats
02-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Revi, I just checked out your pictures on the link above. Great site, good pictures and well presented. I think it will be a great sales tool for you.

Sugarmaker
02-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Revi,
Nice pictures! and Very nice sugarhouse.
Regards,
Chris

brookledge
02-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Lwood if you are planning on buying a brand new one I think you will find that raised flues are alot cheaper than drops are. If you are buying used then I don't think it really matters. Basically go with what ever you find that meets your needs. I had drop flue style for over 25 years and when I priced a new drop flue it cost alot more than the same sized raise flue so that is the way I went.
You still have to then decide on the style of syrup pan. There is cross flow, parralell flow and Leader makes a revolution which is a modified version (a little of both). I have seen people that have cross flow and to me seems like alot of work to always take pans off to reverse the flow. There is pros and cons to each and I'm sure everyone has their own preference as to which is better
Good luck
Keith

lmathews
02-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi people,
I read more info than what I post.One thing I never read being mentioned for the pros and cons is when it comes to wood fired models.My concern is if for some reason you burn old boards or pallets there is nails that could puncture the drop flue.Also i looked at alot of used models and the front of the flues were all banged up,I thought this was from firing.With that in mind this was one of the biggest things i thought of in my decision other than the price.I bought a new 3x12 waterloo last year and I like it pretty well.

Lwood
02-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys. Right now I'm thinking I'll try to find a used flue pan and build my own arch to suit what I'm able to find. I have a 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 paralell flow syrup pan ( welded stainless ). That I thought about using for it. But I'm thinking that I'd end up with something way bigger than I need for 200 or so taps that I would be running next year. I suppose it's better to have more evaporator than not enough? I'd like to find a good set of pans (both) for a 2 X 8. I think that that would be almost Ideal to hold me. Have to do a survey but I should have enough trees for about 250 - 275 taps on my property.