PDA

View Full Version : How about this diaphragm pump?

heus
05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22941_22941
Seems like it would be more powerful than the Bosworth Guzzler and has a gas engine. What do you think?

brookledge
05-16-2011, 07:30 PM
That type of pump is known as a mud sucker or trash pump. It is designed to pump solids along with water. It is used in constuction mainly to dewater a hole while you are working.
As far as it being used for sap, it has a slow stroke and will not give you a constant vac. just a pulsing vac. I don't know how much vac. it will reach though
Keith

Beweller
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
The spec says it will lift 26 ft and is self priming. With those specs it should do a pretty good job. There will of course be pulsations at the stroke frequency. Pulsations in the vacuum will depend on the free volume in the evacuated system.

heus
05-16-2011, 10:15 PM
That type of pump is known as a mud sucker or trash pump. It is designed to pump solids along with water. It is used in constuction mainly to dewater a hole while you are working.
As far as it being used for sap, it has a slow stroke and will not give you a constant vac. just a pulsing vac. I don't know how much vac. it will reach though
Keith

With the ability to pass solids perhaps it can pass chunks of ice also, which would tear most other plunger-type diaphragms.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-17-2011, 04:52 AM
I didnt see where it can run dry?

heus
05-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Yes it says it some where on there.

3rdgen.maple
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
what exacally are you thinking of using this for? If for a sap transfer pump it would work, if you are trying to use it for a vac pump I think your nuts. You a really nice used vac pump for that kind of money.

heus
05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
3rdgen its about the same price as the guzzler that North Star farm uses on 750 taps. I just wondered how it might compare to the Bosworth 2800 Guzzler diaphragm pump.

Monster Maples
05-17-2011, 09:10 PM
what exacally are you thinking of using this for? If for a sap transfer pump it would work, if you are trying to use it for a vac pump I think your nuts. You a really nice used vac pump for that kind of money.

I would have to agree. For half the price of this pump you could go with a releaser and a good used pump and spend the remainder in the woods on tubing etc.

heus
05-17-2011, 09:33 PM
OK I get the economics of used rotary vane pump + releaser vs spending $1500 on a diaphragm pump! However, I would like to know if this pump would work similar to a Bosworth 2800. I am trying to compare two $1500 diaphragm pumps because in my situation I think a diaphragm pump would work best.

3rdgen.maple
05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Not trying to second guess you but I cant see any reason why a diaphram pump would be better in any situation. They pull less vac and pulsate so you get surges of sap instead of a nice steady flow. What are your thoughts for thinking it will fit you better? And I cant compare one diaphram pump to another, sorry just dont or havent used one other than in some equipment in my line of work and I switched out alot of them over the years because they were unreliable.

Monster Maples
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Economics aside, the cfm's are not there with the diaphragm pumps. One squirrel chew or little leak will drop your vac. I went through these scenario's when I went vac. I was contemplating both options and I realize everyone's situation is different. The deciding factor for me was the cfm's. If I would have went with one of these pumps, 10 to 12 days I would have been with out sap. Or quite a bit less than what I did end up with because I had the cfm's to compensate for the little leaks that happened. So I guess for me the economics not only came into play initially, but during the season as well. Either way you go, I am sure you will be happy. Hopefully you didn't take my initial post the wrong way!!:)

heus
05-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Guys I have taken your advice and will be using a rotary vane pump, probably with an electric releaser. Bought a Gast 3040 oilless off Ebay for $80

3rdgen.maple
05-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Good decision and great pump.

Brent
08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Good move. I too think the diaphram pumps would have no volume

I've used the Gast vane pump for two years now and got 19-20" on about 550 - 600 taps. Added a second one this year with almost no improvement, which is a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Brent are they similar in size, HP, CFM and HGs? Could one be overpowering the other.

Brent
08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
The two pumps are identical. Stopped off the vacuum guage needle sits in the same place on both of them. My take is that the CFM drops off significantly at the 20" level, therefore adding the second one didn't give me the extra couple inches I was hoping for ... then again, I bought them both off eBay and not one of spammers that offers and extra couple of inches :lol:

802maple
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Have you checked them to see what the max vaccuum that they will pull all by them selves without them being hooked up to the lines

Brent
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
It's been about a year since I did the test and from memory it was up around 26.5" on both.
They were so close you would have needed a digital display to see a difference .... less than the needle width.

maplemat1
08-25-2011, 10:07 PM
heus hold out on any more purchases their is a maple cosignment coming up the 10 th of september out at ray gingerichs and the list that is advertised looks good so far seminar in morning auction @ 12 noon

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Brent there is the possibility that you are at the pumps limits. If you have two pumps and they both pull 26.5 and then you say together they only pull 19-20. Why did you put the second one on line if you were getting 26.5. If your getting 26.5 your CFMs were fine . If you have 10,000 taps and you put a 1/4 hp Gast pump that only pulls 2 CFMs and you have 24" out in the woods WHATS THE PROBLEM.

Randy Brutkoski
08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Probably because maybe when he gets a leak his inches of vacuum doesnt drop as much because he has more cfms.

Brent
08-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Brent there is the possibility that you are at the pumps limits. If you have two pumps and they both pull 26.5 and then you say together they only pull 19-20. Why did you put the second one on line if you were getting 26.5. If your getting 26.5 your CFMs were fine . If you have 10,000 taps and you put a 1/4 hp Gast pump that only pulls 2 CFMs and you have 24" out in the woods WHATS THE PROBLEM.

I said they got the same reading "stopped off" IE not connected to the tubing. So there was no gain, or at least almost nothing, adding the second pump.

I've got a 1-1/2 Hp Welch that I'm getting prepped to put on this year. I really want to get a few more inches.:D