PDA

View Full Version : vaporizing steam hood ??

twobears1224
05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
i,ve been looking thur some old maple supplier catalogs and in the 1996 waterloo/small catalog they have a vaporizing steam hood.it,s a hood with a liner and preheater built into it.
heres how it works...the sap comes into the preheater like a regular preheater then it goes into a trough built into the bottom of the hood.the preheater has a float on it to keep from running the trough over.that trough is hooked to the float box on the flue pan and a pump.the pump sends the sap from the preheater up to a tube with 1/8 inch holes drilled into it.that tube is at the top of the liner in the hood.the sap then runs down that liner and gets hot.the hood has two steam stacks on it.one comes out the end and thats for the steam coming off the flue pan...it,s on the syrup pan end.the other steam stack is on the top of the hood like it normaly would be.it clears the steam from the sap running down the liner.
has anybody ever seen one in use or owned/used one?? the ad says it increases total capacity by 50% and it looks really simple to build.

delbert

the steam hood is very much A shaped,with a wide trough around the bottom outside and two drip troughs on the inside to catch the condensate off the inside of the hood.

brookledge
05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't remember seeing that but all I can say is it must not have been accurate in their statement about increasing capacity 50% or it would have replaced the other type of hoods and preheaters. I'm curious to find out more about it
Keith

802maple
05-16-2011, 07:19 AM
They were a failure as they didn't do what they were supposed to. Also the syrup made from them was very dark. It was a good idea on paper, but not in reality.

ABS5405
05-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Right around here in my area there are a number of those in use. We use one in our shanty. Not sure on the numbers but i pretty sure we dont get 50% more capacity with it. Those around here are mostly just what I would call homemade. I made one myself this winter for a friend. He uses it on a force 5 3.5x14 he said he averaged about 200gal per hr. likely IMP Gallons. I'm not sure what a 3.5x14 without any hoods would do.
What is the differance between a piggy back and a steamaway? Just the company name? See a few piggy backs around but haven't seen a steamaway.

twobears1224
05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
thanks for the replys..when,i read it i thought the 50% was hard to believe.

delbert