PDA

View Full Version : Where to put pan divider

sandman6921
05-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Hello:
Very new at this so be patient.
I am going to build my own drop flue or thru flue pan before next year. (I have a big old woodburner that is going to loose it's top and have an extension added for an arch but for the pans) -- I am planning on having a 7" drop area. Where do I put the opening for the crossflow? I would imagine it should be at the top of the drop area -- that makes sense on a drop flue, but if I build my own thru flue where should I put the opening? clear on the bottom, or at the top of the drop area? Thanks, Guys --great information and help on the site.

brookledge
05-15-2011, 09:27 PM
With a drop flue pan you typically have one float and keep both the syrup pan and flue pan at the same elevation. So if you are going to build one the sap needs to enter both pans at the bottom of them vs. a raised flue the sap drops down into the syrup pan controled by a second float. i'm not sure if this answers your questions or not. Maybe you can go look at someones to get a visual of them
Keith

sandman6921
05-15-2011, 09:45 PM
The photo's I've seen, look like the syrup elevation is the same in both pans, so in a drop flue pan, the outlet pipe is up above the "drop" area, so there is also a cleanout valve clear on the bottom of the pan (correct?) but I am thinking on building a through tube pan with a divider down the middle -longitudinally. WHere then do you put the opening in the divider? at the far end bottom? or up on the pan at the elevation of the drawoff valve? -- I don't know of anyone around that has a flue pan, or even anyone around that sells them, so questions, questions---

Sugarmaker
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
sandman,
I am confused. Looks like you live in the US, what state, what town, Should be someone near that can help you. Keep asking and we will get the answer for you.
Regards,
Chris

Ausable
05-16-2011, 06:00 PM
The photo's I've seen, look like the syrup elevation is the same in both pans, so in a drop flue pan, the outlet pipe is up above the "drop" area, so there is also a cleanout valve clear on the bottom of the pan (correct?) but I am thinking on building a through tube pan with a divider down the middle -longitudinally. WHere then do you put the opening in the divider? at the far end bottom? or up on the pan at the elevation of the drawoff valve? -- I don't know of anyone around that has a flue pan, or even anyone around that sells them, so questions, questions---

Dang Sandman -- You be making me confused and sleepy too. First - Sap pans, raised flue and dropped flue pans are all the same thing - but - the design is very different - flue pans being more efficient. Syrup pans are usually flat - but - not always. Now the sap pans and syrup pans hooked together make the basic evaporator and both sets of pans have deviders making it a flow thru system. It is like a maze - the sap enters the first sap pan and winds it way thru all the pans and comes out the last syrup pan as syrup or near syrup. The Flues are usually just in the sap pans - whether they be raised or dropped. ------- Mike

sandman6921
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
I understand about flat pans, raised flues, and drop flues. My question continues to be, where do you put the opening (the hole in the corner of the divider) ? I know the divider goes down the middle of the pan , and goes to the bottom of the pan, essentially doubling the length the sap needs to travel to get out-- Where does this opening go? the area that drops is a bit narrower than the "flat " area of the pan, so on a drop flue, I would suppose that this opening goes at the elevation of the top of the arch--which should be the same height as the bottom of the front syrup pan ~ Right?

But if I make a through syrup pan ala the Mason Pan, where does the opening between sections go? clear at the bottom of the pan, or at the elevation of the arch & syrup pan. (Central PA, near Clearfield)

Ausable
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I understand about flat pans, raised flues, and drop flues. My question continues to be, where do you put the opening (the hole in the corner of the divider) ? I know the divider goes down the middle of the pan , and goes to the bottom of the pan, essentially doubling the length the sap needs to travel to get out-- Where does this opening go? the area that drops is a bit narrower than the "flat " area of the pan, so on a drop flue, I would suppose that this opening goes at the elevation of the top of the arch--which should be the same height as the bottom of the front syrup pan ~ Right?

But if I make a through syrup pan ala the Mason Pan, where does the opening between sections go? clear at the bottom of the pan, or at the elevation of the arch & syrup pan. (Central PA, near Clearfield)

Now I'm gonna really bore You and tell You what I have -- Maybe that will help. My rig is all homemade - A flat bottomed 2' x 5' flow thru. OK - Now to devide this 2' x 5' pan - at the stack end are the sap pans - 2 pans 12" x 24" (the pans are made by using deviders) and three syrup pans 8" x 36" also made with deviders. I do not have a float control device for the sap - I just adjust flow with a small valve in the line from the sap feed tank. The sap goes in the first sap pan and flows towards the stack thru a 1 1/2 opening into the second sap pan from the second sap pan the sap goes into the first syrup pan thru a tapered opening which I can plug to isolate the sap and syrup sections if necessary. The part syrup now goes from the first syrup pan thru another 1 1/2" opening from the first syrup pan into the second syrup pan and travels the length of the second syrup pan thru another tapered opening {that can be plugged) into the last syrup pan and on the other end of the last pan is the draw off valve and that is the point for checking the near syrup with the syrup hydrometer or drawing off syrup. As You know there are all kinds of designs and sizes and I'm still not exactly sure what You want -- But if this dosen't help you - I'm sure one of the Guys or Gals on this site can --- Mike

Indiana-Jones
05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Trying not to hijack this thread...But this exactly what I'm working on.

Ausable, would it be too much trouble to get a couple of pictures? A overview and close up of the tapered openings. Plugging holes with rubber stopper? A picture speaks a thousand words.

Your pan 16 or 20 gauge?

Thanks for the help.