PDA

View Full Version : Sweet!

adk1
05-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Was out yesterday checking out a small section of my property that I dont get to much. What a find! I found that I have 24 large 24" plus maples that are right inside my property line. I cant beleive that I havent realized this before. Just never get there much.

Downside, I will have to extend my mainline another 400'..no big deal. Then I will have to buy another 1000' of lateral line. these trees all on gravity. These trees now are the first trees that I will be setting up. I would be crazy not to invest in tapping these trees as they are definatly the biggest maples I have hands down.

Then the question is, single or double taps in them? I know it has to do with internal pressure etc vs external.. curious to know what some of you others would do. With these trees, I will be at 150 taps total. I am pumped!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-15-2011, 08:06 AM
You could easily double tap them and even three on the larger ones on gravity.

3rdgen.maple
05-15-2011, 11:25 AM
You keep this up and your going to have to sell the new evaporator and get a bigger one before you make syrup in it.

adk1
05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
3rdgen, I know right! haha..THe guys that have used the 2x6 for a dozen years usually tap 350-300 on it. But they do have much larger trees overall than I have. When they are cranking, they ahve 10 hour boils though! But I will tell you what, I am pumped!

xyz5150
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
adk1 Sweet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was out yesterday checking out a small section of my property that I dont get to much. What a find! I found that I have 24 large 24" plus maples that are right inside my property line. I cant beleive that I havent realized this before. Just never get there much.

Downside, I will have to extend my mainline another 400'..no big deal. Then I will have to buy another 1000' of lateral line. these trees all on gravity. These trees now are the first trees that I will be setting up. I would be crazy not to invest in tapping these trees as they are definatly the biggest maples I have hands down.

Then the question is, single or double taps in them? I know it has to do with internal pressure etc vs external.. curious to know what some of you others would do. With these trees, I will be at 150 taps total. I am pumped!

Looks like better get out and buy my tubing before you get out of control and drive the price up.:lol: