PDA

View Full Version : Scoops and Skimmers

SapZilla
05-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Every catalog and website shows scoops and skimmers. I've opperated for years and never had a scoop or skimmer on hand. I've been in tons of sugarhouses and never saw anyone useing a scoop or a skimmer. What am I supposed to be scooping and skimming? Just a thing I wonder once in a while.... Anyone using scoops or skimmers out there?

KenWP
05-14-2011, 08:20 PM
They skim off the foam on the back pan and save it and make vineagar.Far as I can tell it's a yuppy thing like owning a Volvo.I use a $1 slotted spoon but if they want to pay that much money for one go for it.

brookledge
05-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I have both and use my scoop all the time. I only use my skimmer for mixing DE fore the sap filter and syrup filter. But the scoop I use to see how close syrup is to being done by seeing if it will sheet.
Keith

Sugarmaker
05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
If boiling in open pans with no hoods the back pan of raw sap will foam up a lot and the skimmer is used to remove this foam which has dirt boiled up into it. It also gives the sugar maker something to do between firings.:)
Since I have hoods there is no foam to skim.
The scoop; I use it to triple check all the fancy gadgets as to whether the syrup is ready or not. Syrup aproning off a scoop does not lie, its ready, and you better be ready to get it drawn off. I actually use the scoop in the second channel to see if I might be making syrup there. Yes I could make syrup witout one its just a old crutch. Oh yea, I also use the scoop to move over syrup when I am making the last batch in the blocked off channel.

Regards,
Chris

Haynes Forest Products
05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
I tried to sell my scoop and skimmer on Ebay and didn't get a single bid. They are in my crawlspace getting dusty. I have a short one for mixing DE but thinking about a paint mixer in my cordless...................FOOD GRADE of :lol:course

U.S.M.C.Cpl
05-15-2011, 06:08 AM
You guys saying having a scoop and skimmer is a waste of time???

Or should you have a scoop and a skimmer???

Or just a scoop??

Or just a skimmer??

You all confuse me!!!

BryanEx
05-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Scoops and skimmers are a lot more useful for batch processing where you need to transfer between open top pans. I haven't purchased the official sugarin versions but I do have a small strainer I use to remove bits of debris I see in the pan and a ladle to check pan depth (the ladle is 1 1/4" deep). There have been times I've been tempted to use one of those big scoops to make taffy on snow. :D

Flat47
05-15-2011, 07:10 AM
If boiling in open pans with no hoods the back pan of raw sap will foam up a lot and the skimmer is used to remove this foam which has dirt boiled up into it. It also gives the sugar maker something to do between firings.:)
Since I have hoods there is no foam to skim.
The scoop; I use it to triple check all the fancy gadgets as to whether the syrup is ready or not. Syrup aproning off a scoop does not lie, its ready, and you better be ready to get it drawn off. I actually use the scoop in the second channel to see if I might be making syrup there. Yes I could make syrup witout one its just a old crutch. Oh yea, I also use the scoop to move over syrup when I am making the last batch in the blocked off channel.

Regards,
Chris

Very well said.
I learned to sugar using both and I still use both. There's no right or wrong way, just your way. There are lots of uses for them.

adk1
05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I bought one of each at the Leader open house this year and I plan on using them.

3rdgen.maple
05-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I would not be without either one. Maybe its just being raised to use one that makes it that way but I find them very useful as well. The Skimmer doesnt get much use till the end of the season when making sub-par syrup. There tends to be more foam and bugs that need skimming. Like sugarmaker the scoop is a useful tool, I like to check the middle chamber for syrup using the aproning method and also to fill the hyrdrometer cup. I have about 3 setes of each, ones and old tin set that gramps passed down the line that hangs on the wall, second set is homade and the 3rd set that I use all the time is SS tig welded that I got at a garage sale for 5$ for the pair.

Ausable
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Every catalog and website shows scoops and skimmers. I've opperated for years and never had a scoop or skimmer on hand. I've been in tons of sugarhouses and never saw anyone useing a scoop or a skimmer. What am I supposed to be scooping and skimming? Just a thing I wonder once in a while.... Anyone using scoops or skimmers out there?

LOL - I have a 2' x 5' flat bottom flow thru and use a fire place shovel for a scoop - finally thought of a use for it when I saw what they get for syrup making scoops. When I have a boil going and run out of sap and have to chase with water I put the isolation plugs in and move the almost syrup forward with the scoop before flooding that section with water - I continue - till I have all the syrup in the last syrup pan and that is ready to draw off. It is a little trick to save the syrup and not scorch the pans. Also do this on the final boil of the year. Another tool You don't use often - but darn handy to have when needed --- Mike

CBOYER
05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
i think it is the difference betwen a Cambell's soup and Your wife home made soup..the two of them could be eat. but home made one have been skimmed sometimes by your wife ;)when cooked..

U.S.M.C.Cpl
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
So buy one of those overpriced skimmers at the maple equipment suppliers or get a cheapo SS one from a cooking store??? Skimmer that is!!!

adk1
05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I am sure it will work. I bought one of each from Leader. I look at it this way. I want to pass the sugaring tool that I use down to my kids and down to their kids too. These are quality tools that serve a specific purpose

U.S.M.C.Cpl
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I am sure it will work. I bought one of each from Leader. I look at it this way. I want to pass the sugaring tool that I use down to my kids and down to their kids too. These are quality tools that serve a specific purpose

Never looked at it that way!!! Good Point!!!

forester1
05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I had my scoop and skimmer handles made from birdseye maple. I got pictures of them on my picture site. I just can't resist picking them up and using them. Get a scoop and skimmer and you will figure out a good use for them.

adk1
05-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I will make my own handles too. I have some figured maple and birdseye that I could use. thinking about one of each

1badsapper
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Those handle look great! Where did you buy the hardware w/o handles? I have some Oak I would like to do that with.

Bruce L
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I would not be without a skimmer,got one thrown in on the deal with the new rig.Myself or one of the kids,wife,etc skim the foam off the flue pan whenever necessary before it boils up on the sides and burns on