PDA

View Full Version : what size vac would i need??????

cpmaple
05-13-2011, 05:06 AM
I have a bush of trees that have 200 taps on it right now and more to come in a few years. Wondering what size vac pump i would need for it. I already have the releaser which i picked up last year for $100 buck. Dont know how many taps it handles but its Horizontal releaser bottom part is 12x24 and top is 8x24 made by cdl. My mainline runs are (3) of them about 6 to 7 hundred foot each. Each of them have around 60 to 75 taps the way my land is makes it so i have to run three seperate mainlines. so if anyone could help thanks and if you have one for sale let me know looking forward to this coming season can wait. thanks again cpmaple (chad)

maple flats
05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Can you tie them together at the low end? The basic rule of thumb is 1 CF/100 taps but this is in a tight system. You always want a tight system and should spend time checking often to fix leaks, but a slightly bigger pump can help handle the leaks you don't find soon enough. I like to be at 1.5-2 CF/100 taps. This being said, a bigger pump is not a cure for a lot of leaks.

cpmaple
05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Maple flats i could tye them together but it would be about 20ft before the releaser my releaser will take 7 lines into it would it be more benefical to hook them all together?

3rdgen.maple
05-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Maple flats i could tye them together but it would be about 20ft before the releaser my releaser will take 7 lines into it would it be more benefical to hook them all together?

I think he was refering to them all going into the same releaser. Which is what you want. I will tell you I ran a Gast 1550 vane pump on a 2 hp electric motor on less than 200 taps in one section of woods and it pulled 24 to 26 inches all season long. Even after it running for days straight It was slightly warm. I dont see a reason for you to go out and spend the kind of money that the suppliers want for a pump. Those prices are insane. Check around ebay and such. You can also check around with some of your local printers as alot of them have old parts machines lying around with good vac pumps on them for cheap. You will probably need a bigger motor for it since your pulling continous vacume versus the setup on printing equipment. This is how I get all my pumps, of old printing equipment I take in on trade. Oh and before you ask Im using all the ones I have lol. If they dont have any just ask them who services there ewuipment and give them a call too. http://cgi.ebay.com/Gast-MFG-1550-V136B-Rotary-Vane-Vacuum-Pump-/120723303304?pt=Pneumatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts&hash=item1c1bab6b88 thats the baby. Posted it on another thread as well without thinking first sorry.

05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
What do yOu mean go to the local printers for a pump?

Haynes Forest Products
05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Don't go to Kinko's Big production printing equipment uses vacuum. You can also look into package handling. You need to get inventive. First do what ever you can afford and move up from there. Its best to have all the mainlines come into the releaser manifold in there own port with a isolation valve.

When you want to go big look for a **** hauler and get the pump off it:) They use the big boys for vacuuming the tank.

3rdgen.maple
05-25-2011, 10:46 PM
What do yOu mean go to the local printers for a pump?

What I mean is I service the printing industry for a living and I yet to go into one (not a copy center a printshop) that doesnt have some peice of junk equipment sitting out back. Almost all the equipment that handles printing or finishing a print job has a vacume pump on it. Mostly Gast pumps. So if you have a printshop in your area give them a shout with the economy the way it is I bet a they would sell the pump or heck some even let me scrap out the machines just to get them out of their. Cheap and they work.

maple flats
05-26-2011, 04:57 AM
I meant can they all be run to 1 point, to connect to 1 releaser. If your releaser can accept 7 lines it is a big capacity. CDL could help identify it by part numbers but really no need until you need a part or grow a lot. Even the smallest releaser will do 500 taps and one that has 7 ports is certainly larger. Horizontals are bigger than verticals too if I remember correctly. But to be sure, get an answer from CDL before expanding past 500 taps.

mapleack
05-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Chad, if the mainlines don't converge until right before the releaser, tie each one into the releaser separately. put a valve and a vac gauge on every single one, so that by closing the valve you shut off the vac, and then watch the vac gauge on that line to see how fast it drops. This is the quick way to isolate leaks and fixing them quicker!