PDA

View Full Version : shipping methods

maple flats
05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I have in the past shipped all syrup via USPS. I now have an order for 8 gal, to be packed in 4x1 gal cases. The shipment needs to go from NY to Nebraska. I get a price of about $50 for UPS and $46 for FEd EX, any other ideas?

jmayerl
05-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Shipping is glass is asking for trouble, IMO.

PerryW
05-11-2011, 10:26 PM
try the USPS flat rate boxes. They don't charge by weight on these, so syrup (being heavy) is usually a good deal, especially for long distances. Plus it ships Priority, and gets across the country in 2 or 3 days.

Don't know about glass, but the Large Flat Rate Box will hold three 1/2 gallon plastic jugs and costs $15.95 to ship anywhere in the lower 48.

The Medium Flat Rate box will hold two 1/2 gallon plastic jugs and costs $10.95.

maplecrest
05-12-2011, 05:54 AM
when i ship glass i find a box that 'the box the glass comes in' will fit in. then i put packing peanuts as tight as i can in and around the glass. tape that box tight. then place bubble wrap on bottom of shipping box and place glass box on wrap.then fill the box with packing peanuts. a piece of bubble wrap on top and tape tight. then i ship priority mail insured.most times i use copy paper boxes. and they have nice tops and handles. can get the boxes at any location that sells reems of copy paper.

3rdgen.maple
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
However you ship it make sure you put FRAGILE labels on every side, or the HANDLE WITH CARE GLASS CONTENTS labels on it. I would also insure it so if there is damage it can be claimed. If you do insure it for a value over 500 dollars they will open the boxes and inspect the contents and packing. So dont seal the box until they look at it.

WMF
05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
The USPS boxes are very light duty and thin. I have had some damage issues using them.
Leave at least a couple inches around your jug of syrup for packing peanuts to be safe.
There are two schools of thought on marking things fragile. One is that it makes handlers treat it gently and the other is that it puts a bullseye on your package for rough treatment.

buck3m
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I have in the past shipped all syrup via USPS. I now have an order for 8 gal, to be packed in 4x1 gal cases. The shipment needs to go from NY to Nebraska. I get a price of about $50 for UPS and $46 for FEd EX, any other ideas?

I think you'll have a hard time significantly beating those quotes for close to 100 pounds.

wiam
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Where did he mention glass?

William

maple flats
05-22-2011, 07:11 AM
I never mentioned glass, but I have shipped glass sucessfully many times. I pack in bubble wrap and double box. My question is how to best ship a 4 gal order. The quote I had for FedEx at $46 includes the insurance and the box. If I add the large flat rate box 2x and the Med 1x it exceeds the FedEx price and I had to pack 3 boxes, not just 1. I fail to see an advantage. For insurance, anyone insuring 4 gal of syrup in gal jugs for more than $500 is hoping it does not get to the destination, but they are just outsmarting themselves.

maplecrest
05-22-2011, 08:53 AM
copy paper boxes priority mail insured

paul
05-23-2011, 05:53 AM
14 cube box holds 4- 1gallon jugs with plenty of room for packing material